Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do I get 5v from car? (for USB hub)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do I get 5v from car? (for USB hub)

Where do I get 5volt from my car to my USB hub?

I have a Volkswagen Golf GTI -99

with a power regulator or a power supply
    Progress,.... that is what I keep forgetting ;)
    planning_[++++++++++]. 110%
    parts___[++++++----] around 60%
    install___[-----------] -9,000%

Comment

from your PCs power supply
      Pioneer DEH7600MP, Autotek MX-800.4, JL Audio XR650-CSi, Adire Audio Shiva

Done with CarPCs, using a iPaq 3765 PDA w/ Holux GM210 and TomTom

Comment

i dont want to use my power supplt for my PC.

Is it possible to get 5v from the car? or is everything 12v?

I use M1-ATX for my PC and i think i have used alot of 5v

Comment

car voltage is all around 13.8v while running... you'll need a power regulator, u cang et them quite cheap with plugs on designed for small electronic appliances like usb hubs.
          Mods: 18" Boss rims,Twin custom stainless exhaust,cold air induction.
          Sound: Pioneer 7400 HU & 6x9's,12" Vibe Sub,600W Kenwood amp.
          CarPC: MicroATX, Inverter, WinTV, Lilliput 7", USB GPS
          http://www.no1knows.com/galleries/

Comment

http://www.opussolutions.com/modules...article&sid=26
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Use one of these.

Originally posted by ghettocruzer
              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
              Want to:
              -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
              -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

7805 voltage regulator will convert 12v to 5v at the apparent expense of some heat

Comment

The Opus POL DC-DC seems to bee a good option for the 5v.
                  http://www.opussolutions.com/modules...article&sid=26
                  The problem is where to get hold of it in Sweden. I will search here in Sweden.

I saw there are 2 models of it one with "mounting bracket/heat sink" and one without. Anyone who has one of theise, and how does it looks?

Comment

Originally posted by NeckPayne
                    7805 voltage regulator will convert 12v to 5v at the apparent expense of some heat
                    so if i buy one of these, i can connect my external audigy 2 nx soundcard because it takes in 5v input ? I am very reluctant to splice the wires on the power pack of my audigy 2 nx and hook it up to one of these. Theres got to be a easier way

I'll be using a M1, is there any way to get 5v power from it when the comp is on ?

Comment

m1-atx

Comment

Originally posted by cyrax83
                        so if i buy one of these, i can connect my external audigy 2 nx soundcard because it takes in 5v input ? I am very reluctant to splice the wires on the power pack of my audigy 2 nx and hook it up to one of these. Theres got to be a cheaper easier way

I'll be using a M1, is there any way to get 5v power from it when the comp is on ?
                        cheaper? the 7805 will cost you like 50 cents (except at radio shack where you'll find the usual 300% to 400% inflation)

easier? well I guess if you are afraid of soldering, then I can see why you'd avoid it. but the entire circuit consists of the regulator, and a couple capacitors... could be build in 15 minutes... and with a multimeter you can easily verify that it's outputting 5v before you go hooking it up to the audigy, therefore there isn't a lot of risk...
                        But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
                        Originally posted by Viscouse
                        I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
                        eegeek.net

Comment

I remember reading about a mod with a lilliput 12V adapter and it being modded to out put only 5V, Maybe I'm dreaming but I can't seem to find it right now.
                          Remember AllAdvantage From 7 years ago? IT IS BACK! Now under a new name Agloco
                          GET PAID TO SURF THE INTERNET

Comment

Working...
                          X