• M1 to power....

Hi,

I've my carputer ready to fit, consisting of :
    Intel P3 833MHz motherboard, not sure what make
    Seagate 7200rpm 40 gig
    264MB RAM
    DVD/CD-RW drive
    Tiny processor fan and 13cm case fan

Would the M1-ATX 90w be enough to power this load in car?
    1996 Volvo 850 T5 CD - Eventually I'll start....

the DVD may be a problem, go for an external USB device with external power source if possible
    Peugeot 206 1.4 HDi

Intel Mini-ITX Mainboard
    Celeron 1.2ghz
    256mb DDR-2 533
    80gig 3.5" SATA HDD
    Sb Live 5.1 w/ KXProject Drivers
    M2-ATX
    8" Lilliput TS LCD

100% installed and working :D

Comment

It'll be used on...super rare occasions lol. How much power then to run it?

Comment

http://linitx.com/product_info.php?c...roducts_id=728

This would be better?

Comment

ho, it's only a regulator, you also need a power supply to run your pc
          M1 atx will easily be overloaded powering a standard HDD and DVD, it will be overloaded if you also run your LCD
          Peugeot 206 1.4 HDi

Intel Mini-ITX Mainboard
          Celeron 1.2ghz
          256mb DDR-2 533
          80gig 3.5" SATA HDD
          M2-ATX
          8" Lilliput TS LCD

Comment

where did you find 264 mb of ram?

Anyway, a M1-ATX has 90 W, but you can't just look at what you are powering and say OH, I need 70 Watts so I'll be fine. That is wrong. If you look at the specs, each line has a maximum Amperage that it can carry. http://www.mp3car.com/products/M1-ATX/M1-ATX-specs.pdf
            So what I'm saying is there are 3 lines that I will talk about the 12V, 5V, and the 3.3V line.

First you should know voltage times aperage = Watts (power)
            The 12V line can do 2 Amps= 24 Watts (a single 7200 RPM HD can demand up to 30 Watts!!!(Thats only a peak measurement tho(yay for parenthetical expressions!!!)))
            5V line has 10 A = 50 watts
            and 3.3 V outputs 10 Amps = 33 watts
            So actually if you add that up you get 107 watts of power. But you can also see that if you want to run a CPU and A motherboard that primarily ge their power from the 12V line you are screwed. mini-box even says that this is designed for low power systems that are powered off of the 5V line.

Check out this website: http://www.ohmygodmyarmfelloff.com/MP3Car/PSUpower.asp
            for the rail breakdown of whatever system you are trying to set up.

BTW an LCD is about 6-7 Watts (i think) all of it on the 12 V line so that will add a .5 Amp draw on you power supply.

I learned all of this the hard way after burning up 2 m1-Atx. Now I'm modding a M!-ATX and Carnetix P1260 to work together so i can have a big 12 V line

Anyway good luck and let me know if you have more questions?

Should I turn this post into a FAQ?
            My OLD carputer page
            My NEW carPC

Via Epia M10000, 512 PC2100, Opus 150, 8" lilly touch, 320 GB 7200 WD Caviar

Comment

Just gop with the OPUS?

Comment

opus is definitly easier to setup. I am poor so i went with the m1-atx, but in the end i only saved a few pennies. the common theory is that you end up buying the opus so you might as well buy it first and save yourself the frustration
                My OLD carputer page
                My NEW carPC

Comment

Bugger that. Maplin has a 300w inverter on special offer for 32...! Just keep the original P/S....!

Comment

Originally posted by Moneyfink
                    opus is definitly easier to setup. I am poor so i went this way, but in the end i only saved a few pennies. the common theory is that you end up buying the opus in the end so you might as well buy it first and save yourself the frustration
                    couldn't agree more, tested myself
                    Peugeot 206 1.4 HDi

Intel Mini-ITX Mainboard
                    Celeron 1.2ghz
                    256mb DDR-2 533
                    80gig 3.5" SATA HDD
                    M2-ATX
                    8" Lilliput TS LCD

Comment

Do square wave inverters have an effect like modded sine ones?

Comment

Originally posted by Moneyfink
                        I learned all of this the hard way after burning up 2 m1-Atx. Now I'm modding a M!-ATX and Carnetix P1260 to work together so i can have a big 12 V line

This was what I was planning on doing to but I was going to run the two PSU individually and just hope they powered on and off at the same time. What are you doing to get them to work together?

My plan was to run just the computer off the m1-atx and the LCD, CD/DVD drive, and USB power off the Carnetix. I am assuming this makes sense.

I am a noob when it comes to the new advancements in car computers, I have been running an integrated laptop with a 10" touch screen for a few years. Now that I got a new car (05 Xterra) I plan on doing it the right way.

Comment

You actually have 60 W @12V with the p1260, but only about 30 W @ 12 V with the M1-ATX. I am thinking of doing the same thing you suggested, running them both at the same time, then just hoping they shut down at the same time. MikeH at Carnetix has developed some firmware for the Ps-Share, which would effectivly make the p1260 a slave device. To upgrade the firmware, follow the directions on the carnetix site.
                          As for what to run on each, it really depends on what you are running
                          look at: http://www.ohmygodmyarmfelloff.com/MP3Car/PSUpower.asp
                          and decide what to put on each line.
                          My plan was the HDD and MObo on the p1260 and use the m1-atx for my monitor and any case fans
                          My OLD carputer page
                          My NEW carPC

Comment

would you need a regulator if you bought the opus 150W?

Comment

nope, the opus is completely self contained. It puts out EXACT voltages +/- 5% which is good enough to run your computer.

Then there are these 200W power supplys that do not regulate most of the voltage. they have like 50 watts regulated to 5% but then the rest is unregulated and could damage your car computer.

Opus is what most people recommend. Generally the standard is 5% is the most error you can have. there are some real good faqs on the subject if you check out that section
                              My OLD carputer page
                              My NEW carPC

Comment

Working...
                              X