Carputer stalls when accelerate the car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carputer stalls when accelerate the car

When i put the pedal to the metal my carputer stalls for some seconds, sounds is stuttering etc. When i stop accelerating everything goes back to normal.
    Perhaps it has something to do with higher voltage during accelerate (because of the engine power), but i dont have a clue, maybe its a common problem.

My setup is an Opus 150W, Via Epia M10000, 2.5" 12 GB Disk, and some other stuff of what i think is not really important for this issue.

Thanks for all the help/suggestions

The Opus should compensate for increased voltage. It most likely has something to do with the g forces, perhaps causing your disk to error on reads.

Try reorienting your disk drive and see if you have the same problem.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Thats a good thought, i'll try it

Comment

Try checking ALL connections over again... Could be a loose connection that is disconnecting when accelerating...

Comment

Check engine ground strap....
          Compaq Evo D510 e-PC - P4 2.0 - 512M RAM - 120G 3.5 HD - 7" Xenarc 700TSV - DSATX fitted nicely inside the PC case

Comment

If a Corolla that have enought torque/horse power to cause a dish error to "stall/freeze" the PC, the HD is probably on it way out. Does the PC stall/freeze when you go over speed pump? Well if you have a Turbo corolla (Levin?), and that a different thing.
            2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
            89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
            Y2K Accord Dell GX150
            RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
            EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

It will be a conection well before it is a disk. It could be power or motion related. Check all power and data connections as well as cards/RAM
              TruckinMP3
              D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

any results?

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte
                  It most likely has something to do with the g forces,
                  C'mon now, really? What do normal street cars pull when accelerating? It can't be more than 1G, probably something like 0.5G to 0.75G max. If this is his problem, he can generate more force by braking.

Please ignore that last statement, my small crack-addled brain can't remember basic car physics sometimes
                  My worklog.
                  Status: VM GTI sold, got out of the CarPC tinkering hobby, but I still think about getting back in.

Comment

I mean that if the hard drive is defective, the acceleration may be affecting it, however low it may be.

I just can't see how an electrical surge would cause the computer to skip, but then revert to normal when the surge stops. The computer either ought to function or it ought to freeze.

But skip? Then return to normal because of increased voltage? That seems far fetched.
                    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                    Want to:
                    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Originally posted by kbyrd
                      C'mon now, really? What do normal street cars pull when accelerating? It can't be more than 1G, probably something like 0.5G to 0.75G max. If this is his problem, he can generate more force by braking.
                      Even a Porsche 911 has a tough time getting 1g on the skidpad. And that's under optimal conditions

Biostar M7NCG 400 ver 7.2 AMD Mobile Athlon 1.1GHz (@ 1GHz), Kingston PC2700 512mb WD 80gig HD Custom Case Opus 150W PS Lilliput 7" TS D-Link DBT-120 BT D-Link DWL-G122 WiFi Holux GR-231 GPS nLited XP Pro iGuidance RoadRunner frontend

Comment

Originally posted by wallaceacura
                        Even a Porsche 911 has a tough time getting 1g on the skidpad. And that's under optimal conditions
                        Actually I just re-read what I wrote and it makes no sense that brake would generate more force. The tires are the limiting factor, not the engine versus the brakes stopping power.
                        My worklog.
                        Status: VM GTI sold, got out of the CarPC tinkering hobby, but I still think about getting back in.

Comment

Originally posted by kbyrd
                          Actually I just re-read what I wrote and it makes no sense that brake would generate more force. The tires are the limiting factor, not the engine versus the brakes stopping power.

True but if Drives do not skip during a car crash why would aggressive driving at a start/stop matter.

They work right through the car crash... I have done it.

The issue will be a loose connection or power related.
                          TruckinMP3
                          D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

it's true though, that almost every vehicle on the planet can stop MUCH faster than it can accelerate, so braking G force will be much more than acceleration G force, and is usually applied MUCH more abruptly. top fuel dragsters excluded.

a porsche having a hard time hitting over a G on the skidpad? well, first off, to get up to and maintain that 1g you can't be abrupt about anything. abrupt G forces is what causes hardware failure, not smoothly applied ones. and if my miata can hit a lateral G on street tires, then a porsche should be getting at least 1.25 lateral Gs. unless it's like a 1958 porsche... heh

back on topic, i think he's definitely looking at a loose connection somewhere. and yes, it's entirely possible for low-grade power transients to cause a machine to stutter but recover once the transient is gone. i used to see it surprisingly often at a former job. once we installed UPSs with power filters, the stuttering went away completely. all depends on the machine itself. some hardware can tolerate it better than others.
                            Previous: CamryAmp 1.0 - 95 Camry SE V6 Coupe (sold)
                            Current: CamryAmp 2.0 - 98 Camry CE V6 5spd (still bench-testing)

Comment

I don't think it's the G force that causes the problem.

I am having the same issue on my motorcycle computer. When ever I hit the gas the MII 1000 sometimes reboots or the music just skips a bit.

I hooked up a volt meter and found that when I hit the gas my battery is getting 13.1 volts but for some reason every once and a while the volt meter drops down to 0 volts. Which is what I think causes the skipping/reboots.

Could this be a bad engine ground?
                              Spent all my money on carputers now I have to work a real job.
                              http://www.858graphics.com

Comment

Working...
                              X