Power Sequencers.... User Opinions Wanted

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Sequencers.... User Opinions Wanted

I have been using an ITPS for a while now and want to step up. The ITPS has been GREAT, for being designed two or three years ago, it still does the job..... I can't speak highly enough of it... but it is time to get Current on technology again....

The CarPC Pro V2.5 seems to be the top of the line....

I have been looking around the forum and see little feedback on it.... Have many used it, do you like it, do you hate it... let me (and others) know what you think of it....

Originally posted by dug1967
    I have been using an ITPS for a while now and want to step up. The ITPS has been GREAT, for being designed two or three years ago, it still does the job..... I can't speak highly enough of it... but it is time to get Current on technology again....

The CarPC Pro V2.5 seems to be the top of the line....

I have been looking around the forum and see little feedback on it.... Have many used it, do you like it, do you hate it... let me (and others) know what you think of it....

It depends on what you want in a shutdown controller and what you plan to hook up to it..

-Jeff
    MPEGBOX - Plexiglass Computer
    www.mpegbox.com

Comment

If you think the ITPS was great, you'll love everything else. ;-)
      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
      Want to:
      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte
        If you think the ITPS was great, you'll love everything else. ;-)
        Hahahaha....I knew you will say that!

I use it too and no prob so far. (but of course you knew that )

Thanatos.
        RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
        We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

I just ordered a DSSC.. haven't got it yet, so I can't say how good/bad it is, but it's another option to keep in mind.

http://www.dashwerks.com/dw_dssc.php

-arebelspy
          See my trades here! My For Sale/Trade Thread. Email joe at eipse.com
          Originally posted by xdjxklusivex
          i think every thread is now a whoreing thread

Comment

I have a biased opinion but I designed the uSDC and it uses the same technology that the DSATX smart 220 watt DC-DC power supply uses. Depending on your need, it gives you the best value. It is very small and uses surface mount technology from the late 90's where as the CarPC pro uses 80's board technology making it not as small.

http://www.mpegbox.com/microsdc/index.html

-Jeff
            www.mpegbox.com

Comment

I dont think size and techonology matters, it all come down to reliabilty.

Not to put down the uSDC but for those who bought or thinking of buying a uSDC may wanna check this thread>>>

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...9&page=1&pp=15

Unless of course zoot have fixed the issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris31
                I dont think size and techonology matters, it all come down to reliabilty.

Not to put down the uSDC but for those who bought or thinking of buying a uSDC may wanna check this thread>>>

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...9&page=1&pp=15

Unless of course zoot have fixed the issues.
                Yaa, those problems were fixed a long time ago. I made a fix with firmware and then I made it even more robust with a hardware filter.
                www.mpegbox.com

Comment

Thanks for the comments so far.... I was expecting a few ITPS "jabs"..... but for real it is an outdated but fine device....

So far it appears little useage of the CarPC pro.... anybody?????

Comment

Dug, I know this is an older thread, and maybe you went somewhere else or already made a purchase, but I thought I, as the designer of the CarPC Power Controllers would make a few comments:

Anyone who wants try out our SDCs can do so without fear. We go to great lengths to make all our customers happy. If a customer isn't happy with our product, we will do whatever it takes to make them happy. Period.

I enjoyed the 80's remark - it made me smile (I'm not being sarcastic). But just FYI for anyone who doesn't know about electronic design, the microcontroller and some other parts used on our boards is not 80's tech at all. The throughhole layout technique was prevelent in the 80's (even possibly 70's), and is still used today in many designs. Sure, size is important - but 0805 smd resistors and their pads don't take much less room on the top of a PCB than through-hole 1/4 watt resistors. The real reason the uSDC board is so much smaller is because his board has a much lower component count and only 1 relay (they are large compared to any other component). It takes a lot of parts to provide the vast number of features our boards offer.

Anyone who has concerns or questions about purchasing our product should email us.

KyferEz
                    TheCarPCStore.com - Power Controllers (SDC), Inverters, Tank Circuit, GPS, OBDII, CarPCs, and more!
                    PSU Wattage Calculator
                    Electronics Calculators
                    Copper Wire Data

Comment

Originally posted by KyferEz
                      Sure, size is important - but 0805 smd resistors and their pads don't take much less room on the top of a PCB than through-hole 1/4 watt resistors. The real reason the uSDC board is so much smaller is because his board has a much lower component count and only 1 relay (they are large compared to any other component). It takes a lot of parts to provide the vast number of features our boards offer.

Anyone who has concerns or questions about purchasing our product should email us.

KyferEz
                      Somehow it sounds like your bending the truth.

This is your 1/4 watt resistor vs the resitors the uSDC uses 0603:

www.mpegbox.com

Comment

Originally posted by KyferEz
                        Dug, I know this is an older thread, and maybe you went somewhere else or already made a purchase, but I thought I, as the designer of the CarPC Power Controllers would make a few comments:

Anyone who wants try out our SDCs can do so without fear. We go to great lengths to make all our customers happy. If a customer isn't happy with our product, we will do whatever it takes to make them happy. Period.

I enjoyed the 80's remark - it made me smile (I'm not being sarcastic). But just FYI for anyone who doesn't know about electronic design, the microcontroller and some other parts used on our boards is not 80's tech at all. The throughhole layout technique was prevelent in the 80's (even possibly 70's), and is still used today in many designs. Sure, size is important - but 0805 smd resistors and their pads don't take much less room on the top of a PCB than through-hole 1/4 watt resistors. The real reason the uSDC board is so much smaller is because his board has a much lower component count and only 1 relay (they are large compared to any other component). It takes a lot of parts to provide the vast number of features our boards offer.

KyferEz
                        Well Travis (I am assuming you are Travis).... I did order the CarPC Pro and I think it is GREAT.... I am very impressed with the design, construction and function of the device... I concure with your comments about 80's technology.... It is definately not outdated technology..... I am sure the overall size could be slightly reduced with SMD stuff, but not by much and with little benefit that I could see....

The only SLIGHT grip I have with it is the need to attach to another relay for controlling a DC-DC power supply, being that it is designed mainly for Inverters and this is made clear up front.... So it is a choice I made and acceptted.... but my entire Carputer sounds like a whore on linoleum (click, click, click......) when it starts up... so many relays....

But this is very minor and does not at all detract from a great product... anybody reading this thread in the same situation I was in when I was looking for a power sequencer... I HIGHLY recommend the CarPC ones.

Comment

Nothing wrong with tru holes parts really...they do look ugly now though specially the 1/4W resistor mounted vertically. The 1/8W look better when mounted horizontally.

Some like the pretty look of the SMDs but what difference does it make if the board is slightly bigger or smaller. The size is not really critical here, to within reason of course.

Comment

Originally posted by zootjeff
                            Somehow it sounds like your bending the truth.

This is your 1/4 watt resistor vs the resitors the uSDC uses 0603:

I am sorry Jeff, my only intent was to compare 0805 smds with 1/4watt through-holes, not to make anyone think you used 0805 smd parts.

Travis (aka KyferEz)
                            TheCarPCStore.com - Power Controllers (SDC), Inverters, Tank Circuit, GPS, OBDII, CarPCs, and more!
                            PSU Wattage Calculator
                            Electronics Calculators
                            Copper Wire Data

Comment

Working...
                            X