Announcing M2-ATX vehicle PSU:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Announcing M2-ATX vehicle PSU:

Based on a modified design of the M1-ATX, but with a stronger 12V rail, here are some preliminary specifications. Also, please see picture below.
    NOTE: Microcontroller softtware remains the same.

MAX
    5V 10A
    5VSB 1.5A
    3.3V 10A
    12V 8A
    -12V 0.1A

On the 12V rail, I was able to push it to 10A, but things got very hot....
    Also, keep in mind that at full load you would need a fan to blow over the PCB, some derating will need to occur.

Please do not take these specs as final, some more testing / derating needs to occur.

Should you need a notification when the M2-ATX icomes out from production, please send an email to [email protected]

Enjoy,
    -A
    Attached Files

So how do you buy this??

Comment

Probably from the MP3car.com on-line store. You must be patient, this PSU is still in the quoting process, it will probably take ~2 months for the first lot to come out, should everything go as planned.

-A

Originally posted by kickercivic1
      So how do you buy this??

Comment

Just a thought. If you can make ATX connector on a board 180 deg rotated so the snap in version can be something easy to have. And 10x16 capacitors is a must.
        Car pc integration with ease
        Car mediacenter

Comment

Yes, 10x16 capacitors! The above picture uses 10x20capacitors, easy to find.
          Sorry -- the ATX conn is harder to rotate, need to keep the power traces as close to the output rails...

-A

Originally posted by jbors
          Just a thought. If you can make ATX connector on a board 180 deg rotated so the snap in version can be something easy to have. And 10x16 capacitors is a must.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewb
            Sorry -- the ATX conn is harder to rotate, need to keep the power traces as close to the output rails...
            You mean you already have a mask board ? Understand. It will be a lots of rewiring for me then
            Car pc integration with ease
            Car mediacenter

Comment

Rotating the ATX connector is possible, but wll be a massacre...
              Keep in mind that M2-ATX am 'evolution' of M1-ATX. same footprint.
              This formfactor was 'imported' from Morex, which makes PSU boards with the same formfactor. I thought it is a good idea to keep the same dimensions for the M1-ATX and M2-ATX, since a lot of cases are made for these boards.

Andrei

Originally posted by jbors
              You mean you already have a mask board ? Understand. It will be a lots of rewiring for me then

Comment

Very good news!!

My M1 almost got on fire last weekend, so I might need a new one
                Ikea Case. Epia M10000.M1-ATX. 512 Mb. 2,5" 80 GB HDD. 7" Lilliput. BU-303 GPS. Sony Joystick.
                Status -->
                Lilliput Installed (not indash yet..)
                BraveCar 2.5

Comment

Will the M2-ATX shutdown if it is overloaded?

Comment

Yes!
                    OverCurrent protection is set for the 5, 5VSB, 3.3 and 12V.

-Andrei

Originally posted by Zip-Lock
                    Will the M2-ATX shutdown if it is overloaded?

Comment

ok, so here's my problem with the m1-atx: The shutdown timing options are horrible.

An Opus will power down after 15 minutes, but will not do the hardoff like the m1atx. Unfortunately, to keep the pc running for any useable amount of time after the car is shut off, the m1atx won't hardoff either. And 30 minutes is too long to begin with.

So, what I want is a 15 minute offdelay and a 30 minute hardoff. Or something longer than 30 sec for offdelay while still having a hardoff. When I go on trips and stop for gas, I don't want to have to wait for my carpc to turn back on when I get back in the car.

You gotta think of the entire picture here. The 30sec/2hr setting is great for daily driving, crappy for road trips. The 30min/never setting is okay for road trips, crappy for daily driving. Most people aren't going to want to reset their jumpers everytime they take a trip, so that's out. I guess one could rig up a toggle switch to go between "daily" and "trip" modes, but since you're designing the replacement anyway....

