how do i hardwire this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do i hardwire this?

i have this power inverter that i want to hardwire into the car's accessory power. it comes with a cigarette lighter head... so i'm wondering what i need to do to hardwire it. also, what wire can i tap into? the inverter will be under the passenger seat, next to the comp... is there anything available there that i can use for power (2002 WRX)? here's a picture of the outside.
    Attached Files

here's a picture of the inside. when opened up, you can see where the 2 wires run to. which one is positive and which one is negative? is it safe to just tap an accessory wire? do i need a fuse? thanks in advance!
    Attached Files

Comment

You have 2 give it power and see witch wire is positive and which is negative with a multimeter. They wire it and puse the posiitive line.
      2002 Mitsubishi Galant
      Progress: 90% [-▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓- ->

Carputer Specs:
      Via M10K
      512mb Ram
      60GB HDD
      Souund Blaster Audigy2 NX
      OPUS ITX PC Case

Comment

buy an opus!!

More than likely the positive is the top wire and the negative is the bottom... but I agree that you should test it with a multimeter!!

But if you want quality power get an opus... really man... I made the mistake with my first carpc of going with a power inverter and I got so much line noise that I could barely listen to music because it sounded so bad.
        New CarPC on the way again I think. I miss my old one!!!

Comment

Center pin is hot, outer is ground. Cant tell from the pic 100% which is which, but center IS hot on all he cars I have ever worked on.
          2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

Center pin is hot, outer is ground.

That means that in that pic, the bottom wire is hot, the top is ground.

Expect a lot of inverter noise in your stereo.
            So Steve, how fast is your car?

Oh, about 1800mhz.

Comment

Assuming Subaru hasnt changed their wiring codes in 10 years, you should find a yellow wire with red stripes behind the dash. That should be ACC+.

Test it with a multimeter tho.

With the ignition off, it should be at 0. With the ignition on, it should be 12+

Oh, about 1800mhz.

Comment

what kind of fuse should i put inline? details please... i don't understand much about this stuff.

Comment

inverter =

opus =

ur gonna get alotttttttttttttttt of noise and ur gonna hate it!

Comment

Originally posted by Poe
                    what kind of fuse should i put inline? details please... i don't understand much about this stuff.
                    It depends on the gauge and length of the wire.

The point of a fuse is to stop the wire from overheating and starting a fire in the case of a short circuit.

I have a 4 gauge wire 15 feet long going to my amp, it's running a 50A fuse

My 10 gauge wire going to my Opus is 10 feet long, and its running a 15 amp fuse. I could probably put a 20 amp in there, but I dont really need one, 15 * 12 = 180W = more than my Opus can take anyway

The ACC+ line in your car is already fused. HOWEVER. You might run into problems. It powers multiple things, the CD deck, the factory speakers, the cigarette lighter. Most cars only have 15 amp fuses in the ACC line. I burnt out the WIRING (dangerous) in a mazda protege by pulling 200W from the cigarette lighter with an inverter. The wires used are very small and theyre not meant for heavy loads.

You'd be much better off using the ACC to trigger a relay, which would switch a large gauge wire coming from your battery (12 gauge or lower, with an inline 15 amp fuse). It'd be much safer, not that much more expensive, and allow you a little more headroom with power usage.

Oh, about 1800mhz.

Comment

What kind of wattage is that inverter?
                      The cig lighter may or maynot take the load from the inverter.
                      2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                      89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                      Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                      RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                      EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

it's a 150watt inverter. the fuse that was on the cigarette adapter originally is a 12amp. should i wire a 12amp in?

Comment

if i want to run a line straight from the battery to power the inverter... but i want it to turn on and off with the car's accessory power... can i use a relay controlled by the cigarette lighter in the car to control it? if so... what kind of relay should i use? would a regular relay be good enough?

Comment

Working...
                          X