cigarette light power?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cigarette light power?

Is it possible to run a carputer and have the power fun through the cigarette lighter instead of straight to the battery?

Originally posted by simotix
    Is it possible to run a carputer and have the power fun through the cigarette lighter instead of straight to the battery?
    ummm. since you are not talking about any particular setup, YES it is possible.
    I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you an understanding.

Comment

don't do it. Dirty power source. Blow a fuse.

Wire it in correctly. Don't get lazy
      -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

Possible, yes. Advisable, no. Most cigarette lighters are only good for 10 amps, if that. If you have a low power setup, you may or may not get away with this.

I ran my Epia M10000 with a laptop HDD and XM Direct from my cigarette lighter but I rewired it to have heavier gauge wire and ran the wires directly to the battery. I fused it separately with 10 amp fuse. If I had it to do over again, I'd get a proper connector for it.
        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:
        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte
          Possible, yes. Advisable, no. Most cigarette lighters are only good for 10 amps, if that. If you have a low power setup, you may or may not get away with this.

I ran my Epia M10000 with a laptop HDD and XM Direct from my cigarette lighter but I rewired it to have heavier gauge wire and ran the wires directly to the battery. I fused it separately with 10 amp fuse. If I had it to do over again, I'd get a proper connector for it.
          that's probably a good idea if the cig lighter is only on when the ignition is on but you actually end up doing more work :-/
          2008 Civic... Sound system... then carputer install...
          WORK IN PROGRESS

If you look at my avatar closely, you can see a chick with two big knockers....

Comment

Originally posted by CornToeGoblin
            that's probably a good idea if the cig lighter is only on when the ignition is on but you actually end up doing more work :-/
            It wasn't switched but the PSU took care of turning the PC on and off. It was convenient and I had a fused cigarette power adaptor with a switch on it so I used it.
            Originally posted by ghettocruzer
            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
            Want to:
            -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
            -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Few computers need as much as 10 amps, but the problem frequently tends to be that the cig lighter socket in the car just isn't capable of passing enough current without dropping the voltage too much due to resistance. Sometimes it's because it's dirty; sometimes it's just not a very beefy socket. If you absolutely must use the cig lighter socket, consider getting a new beefy-looking generic socket and installing it in place of your stock one.

Comment

The 97 suburban I sometimes have my set up in does fine with the Cig as power it even survives crank.... it is not a common electrical system though... most cars do not handle the cig plug well.
                TruckinMP3
                D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

From what you guys are saying, the socket is bad?
                  What if we tap from behind the socket?

Would that be better?
                  My cig is on a 15amp fuse from factory

Comment

Mine is a 12V, that is all i know. My car is a 2005 Suzuki Aero. Where can I get a power supply to go into it?

Comment

Originally posted by simotix
                      Mine is a 12V, that is all i know. My car is a 2005 Suzuki Aero. Where can I get a power supply to go into it?
                      There's not a passenger vehicle produced today that's NOT 12v, as far as I know. That would include the cigarette lighter socket. Some motorcycles and older vehicles aren't 12v. Larger vehicles like semis and motor homes may have more power, typically 24v.

If you want a power supply (such as an Opus, Keypower or M1-ATX), then it's not going to connect to the cigarette lighter socket.
                      If you want to use an inverter, there are plenty of them ont he market that connect to the cigarette lighter socket, but that's not recommended.
                      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I run from the "accessory" socket that's inside the armrest compartment. It's technically a cigarette lighter socket, but it's not where the lighter itself stays. The lighter socket on the console has a lower-rated fuse (and lower-rated wires) than the accessory socket. I've always run it from the accessory socket. I used to use an inverter which worked fine for over a year, but when I pulled it out one day, I noticed the plastic tip of the plug melted a bit. No damage to the car from what I've seen. I don't use the inverter anymore and run my dc/dc PSU from a new cig plug with a 7.5A fuse that came with it. I'm probably running close on the fuse but it hasn't blown yet.
                        Epox EP-3VWB+ w/VIA C3 750MHz
                        Crystalfontz 632 16x2 LCD
                        DWW-7VGA 7" Indash VGA w/Touchscreen
                        Garmin GPS 18 USB
                        Terk XMD1000 XM Tuner (My VB6 Class)
                        Scantool.net ElmScan ISO (My VB6 Class)
                        PSK-3100 Traveller Keyboard

Comment

when i was testing my system, i used one of those 2 in one cigarette lighter adapters from radio shack. on the 4th hour of the road trip, i got burning smell. fuse didn't blow. fortunately it didn't hurt the carputer or lcd. but the cigarette lighter hasn't worked the same ever since, so i have to hardwire everything including the carputer, monitor, fridge, and radar detector.
                          --------
                          mykolJay
                          99 Accord coupe
                          http://www.geocities.com/accordpc
                          My Project Thread on mp3car.com

Comment

Tapping from behind the socket would probably be fine, but if you're going to go to the trouble of hardwiring it, I'd recommend going straight to the battery or acc.

I would expect a 2005 model to have a capable cig lighter socket. Give it a try and see what happens.

As far as getting an actual cig lighter plug that is rated for enough amps, radio shack has one rated at 10 amps. (IIRC) Whatever you wind up using, just monitor how hot the socket/plug is getting. If it gets too warm, and a new socket/plug doesn't help, hardwire.

Comment

Well I would hardwire but doesn't that void the warrent of some parts maybe?

Comment

Working...
                              X