No announcement yet.

opus draining battery?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opus draining battery?

i dont drive my van much cause its nice out and i ride my motorcycle, today i fekt like some good eating so i was gona get in my van and go to McDonalds, it was deader then hell.

my question is, i notice my usb devices still get power when the opus is off and so is the car, all i really have is the gps mouse(rikaline 6010) and the touchscreen on my tview, this shouldnt be anough to drain my battery should it? i mean if my van gets used only a few times a week for a few short trips, should i expect it to drain?

well the opus drained my BRAND NEW GOLD autozone battery in 2 days of no driving, I had that battery for only 2 weeks or so. That was my second battery the opus killed of mine.

Then i got the $160 optima yellow top, its been in there for a few months now and never a problem, i listen to music on it for atleast 30 minutes 5 days a week and with the car not running and I just last week i didnt drive the car for 4 days straight and when i went to start the car, it cranked without any hesitation.

Opus offers a mod they do to kill all power, you can contact them to find out more, i emailed them a week ago and havent heard a response yet.

is the mod free? wish i would have known, i just got my damn opus back from opus. i have a optima yellow top just sitting in my closet, but the engine compartment in my van is so dirty and deformed its almost too nice to put in there.

i thought maybe there was a way to cut the power using the bios on the motherboard but i didnt see anything.

yea the opus 150 still provides 5v power to usb and stuff as per ATX specs. Do a on this forum and you will find out to do a mod using a relay to fix this problem unless you want to send it in and pay opus to mod it for you.

I had emailed OPUS about this problem. I have the OPUS 120w and they said that this wont happen with OPUS 120, supposedly it was fixed, have any of you heard about this on the 120?
          2002 Mitsubishi Galant
          Progress: 90% [-▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓- ->

Carputer Specs:
          Via M10K
          512mb Ram
          60GB HDD
          Souund Blaster Audigy2 NX
          OPUS ITX PC Case

is there a reason someone hasent just opened a opus and tried to duplicate it and make there own fixes for these problems?

for about $20 opus will disable the 5vsb on the opus 150w. I already did it. Just contact them, ship it to them. turn around time of about a week.

Or for about $10, hit radio shack and do the 5vsb disable mod to the opus 150w. The choice is yours.
              The MC of Florida Car PC Meets
              CAR:2001 Ford Crown Victoria
              PC: Acer EEE 900HA with Win7 with CF 2.0.
              Screen:Xenarc 700TSV
              The Florida Meets Thread

is there a detailed description of how the mod. is done?

My guess would be to melt something off the board. Should be easy.
                  Audio: 4 * Rainbow Audio Germs + Infinity Basslink / Case: iStarUSA S3 / CPU: C2D P8700 / MB: Jetway NC64-LF / SC: ASUS Xonar Essence STX / RAM: Crucial 2x1GB 1066MHz / HD: MTRON 2.5" 30GB / DVD: Panasonic UJ-815B / PSU: Opus 180w / LCD: Xenarc 700TSV

why not just flip it off with a relay when your going to let it sit overnight?
                    Is this where the witty comment goes?
                    97 Black pearl Mazda Miata MX-5 Carpc V2? maybee..

My guess would be to melt something off the board. Should be easy.
                      are you kidding or is that your idea of a detailed description, you would be perfect for helping 0l33l writing a help file for navivoice.

it can go something like this...

yeah so tell the stick looking thing what you want and ahh it should be pretty easy.

Here is the schematic for this mod

The PSON is pin 14 on the ATX power connector, and the +5VSB is pin 9.
                        There is a pinout diagram of the connector.
                        Any decent 12V dual pole relay should work for this
                        Attached Files

by the way on some motherboard there is a jumper which allows to set if USB devices have to be powered or not when pc is off, chech your mainboard manual and see if it's possible to do this
                          Peugeot 206 1.4 HDi

Intel Mini-ITX Mainboard
                          Celeron 1.2ghz
                          256mb DDR-2 533
                          80gig 3.5" SATA HDD
                          Sb Live 5.1 w/ KXProject Drivers
                          8" Lilliput TS LCD

100% installed and working :D

excuse my electrical stupidity but what is that device that is on the 12v rail past the 1st diode? It looks like a battery meter?
                            COMPLETE SYSTEM OVERHAUL!!!!!!
                            STAY TUNED IN THE UPCOMING WEEKS!

Originally posted by DJKhan85
                              excuse my electrical stupidity but what is that device that is on the 12v rail past the 1st diode? It looks like a battery meter?
                              it's the relay coil; search this diagram was taken from a huge post with all the detailed information