Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to power PC while engine is off?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to power PC while engine is off?

Heya,

I'm going to have a 4 camera CCTV system in my FordKa and i am trying to work out what the best way to power the system is while i'm away from the car so the cameras can still record, but without draining the battery. The duration would need to be as long as possible so i could leave them running while i'm in town etc.

Any ideas / experiences?

Regards,
    Rob.

Originally posted by m00ie
    I'm going to have a 4 camera CCTV system in my FordKa and i am trying to work out what the best way to power the system is while i'm away from the car so the cameras can still record, but without draining the battery. The duration would need to be as long as possible so i could leave them running while i'm in town etc.

Any ideas / experiences?
    I just answered the same question for someone else...
    Even the lowest-power computer is going to drain your battery within a day. A second battery would also allow you to start your car in such a situation, however. That is, if you set it up properly.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

definately won't need as long as a day.. max i'd prolly need the cameras running without engine would be 6-12 hours ish... reckon i'd still need a spare battery??

Comment

Originally posted by m00ie
        definately won't need as long as a day.. max i'd prolly need the cameras running without engine would be 6-12 hours ish... reckon i'd still need a spare battery??
        I reckon.
        I don't know if the spare battery would keep it running as long as you want, even.

The battery would have to be isolated, so the PC doesn't drain the main battery used to start your engine.

Searcht he forums here. People have posted about their computer draining their battery overnight, which is about the timeframe you're looking at (12 hrs)
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I have had my system run for over 24 hours on a yellow top...
          1990 Jeep Cherokee
          2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
          2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

If you have the money, make a second SUPER-DUPER low power system that runs 24/7. Any small 500mhz could do it. Then have it boot your main PC for when you get in and out.

Comment

Running constantly is a real issue. I don't know how WebDog did 24 hours! Mine will run the battery down to the safety cutoff in 1-1/2 to 2 hours.

Put it this way, I don't know of anyone who runs 24/7 in their car with a PC setup. Maybe a laptop with the screen off could stretch for 7 or 8 hours...
              Originally posted by ghettocruzer
              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
              Want to:
              -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
              -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

hmm.. but i don't know how i can record from the cameras without having the PC on... any ideas? I want the recorded videos to be on a HDD so i can view them without having to transfer from a tape or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte
                  Running constantly is a real issue. I don't know how WebDog did 24 hours! Mine will run the battery down to the safety cutoff in 1-1/2 to 2 hours.

Put it this way, I don't know of anyone who runs 24/7 in their car with a PC setup. Maybe a laptop with the screen off could stretch for 7 or 8 hours...
                  When i did that i was running on a battery only for that. Now i have the red and yellow top conected all the time (no isolation) and i can only safly run it for 6-8 hours before risking my car not starting.
                  1990 Jeep Cherokee
                  2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
                  2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Three Words for you

OPTIMA YELLOW TOP

You either need a sealed battery like the yellow top if you are putting it inside the car or trunk, or you can use a regular deep cyle battery, but it has to be under the hood. If you use a non-deep cycle battery, you will kill your battery. If you use a non-sealed battery inside the car, you risk blowing up your car with the gases released from a non-sealed battery.

Here is another problem. If you drive 30 minutes to work, leave the computer on the second battery all day, then drive 30 minutes home, the second battery will not recharge fully. You will need to recharge that battery every night while you are at home.

A couple of questions, what are you trying to record? Is this for security? If so, if you car is stolen you know the footage is good too right?

Do you have a wifi connection where you want the cameras to record? If you, you may be better off using something like a WiFi Camera. They have WebCams that work off a wireless connection and can send a picture every x seconds to a server (which could just be a simple computer anywhere). These would run without the computer even being on. D-Link makes such cameras and I'm sure others do as well.

The other solution could be to use cam corders with memory cards, but it's a little more messy.

I guess the big question is what is the final use of having your cameras on all the time?

Comment

The cameras won't be on ALL the time... only when i say go into town and the car is in a car park for a few hours... the recorded images will go onto a hidden HDD (somewhere in a seat or something) ... if the entire car is stolen i can't do much anyways.

Comment

Just thinking about it... why bother with using the cameras for CCTV.... i'll just use them for recording things while i'm driving.. and then i'll use the saved money to buy a nice alarm system for the car :P

Comment

Originally posted by fromplanetbob
                          You either need a sealed battery like the yellow top if you are putting it inside the car or trunk, or you can use a regular deep cyle battery, but it has to be under the hood. If you use a non-deep cycle battery, you will kill your battery. If you use a non-sealed battery inside the car, you risk blowing up your car with the gases released from a non-sealed battery.
                          This is not true. Sealed batteries also produce explosive gases. "Sealed" refers to the fact that you can't top up the elecrolytes. ALL batteries need to have a system for removing the gases safely if installed inside the car. Usually you get a special battery box with a venting tube which takes the gases to the outside of the car.

Rob.

Comment

motion detection cameras?
                            Low drain to monitor car, powers up to full load upon motion?
                            I'm thinking motion sensors hooked up to your power jumpers on the mobo
                            My OLD carputer page
                            My NEW carPC

Via Epia M10000, 512 PC2100, Opus 150, 8" lilly touch, 320 GB 7200 WD Caviar

Comment

some suggestions:

Solar Panel to Trickle top-up your battery - simple solution for some extra runtime during the day

a LEX type MB with integrated via CPU and quad capture card - http://linitx.com/product_info.php?c...roducts_id=557

independant IP based camera's, and a Network Storage unit(NAS) - benefits, very low power consumtion on the NAS, especially is used with motion sensing IP cameras

Comment

Working...
                              X