Lilliput to M1-ATX to Scion xB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lilliput to M1-ATX to Scion xB

I'm getting ready to install my C134 and Lilliput touchsreen into my Scion xB. The general plan is to wire the touchscreen directly to the M1-ATX PSU and then wire the PSU to the car's cigarette lighter wires.

I've got a couple of hurdles, though. Can anyone offer some advice on these issues?

Here's a link to a pic of my motherboard:

- What is the safest way to wire the touchscreen to the M1-ATX? I've read a couple of articles where people split the HD or DVD connector and wired the touchscreen that way. Is that safe? Do I need to wire a fuse between the M1-ATX and touchscreen? If so, how many amps are recommended?

- I'm confused by the 3rd wire coming out of the C134. There is a black, red and white wire with the red wire presumably being the "ignition" wire. Anybody have some advice about what to connect that wire to? Do I need to splice a wire from somewhere in the engine or am I making it more difficult than it needs to be? I can't seem to find an article talking about this in any detail.

- Should I wire a fuse between the M1-ATX and cigarette lighter wires? How many amps?

Thanks for any help,
    Joe
    Attached Files

Don't do that. The cigarette lighter is switched, you want a constant and a switched 12v source. Remove the EGG from the cig lighter wire that comes with the Lilliput and wire it to a female molex 4 pin hdd/cd power connector. You only need to use the yellow and black wires.

I've been running a carPC in my xB since march of 04, about a month after I picked it up

Comment

And then I plug the Molex into a Y-splitter from the DVD and HD? Right now, the Molex going to the DVD splits out to connect to the HD. Should I branch off of that again? Do I need to worry about overloading anything?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jdaniels
        Don't do that. The cigarette lighter is switched, you want a constant and a switched 12v source. Remove the EGG from the cig lighter wire that comes with the Lilliput and wire it to a female molex 4 pin hdd/cd power connector. You only need to use the yellow and black wires.

I've been running a carPC in my xB since march of 04, about a month after I picked it up

Could you give some more details on this? maybe some type of illustration?

Comment

The only pictures I ha ve are the one above. As of now, I've run a set of 8 gauge wires directly from the battery through a 20amp fuse, through the firewall into two distribution blocks. I'm planning to wire the touchscreen and computer separetely. The touchscreen will always be on (drawing power for the LEDs, but I'm hoping it won't drain the battery too much. The computer PSU will shut down completely, so I hope I'm good.

Comment

Just read this thread. or for m1-atx

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53523
            2003 100th harley F-150
            PCChips C3 VIA/eden, M1 ATX smart car.
            Here is my project so far: My 100TH Harley-Puter
            Ride safe

Buy my stuff: Stuff

Comment

I used an inverter in my dash and used the "wall wart" power supplies plugged into a power strip inside the dash and the inverter is wired into the cig lighter circuit. My monitor powers off with no signal and comes on when it sees one. IMHO it is just a suggestion. I should mention that I removed my headunit and there is an amazing amount of room in there.
              The Car 2005 Scion xB

The Truck 2004 GMC Canyon

Comment

Originally posted by fixerofallthing
                I used an inverter in my dash and used the "wall wart" power supplies plugged into a power strip inside the dash and the inverter is wired into the cig lighter circuit. My monitor powers off with no signal and comes on when it sees one. IMHO it is just a suggestion. I should mention that I removed my headunit and there is an amazing amount of room in there.
                Yea, there is a ridiculous amount of room where the head unit goes. You could fit ALL types of stuff in there!

Comment

Originally posted by jdaniels

would this work with a 150w opus? i would wire up the "molex" 4 pin with just 2 wires and plug into a male "molex" 4 pin that goes to the PSU right? would i put a fuse anywhere in there? thanks
                  CarDomain
                  06' Scion xB Camo - CarPC_Worklog - My Air Suspension Setup [6-valve's, Cusco Camber]

Comment

Where are you going to be putting your cdrom. I amlooking for a spot to put mine and i can find one.
                    05 Str8 Black XB

Check out my project so far!!
                    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61194

Check out some other picks of my car!!
                    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/751014

Comment

I have your identical setup... a c134 with an m1atx.

There are three wires, a red a white and a black. Black is ground, red is switch, and white is positive.

Arguably there are better ways to hook this up, but the easiest way to hook it up is to use your headunit wires (you know the million wires connected to the wire harness that plugs into the headunit).
                      For my honda accord, Constant 12V+ is White/Green, Switched 12V+ is White/Red, and Ground is Black, and I wired them in accordingly. For Scions, the colors will be different so you'll want to look at your manual.

In order to hook up the lilliput, I've been wanting to use the J3 "optional HDD power" plug since that wires directly to a molex, but noone seems to know the pinouts of that 8-pin connector in the M1-atx, so I gave up and i used a splitter on the power plug that would have plugged into the 2.5" HDD. Then with the extra plug, a connected a converter to a molex. Then on the lilliput side, I snipped the egg and hooked up a female molex connector. then u just plug it in! works beautifully. Be sure you dont mess up the polarity!!! mark the lilliput wires before u snip and then test with a meter (they're 5 bucks! buy one!!) which one of the two wires has current (and hence is 12V) with a multimeter on the side that's connected to the egg and is plugged in...and match it over (to the side that is connected to the lilliput).

As for the draw from using the y splitter, there's no worry. it all comes from the psu, and you have plenty of Amps to spare. you can use an amp calculator to approximate, but I can run a spare HDD(usb) and a GPS(usb) and wifi(usb) and mouse/keyboard and have power to spare.

Comment

Working...
                      X