confused about power options

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• confused about power options

I'm confused about why people spend $150 on an opus power supply. Why not just get an inverter and use that? It's alot cheaper and more versatile. I know it's not as "efficient" to do a dc-ac-dc conversion, but does it matter as the battery gets recharged anyways?

thanks

The opus has auto startup and shutdown capabilities. It has a power regulator built in. It survives crank. Inverters are notorious for introducing noise -usually alternator whine, into the system.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

so could the inverter potentially damage the computer?

Comment

Originally posted by psykopyro
        so could the inverter potentially damage the computer?
        way more likely than with the opus! There are several really good advantages to using the opus. i have used an inverter and it is ok and all, but with my next install I am using a real power regulator like the opus, that has the ability to turn the computer on when I start the car, and auto shutdown when I leave the car. the opus is also like a replacement for your pc's power supply-you take that out and plug the opus power straight into ur components.
        Carputer status: [-*---------]
        Im thinking laptop...

Comment

12v -> 240v (in my country) -> 12v

why waste time when u can get straight to the 12v and better effiency ?
          First 3 Version DONE ...but sold ..with the car .. now .. building another one for the new car .

Coming Soon : CarPC 2.0 .. 40%

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte
            The opus has auto startup and shutdown capabilities. It has a power regulator built in. It survives crank. Inverters are notorious for introducing noise -usually alternator whine, into the system.
            I have put my Car Computer project on hold because of power supply issues.

The 150W Opus might fall short of the power I need. I really want to stick with Opus - I read somewhere that there might be an Opus 250Watt (even 200 watts will do me fine) coming out.

How true is this? Does anyone have any dates?

Any alternatives to the Opus that are just as good but 200Watts?

Comment

Yeah there are beefier dc-dc power supplies, but the opus holds the same advantage over them that it holds over inverters - it includes startup/shutdown capabilities. Most other advantages of dc-dc over inverters are just myths, noise and safety issues included. I'm not sure how much longer we're going to have to wait for a better dc-dc option. I've heard that there's another member here designing his own dc-dc psu, and I know that I'll be resuming mine when I get my hands on a scope. Somebody should have one any minute now. This waiting is silly. It's not like it's breakthrough technology...

If you'd rather use an inverter for the time being, don't be afraid. If you have any noise issues, it's because you've wired something wrong. You won't be bothered a bit by the inefficiency unless you need every last second of run time with the engine off. Many inverters will survive crank, but it just depends on the inverter's specs, and the size of your engine, starter, and battery. I've seen the same inverter survive crank in a civic but not a 240. I'm using an inverter setup right now until my dc-dc psu is ready, and I find the most annoying part to be the lack of startup/shutdown control, and the size of everything. I could use an independent startup/shutdown controller and add a relay to turn on/off the inverter to take care of that issue, but I won't bother as this is temporary. The size issue does bother me, though. Even after gutting it, the atx psu makes the dimensions of my computer case a few cm bigger, and I've got the separate inverter to deal with.

Comment

hmm i think i'll spend a few extra bucks on an opus then, i'll try to find one used.

another question- can you have a dedicated car battery (or two :-)) just for your opus? For example, you'd have your real car battery under da hood, and two more in the trunk just for your computer. That way, you could use your computer when your car was off. Btw, how much run time can you get off a full car battery while you're using your carputer?

Also, how would you wire the batteries up so that the rear ones would get charged?

thanks alot

Comment

I am not sure about run time but do a for tank circuit here and on and you will see how to hook it up

Comment

ok got it, but i still have one more question- how long can the average carputer with a touchscreen last on a fully charged car battery?

Comment

Webdog claims his lasted 24 hours with the touchscreen off. I think 3-4 hours is probably the best you can expect, depending on how many watts it is.
                      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                      Want to:
                      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

hmm ok so I really don't need two batteries unless i plan on using the computer in a parking lot for three hours with the car off, which is synonomous with suicide.

Comment

Originally posted by shizzle
                          way more likely than with the opus!
                          why?

Comment

Originally posted by Bodgy
                            why?
                            Maybe not waaaay more, but I am sure the inefficiency at high load and poorly regulated current pose a significantly higher risk of damaging whatever is plugged into it, especially something as sensitive as a computer. Although, when I think about it... an inverter could surge and potentially only hurt the computer's ps, while the opus is connected straight to more sensitive parts....
                            The opus is definitely of higher quality than most inverters and computer power supplies...
                            any comments?
                            Carputer status: [-*---------]
                            Im thinking laptop...

Comment

Originally posted by shizzle
                              any comments?
                              not really.

I was thinking the same thing, its only a $7.50 psu that's gonna get hurt.

Im sure the opus is better quality, but my psu + inverter do the same thing for less than a quarter the price (after shipping and customs duty).

Comment

Working...
                              X