512 pc133 ram
    1 60 gig WD 5400 rpm drive
    1 20 gig WD 5400 rpm drive
    1 usb linksys wifi
    powering 1 system fan, not counting hsf
    powering 7" vga from molex
    touchscreen is using usb
    Antec 250 watt psu

I am running that into a 300W inverter (Xantrex Xpower 400plus)

Also running is a 100 watt pioneer amp which has a 20 amp fuse in it.

Also DSSC startup/shutdown in the middle

Amp and inverter are running into distribution block which has two 30 amp fuses in it.

The question is, what size fuse should I put under the hood? 60 amp? The main power cable is 6 gauge and I think its max at 10 feet is 80 amps. Should I get a 60 amp inline fuse, or a 80 amp.? Should I lose the 30 amp fuses in the distro, is this too much fusing?

Im going to pick a inline for under the hood tommorow so any comments asap would be awesome!
    2000 Sunfire build 100%, or is it ever really 100%?

Originally posted by CavityCr33p
    Here is what I am running

p3 1.266 cpu
    full atx mobo
    nvidia gforce4 mx440 agp
    sblive pci sound
    512 pc133 ram
    1 60 gig WD 5400 rpm drive
    1 20 gig WD 5400 rpm drive
    1 usb linksys wifi
    powering 1 system fan, not counting hsf
    powering 7" vga from molex
    touchscreen is using usb
    Antec 250 watt psu

I am running that into a 300W inverter (Xantrex Xpower 400plus)

Also running is a 100 watt pioneer amp which has a 20 amp fuse in it.

Also DSSC startup/shutdown in the middle

Amp and inverter are running into distribution block which has two 30 amp fuses in it.

The question is, what size fuse should I put under the hood? 60 amp? The main power cable is 6 gauge and I think its max at 10 feet is 80 amps. Should I get a 60 amp inline fuse, or a 80 amp.? Should I lose the 30 amp fuses in the distro, is this too much fusing?

Im going to pick a inline for under the hood tommorow so any comments asap would be awesome!

I would definately not go with a 6ga power cable. Minimum would be 8ga. And put a 60a fuse under the hood and you will be fine.
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant
    Progress: 90% [-▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓- ->

Carputer Specs:
    Via M10K
    512mb Ram
    60GB HDD
    Souund Blaster Audigy2 NX
    OPUS ITX PC Case

Comment

Well, I already have the 6 gauge so I am going to stick with that. I think most people run 4 gauge to their distro around here and 8 out right? Thanks tho!

I was thinking 60 amp should be fine, but I have heard of over fusing.

Comment

the size of the fuse should match your power draw. You don't want too large of a fuse because this is a fire hazard. For example you dont need a 20 amp fuse on a 100 watt amp, if your power cable shorts on something, about 12 amps would be shorting on something before that fuse would blow, easily causing a fire. My suggestion is if you are unsure of your power draw, get the lowest rated fuse you that you think can handle your system first. If that works without blowing, then stick with that, or even downgrade.
        PC Components:
        Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
        My work log

Comment

Originally posted by Cheekz185
          I would definately not go with a 6ga power cable. Minimum would be 8ga. And put a 60a fuse under the hood and you will be fine.
          6 is larger then 8
          PC Components:
          Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
          My work log

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples
            the size of the fuse should match your power draw. You don't want too large of a fuse because this is a fire hazard. For example you dont need a 20 amp fuse on a 100 watt amp, if your power cable shorts on something, about 12 amps would be shorting on something before that fuse would blow, easily causing a fire. My suggestion is if you are unsure of your power draw, get the lowest rated fuse you that you think can handle your system first. If that works without blowing, then stick with that, or even downgrade.
            Well, the 20 amp fuse is what came with the pioneer, so Im thinking it is right. What do you think about the distribution blockwith the fuses? I should have paid attention in AC/DC during college instead of drowning myself in Cisco...

Anybody wanna take a guesstimate of what the power draw of this system is? Do I count the pc and the inverter seperate?

Comment

distrobution block should be fine, i'd stick a 60 up front
              PC Components:
              My work log

Comment

distrobution block should be fine, i'd stick a 60 up front
                Thats what I was thinking...

I called audio express today and they were like "relay? whats that?"

Idiots....Ive gotta pick up a extra relay for my inverter....wires galore!

Comment

wow, you'd think audio shops would install alarms......and most alarms require a lot of relays to hook up remote start..... thats pretty sad
                  PC Components:
                  My work log

Comment

The maximum rating of the fuse should be the no higher than the rating of the cable it is protecting. You can have less if you want, just make sure that it is more than the current needed.

Keep the fuses in the distibution block and make sure that the cables supplying the amp and inverter are no thinner than 10awg. 8awg would be good.

No, this is not too much fusing. It's exactly right. The inline fuse and the fuses in the distribution block are to protect the cables and are meant to blow if the current draw exceeds the ratings of the cables (for example if they short) otherwise they will overheat and catch fire. The fuses in the components are to protect them.

Comment

6 is larger then 8
                      Yeah i know my memory went blank for a second lol....
                      2002 Mitsubishi Galant
                      Progress: 90% [-▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓- ->

Carputer Specs:
                      Via M10K
                      512mb Ram
                      60GB HDD
                      Souund Blaster Audigy2 NX
                      OPUS ITX PC Case

Comment

Originally posted by CavityCr33p
                        Thats what I was thinking...

I called audio express today and they were like "relay? whats that?"

Idiots....Ive gotta pick up a extra relay for my inverter....wires galore!
                        which audio express did you call?
                        2007 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L SOHC-VTEC

Comment

The one in Jonesboro on Highland.....

I also called another audio place on Caraway, they were idiots and didnt know if they had fuses and relays in stock.

BTW, The main power cable is 6 gauge, and the leads off of it is 10 gauge so I should be safe.

Comment

Working...
                          X