Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple alternators?

Hi,

Either my battery in my RR has gone phut or my alternator. I'll try replacing the battery, and even if that is the problem, would two alternators be a good idea? Can you feed two into one battery or would it be best to have one batt for system and one for the car?

L
    1996 Volvo 850 T5 CD - Eventually I'll start....

doubt you will need 2 alternators, there are high output alternators that iv seen go up to 500 watts. and that is crazy overkill, dual batteries is a good idea, just look into a tank circuit.
    96' Mercedes Benz C36 -Matte Black-
    Status..::... {##------}25%~~ back to planning

Comment

dual alternators won't really help unless you are running a crazy setup that requires it...
      my 100amp powers my amp, screen, 300W inverter just fine
      even cranks with them still running
      [||||||||||||||||||||] - final touches
      SUPER 7" VGA w/ TS
      Toshiba Satellite 3000
      P3 850
      256MB
      30GB
      Geforce2 Go
      DVD
      Orinoco 802.11b PCMCIA
      nlite WinXP 350MB installed
      RoadRunner
      iGuidance 2.1
      Holux GM210 GPS
      Xantrex Xpower 300

Comment

If my stock alt is dying..then I'l change it for about 200A, as I'm running a JBL 1201.1, 75.2 and the 300w inverter....
        1996 Volvo 850 T5 CD - Eventually I'll start....

Comment

Originally posted by anitanium
          dual alternators won't really help unless you are running a crazy setup that requires it...
          my 100amp powers my amp, screen, 300W inverter just fine
          even cranks with them still running
          Where did you put your 100Ah? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by markland556
            doubt you will need 2 alternators, there are high output alternators that iv seen go up to 500 watts. and that is crazy overkill, dual batteries is a good idea, just look into a tank circuit.
            you mean 500 amps? 500w is only about 35 amps at 14v
            Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

I never understood putting 2 batteries into the car for less drain on your alty? I mean if you think about it now the alternator has to charge 2 batteries. How is this a gain?
              2002 Mitsubishi Galant
              Progress: 90% [-▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓- ->

Carputer Specs:
              Via M10K
              512mb Ram
              60GB HDD
              Souund Blaster Audigy2 NX
              OPUS ITX PC Case

Comment

One (original) alternator charging 2 batteries will be hard to survive especialy just after cranking (if connected parallel). Find the alternator spec for sure.
                For 2 batteries better use two alternator at two seperate circuits as Psychobiker said. Its might be the best way.
                As long as there are enough space ofcourse.
                SPL mania did that.
                Replace the orig alt with a bigger one (for 2 parallel connected batteries ) also possible to do.

Comment

batterys are for storage of energy.... even if you have large peaks of demand...the majority of the time the alternator will put out more than is used & will add to the storage capacity....think of the altenator as a trickling water hose & the battery as a cup... if the battery is only a half pint...thats the most reserve you will have at any given moment.... any extra flow from the hose can't be captured..... same sinario with two gallon buckets.... sure it may take longer for the trickling hose to fill them, but you will have a large supply of water backed up when the demand is there.... get it?
                  MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

the whole point of 2 batteries is so that when your car is off and you have all your acceories on your starter battery wont die.
                    96' Mercedes Benz C36 -Matte Black-
                    Status..::... {##------}25%~~ back to planning

Comment

yeah... you can drink alot & still have some left to start....
                      MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Working...
                      X