With the dsatx, could i...?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With the dsatx, could i...?

Could i power my +5v hub and Xenarc screen from the PSU as well as the athlon 2400 chip? ...but there is more. By doing this, it will require that i run about a 3meter cable for +5, +12 and ground to the front of the vehicle...

So this slightly changes the question, can a PSU mounted in the rear of the vehicle support powering the above (Xenarc, slot load DVD and Hub) in the front of the vehicle or will the voltage drop be substantial?

My thought is of course, as long as the PSU can handle the added load, and the approriate gauge wire is used. Is there another factor that I have not thought of?
    Take my advice: Do not try to build a system that includes EVERY feature. Start with the basics, build it to a bug free state, and THEN add on.

Originally posted by Will Albers
    Could i power my +5v hub and Xenarc screen from the PSU as well as the athlon 2400 chip? ...but there is more. By doing this, it will require that i run about a 3meter cable for +5, +12 and ground to the front of the vehicle...

So this slightly changes the question, can a PSU mounted in the rear of the vehicle support powering the above (Xenarc, slot load DVD and Hub) in the front of the vehicle or will the voltage drop be substantial?

My thought is of course, as long as the PSU can handle the added load, and the approriate gauge wire is used. Is there another factor that I have not thought of?
    I guess it depends on how much power budget you have.

In theory it would work, you might want to filter it at the load, and you might want to run heavy gauge wire.

Do you know how much power your system draws?

-Jeff
    MPEGBOX - Plexiglass Computer
    www.mpegbox.com

Comment

I'll have to read it over and come up with draw. What type of filter are you talking about?

Here is another thought, how would this work with a laptop? That is to say, using an automotive 12 v adapter off the 12 volt rail and the 5 volts for accessories? The startup controller powering a modified switch. I realize its a bit inefficient, but i was going to give it a try just to see. (Its a little laptop i have sitting around, i still plan to use the DSATX for my athlonM system.)
      Take my advice: Do not try to build a system that includes EVERY feature. Start with the basics, build it to a bug free state, and THEN add on.

Comment

Working...
      X