It's the only thing that's keeping me from using one in my next project. Just my two cents on it.
                      Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
                      Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
                      I'M DEBT FREE!!
                      I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

Hey, this looks good Andrei! Having a bit of extra power available is always good -- assuming things don't get too hot. In addition to overcurrent protection, will there be any sort of thermal regulation/protection, just in case the specs are a bit optimistic?

@Matrix: Unlike the Opus, the firmware for the m1 is available. You can modify it to get any timing function you want.
                        2004 4runner

Comment

Originally posted by rando
                          @Matrix: Unlike the Opus, the firmware for the m1 is available. You can modify it to get any timing function you want.
                          I assume you meant me?

I did not know that the firmware was available. But I guess that's really a moot point, because I'd still have to buy a $50 PIC programmer, and learn how to program the darn thing. Or send it off to someone that does. That raises the hassle factor. Again, think bigger picture. A product that is easier to use (lilliput/xenarc vs bare notebook screen, for example) will be better received.
                          Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
                          Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
                          I'M DEBT FREE!!
                          I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

It does not get too hot, we plotted the efficiency on the 12V rail and it is a nice 95%. However, under 8V efficiency drops to 80% and things can get hot after 5 minutes. During cranking ( < 1minute) can go as low as 6-7 at full ratings, but I don't have a way (currently) to stop it, in case battery stays at 6-7V for too long high amperage (6-8A) on the 12V rail.

I could have the PIC watch the input voltage during ignition=ON and do somethign like this:

If V(in) < 7V then HARDOFF after 45 sec. (sorry no time to do a nice soft-off)
                            If V(in) < 8V then HARDOFF after 2 minutes
                            if V(in) < 9 V then HARDOFF after 5 minutes
                            if V(in) > 9V do nothing.

But that is not nice, sice I assume that the load ion the 12V rail is 8A always. For mini-ITX systems or a load <=3 A I can run the 12V rail with a V(in)=6-7V forever....

I could read the current on the 12V rail, but things will get complicated, I would rather do it with software monitor V(In).

-A

Originally posted by rando
                            Hey, this looks good Andrei! Having a bit of extra power available is always good -- assuming things don't get too hot. In addition to overcurrent protection, will there be any sort of thermal regulation/protection, just in case the specs are a bit optimistic?

Comment

Since May, we indroduced few more hidden features, please see:

ABCD OFFDELAY / HARDOFF
                              0000 standard PSU
                              1000 5 seconds / 1 minute
                              0100 5 seconds / 2 hours
                              1100 5 seconds / never
                              0010 30 seconds / 2 hours
                              1010 30 seconds / never
                              0110 30 minutes / never
                              1110 3 hours / never
                              (NEW STUFF)
                              0001 10 minutess / 1 hour
                              1001 15 minutes / 2 hours
                              0101 1 hour / 1 hour 15 minutes
                              1101 5 seconds / 2 hours (SureStop)

Andrei

Originally posted by wizardPC
                              ok, so here's my problem with the m1-atx: The shutdown timing options are horrible.

An Opus will power down after 15 minutes, but will not do the hardoff like the m1atx. Unfortunately, to keep the pc running for any useable amount of time after the car is shut off, the m1atx won't hardoff either. And 30 minutes is too long to begin with.

So, what I want is a 15 minute offdelay and a 30 minute hardoff. Or something longer than 30 sec for offdelay while still having a hardoff. When I go on trips and stop for gas, I don't want to have to wait for my carpc to turn back on when I get back in the car.

You gotta think of the entire picture here. The 30sec/2hr setting is great for daily driving, crappy for road trips. The 30min/never setting is okay for road trips, crappy for daily driving. Most people aren't going to want to reset their jumpers everytime they take a trip, so that's out. I guess one could rig up a toggle switch to go between "daily" and "trip" modes, but since you're designing the replacement anyway....

It's the only thing that's keeping me from using one in my next project. Just my two cents on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X