Issue with my Inverter and PC freezing momentarily

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue with my Inverter and PC freezing momentarily

When I am at a red light or just have my car in gear and stopped for a while, my carpc will freeze up after a while from power drain I suppose. All I have to do to get it back up is to press down on the accelerator for a few moments. This never happens when I am driving or when I just have the car in the accessory power on state (key turned down the other way while parked). I was wondering why this happens. Is it because the inverter is drawing (wasting) too much power from the battery? I've tried turning on my diagnositics to see battery levels and while driving its at ~180 (whatever units) and when it sits idle at a stop, it slowly goes down. And when it reaches ~150 the computer will freeze up. I've tried a 200W and a 400W power inverter and it happens with both. And it seems to happen quicker if say I have the lights on with the AC going. And if I roll down all my windows at once (powered windows), the second they hit bottom, the computer reboots from what seems to be a quick power loss. Does this happen with a DC-DC PSU too?

This seems uncannily like a problem I have with my car pc anyone have answers?
    PC Chips 1500,512mb ddr,no case yet, LinITX 7" touchscreen,300w inverter,RoadRunner FreeDrive,BU303 gps mouse.

Comment

Originally posted by tmar89
      When I am at a red light or just have my car in gear and stopped for a while, my carpc will freeze up after a while from power drain I suppose. All I have to do to get it back up is to press down on the accelerator for a few moments. This never happens when I am driving or when I just have the car in the accessory power on state (key turned down the other way while parked). I was wondering why this happens. Is it because the inverter is drawing (wasting) too much power from the battery? I've tried turning on my diagnositics to see battery levels and while driving its at ~180 (whatever units) and when it sits idle at a stop, it slowly goes down. And when it reaches ~150 the computer will freeze up. I've tried a 200W and a 400W power inverter and it happens with both. And it seems to happen quicker if say I have the lights on with the AC going. And if I roll down all my windows at once (powered windows), the second they hit bottom, the computer reboots from what seems to be a quick power loss. Does this happen with a DC-DC PSU too?

This has nothing to do with your inverter. This is completely because of your vehicles electrical system.

The car is powered by the alternator. THe battery is just there to start the car. When you are moving/giving it gas, the alternator is producing more amperage, but when you sit, the output of the alternator drops. Eventually, it drops to the point that your system notices the reduced voltage and amperage, and it locks up.

You should have your electrical system checked. It is possible that your alternator is on the way out. You could also check your battery, because bad batteries can cause a draw on your alternator, even though you can still start the car.

You can try adjusting the idle RPM, that might help a little (Not sure you can do that with your car), and try reducing the voltage/amperage draw on the vehicle by turning off things that are not needed.

And to answer your question, it can happen with a DC to DC depending on the voltage that the DC to DC sees. Changing to a DC to DC is not the cure for your problem. You need to check the electrical system, particularly the alternator, and make sure that your wiring is capable of supplying the needed amperage.

Michael
      Michael
      ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Does your dash light also blink with the turn signal (blinker) on?
        This is the case of weak alternator output and/or weak/bad battery.
        2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
        89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
        Y2K Accord Dell GX150
        RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
        EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Yeah my dash light also blinks when the turn signal is ok. I suspected it was the alternator issue. Does this also happen with DC-DC PSUs?

Comment

:-D my blazer jsut died today gettin a new alternator i feel the pain :-( and i had the power drain problem too i hard wired my inverter to the battery and it solved it

Comment

Originally posted by xdjxklusivex
              :-D my blazer jsut died today gettin a new alternator i feel the pain :-( and i had the power drain problem too i hard wired my inverter to the battery and it solved it
              How was your inverter connected before?

I guess it is also possible that you are having voltage/amperage issues if you have connected the Inverter to a circuit incapable of providing 10 or more amps, or if you have used thin gauge wire, say smaller then 8 or so. (Remember, the lower the number, the higher/larger the gauge, while higher gauge numbers mean thinner wire)

Michael
              ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Working...
              X