Figuring Out Wattage?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Figuring Out Wattage?

I am trying to figure out the wattage of two power supplies.

First one is a 12V-5V power supply with one leg at 5-7Amps.

I found a conversion for amps that was W/V = A

If I reverse that and say 7Amps X 5Volts = 35 Watts (or 5Amps X 5Volts = 25 Watts), is that a correct assumption?

My next power supply is a 12VDC-12VDC Supply with 3 legs at 5 Amps each leg

5X12 =60 x 3(Legs) = 180Watt Power Supply.

Am I even close?

Thanks,
    Josh
    Joshua Jones - New Folk Singer Songwriter & Web Site Design (Yep, that's what it says)
    Plans:
    Micro ATX MB, 1.6 Ghz AMD AthlonXP-M, 512MB RAM, 20G 2.5" HD, Thinline DVD, 10" Touchscreen Display (Front)
    Web Log

Yes.

It sounds like you are in the right ballpark. You might want to give some overhead on that 180 watt estimate, maybe go with 250 watts.

What are you powering?
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Right now just a monitor and a 500mhz CPU w/2 USB devices. BUt since I want to upgrade to a faster processor, I wanted to see if what I had was enough. the CPU runs soley on the 12V-5V converter, and the other 12V peices runn of the second.
      Joshua Jones - New Folk Singer Songwriter & Web Site Design (Yep, that's what it says)
      Plans:
      Micro ATX MB, 1.6 Ghz AMD AthlonXP-M, 512MB RAM, 20G 2.5" HD, Thinline DVD, 10" Touchscreen Display (Front)
      Web Log

Comment

Working...
      X