Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carputer reboot issue

Hi all,

I haven't been here for a while. I've been using the system I built a couple years ago and during the last few month, the computer would reboot when the radiator fan kicks on especially when the car is idling. My system consists of following:

m10k mb
    40 gb notebook drive
    usb GPS mouse
    Lilliput LCD
    slim dvd/cdr drive
    morex case with 60w psu
    ITPS

I'm suspecting that the ITPS is failing on me. It's known that it won't protect pc from rebooting during crank (it just delays the booting up time).

I used to be able to run the pc for quite a while when engine is off, but now, it will surely reboot the pc after just a couple minutes. I can see the the voltage dips down when the car's turned off and it continues to drop gradually afterward till the pc reboots at some point (at around 9v).

I'm getting sick of not being able to run the pc while car is off. And now the pc reboots when radiator fan comes on is just annoying. I know that the problem is not my battery, because the issue remains afer I got a new battery.

I don't see the store selling ITPS anymore. The m1-atx seem to take its place. Does m1-atx allow the pc to run when engine is off? What about OPUS 80watt psu? will any of these work with morex case? Thanks!

I would have your charging system diagnosed... This seems like a car power issue and not the PC power supply.

I think your battery is not getting or holding a full charge. Might be a voltage regulator, battery or alternator. Most autoparts stores will test for free.
    TruckinMP3
    D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I really doubt it's the fault of my car components.

- my car is only 3 years old so the alternator couldn't be bad.
      - I recently switch my battery to Optima red top, which is a deep cycle battery that can hold charges pretty well with heavy usage. So faulty battery is out of question.
      - The ITPS is basically the voltage regulator for my carputer, and that is my original suspect. Maybe it got burned out some how?

I also found out from my monitoring software that the voltage going into my computer when the engine being on is only around 11.30v. It's been like this since the beginning. I thought that it's supposed to be around 13v with the engine on. Is it because the wire I used to connect my pc to the battery carrys too little current? I used a generic hook up wire for the connection.

Comment

Originally posted by NaFooEsi

- I recently switch my battery to Optima red top, which is a deep cycle battery that can hold charges pretty well with heavy usage. So faulty battery is out of question.
        - The ITPS is basically the voltage regulator for my carputer, and that is my original suspect. Maybe it got burned out some how?

I also found out from my monitoring software that the voltage going into my computer when the engine being on is only around 11.30v. It's been like this since the beginning. I thought that it's supposed to be around 13v with the engine on. Is it because the wire I used to connect my pc to the battery carrys too little current? I used a generic hook up wire for the connection.
        Honestly it sounds like an alternator issue.... epecially with the radiator fan affecting the current and all.... At the same time the ITPS needs to be replaced....
        Carputer status: [-*---------]
        Im thinking laptop...

Comment

But it could not possibly be the alternator ....

Look if you ask for help and you get it.... do not throw it away. Like my original reply said... the test is usually free. But go hunting for the white elephant if you like.
          TruckinMP3
          D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

It can and might be.
            It's the yellow top that is the deep cycle, not the red. Even though it's new doesn't mean it can't be bad. I doubt it is as the car does not run off the battery when the engine is running. It run's off the alternator.
            1999 Black Pontiac Trans Am
            CarPC's in F-bodies
            How To Relocate Climate Controls on the 97-02 F-body Cars
            (AMD Sempron 3000+, Opus 150)
            Car PC system is out, Alpine system is in.

Comment

it's most liklely the ITPS ... my system is pretty low-power, and currenltly using the ITPS. It does reboot once in a while when I am at a stoplight.

btw, the redtop is a crappy battery (poor quality).
              [ 5-spd 1996 M A X i M A SE ]

Comment

Working...
              X