Enough juice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enough juice?

I've developed a new problem. I've added 2 cold cathode lights to my case. When I turn them on (there's a little switch) the hard drive makes the noise it makes when it is first powered up and everything locks. If I shut down the ignition, the Opus doesn't turn off either. It just sits there. Without the tubes on, everything works great.

Also added at the same time were 2 120mm fans, a HD cooler, and 2 USB cables with leds in them.

Any ideas?

Biostar M7NCG 400 ver 7.2 AMD Mobile Athlon 1.1GHz (@ 1GHz), Kingston PC2700 512mb WD 80gig HD Custom Case Opus 150W PS Lilliput 7" TS D-Link DBT-120 BT D-Link DWL-G122 WiFi Holux GR-231 GPS nLited XP Pro iGuidance RoadRunner frontend

You got it. All those devices use 12V rail and you are overloading the Opus capacity. Why don't you run all the 12V fans and the cathode lights directly from the battery?
    2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
    89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
    Y2K Accord Dell GX150
    RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
    EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Originally posted by MatrixPC
      Why don't you run all the 12V fans and the cathode lights directly from the battery?
      I was thinking about running the lights from the 12v that goes to the trunk light. That way, when you open up the trunk, the cold cathode lights up to display the case. Are the fans really drawing that much juice?

Thanks for the reply.

Biostar M7NCG 400 ver 7.2 AMD Mobile Athlon 1.1GHz (@ 1GHz), Kingston PC2700 512mb WD 80gig HD Custom Case Opus 150W PS Lilliput 7" TS D-Link DBT-120 BT D-Link DWL-G122 WiFi Holux GR-231 GPS nLited XP Pro iGuidance RoadRunner frontend

Comment

How do you prevent the fans from running constantly if they are run directly from the battery? Do you have to hook it up to something that only comes on when the car is powered up?

Comment

use a relay... you can have it so that the relay is set to "connect" only when the 12V comming out of the opus is on. It's like a switch.. the switch input (comming from 12V from opus) is VERY little current, so it won't drain your opus.

When the switch is on, it will suck juice directly from your battery. Remember to use fuses!!!

You can do the same using another relay and the trunk light/cathode. If the trunk light itself cannot supply enough juice (wires may be too small perhaps?), then you can use the trunk light to switch the relay on and off.

Good luck, and again.... fuses help prevent fires.

Comment

Relays and fuses....

It is always the simplest things...I was going to wire a Basic Stamp, and make this far more difficult than it needs to be.

THANK YOU!

Comment

Forget the fans. They use milliwatts unless you're using a monster Delta or something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by numbers
                Forget the fans. They use milliwatts unless you're using a monster Delta or something similar.
                ???

You don't think they're drawing enough juice to matter, or I don't need cooling?

Comment

ha

Sorry. Yeah they don't draw enough power to worry about. Whether you need the cooling is up to you.

Comment

Working...
                  X