Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xbox powersupply @ 12v

Hi,

I've seen some posts regarding pc psu rebuild. Some say its easy, some say its almost impossible and very expensive.
    I've done some minor testing on my xbox psu
    and i can't see whats the problem
    Edit#2: This last row should be something like this:
    and with my limited knowledge I saw a really easy solution but I can't make it work.

first some pics at my psu.
    Pic#1
    Pic#2
    Pic#3
    Pic#4
    Pic#5
    In Pic#4 one component is missing, u can see it in Pic#3.

If I measure over the solderings marked "+" & "-" in Pic#1 with my multimeter I get something around 14V DC. I can't see any other connections that goes between the "ac and dc sides" of the psu. So at that point I was very positive to my experiment.

The sad part is that when I desoldered the ac/dc converter (bridge? I'm not shure what its called in english) and connected an other psu 12v to + & - (and not using the 220v ac --> 14v AC --> 14v DC part of the psu)... nothing happens
    Anyone with ideas about what is happening plz reply.

Edit: I just spotted something. If u look in the lower left corner on Pic#4 (near where the ac/dc converter should be) there are two orange things.they are marked E 222M. One goes from "~" to "+" and the other from ~(#2) to "-". Is those just for some kind of protection from high voltage. or are they used to create some kind of pulse in the DC? I'm not blessed with an ossillioscope (spelling?).

Edit: Just tried connecting the box to my car to test it with 14v (given by the cigarett lighter) but that didnt do anything good. damn.

I just found a very informative thread:
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...820#post376820
    must say that it does sound like both polc and stimps knows what they are talking about.

I've seen alot of posts regarding the need to rewire the coil.

But as far as I can see (and stated in my first post) the v1.0 psu with a few components transforms 230VAC down to around 14VAC and then converts it from 14VAC to 14VDC with that one
    after the ac/dc convertor there are a big capacitor (180uF) holding 14V and i cant see what differance it make if that 14VDC current comes from the onboard coil (and the other components) or if i power it in another way

I can´t find any other connection between the "hi-voltage" and the "low-voltage" part of the pcb.

Can someone tell me if this is wrong and much harder than what I´m trying to do.

Comment

Picture #3 is the bridge rectifier. This converts the AC comming out of that big transformer (big lump of metal) into DC, of course together with the smoothing capacitor (big round black object).

The 2 orange things are 2.2nF ceramic disc capacitors, all it does is filter out some noise.

You are right, from what I can also see all it does is convert the main AC into 14V DC. So in theory if you substitute a 14VDC supply where the +/- connection are from that rectifier (pic #3) it should work.

Theres an inductor (green round thing) there and a vertical circuit board. From my guess the 14VDC is then stepped down and regulated by those components.

What are the expected outputs from this PSU? multiple outputs? voltages? currents?

Comment

tnx for the answer. just got some hope back

On the psu I can read:
        Foxlink
        Model: FTPS-0002
        Rev: B
        Max output power: 96W
        AC input 220 - 240V ~ 1,2A
        DC output:
        +5V = 13,2A
        +12V = 1,2A
        +3,3V = 4,8A
        +3VSB = 0,045A

MADE IN CHINA

Comment

I'm going to guess that your problem is that you aren't supplying 14v to that part of the circuit. 12v will not be enough because there is a voltage drop between the 14v and the 12v output. If you only supply 12v, then ~10V is getting to the components. With my PC experience, this is just not enough.

Also, the powersupply you are using to supply the 12v, is probably dropping to around 11.6 when you put that much of a load on it (if it can even supply that load), which is further dropping the final voltages.
          Bruno Speech Recognition - Advanced Speech Recognition designed to control any program. Extra support for FrodoPlayer and Winamp.

Comment

Originally posted by Darchon
            Edit: Just tried connecting the box to my car to test it with 14v (given by the cigarett lighter) but that didnt do anything good. damn.
            As Ive said I already tested to supply 14V by connecting it to the car.

However I think am going to put this one on ice now.. looks to me like i was on drugs while measuring and getting the 14V result.. I just connected the psu to 230V and measured again and it now shows 230VAC where I stated it was 14VAC

But then what is that first transformator doing??
            also I would be happy if someone could find some specs. about that bridge rectifier

I'm off to for guides to build my own very simple converter if someone knows of a guide plz let me know. I only need 12v input +12v +5v +3v +3,3v output. no -12v is needed.

Comment

Now what would you say if I were going to order some regulators like this or simular. put some capacitors and power my xbox up in the car... is this a way to go?

edit: I´m adding possible components as i find them:
              cs 5205 (5A fixed at 3,3 or 5V max input 17V)
              LM 1084 (5A fixed at 5 or 12V )

replies wanted!! other, better serving components?

I´m starting at measuring the needed currents..

update:
              The box is using the following currents
              +5V 8-9A
              +12V 0,2-0,4A
              +3,3V 2-3A (jumps up to 3A a very short time at bootup seems to idle at 1,2A)
              +3VSB not measured but since the original psu is rated at 0.045A...

I think Im going to build a modified copy of a sproggy. sorry for starting a thread with lots of noob questions. did alot of searching before making the post. Hopefully I´m getting this done and will be able to contribute alittle.. feels like it should be someone else than me wanting a neat/simple powersupply for the xbox in car function.

Comment

you think you have noob questions?! hah! i want to put my xbox in my 350z and i am sure i know how to do everything BUT powering it. i figured i could just buy a power inverter and plug the xbox into that, but that's not the right way to do it, is it?

from what i can tell, you are trying to reconfigure the existing xbox p/s to operate at the 14vdc from a car instead of the 120vac. why can't you just replace the p/s with one that is compatible with what you need and meets the existing p/s numbers?
                2005 Nissan 350Z PPW Enth 6MT
                Too many mods...

Comment

Don't know how much this will help you but here's what i did and my results.

Prior to embarking on the whole carputer idea, i thought that an xbox would be great for a multimedia station. So i bought a Opus DC-DC PSU (150W) and a tribemods Xbox to ATX converter, pluged it all in and it powered up and would not boot the dashboard.

Maybe the hdd was just drawing too much load or it might have had a little sad.. i dont know.. but hope this helps in some way.

Pete.

Comment

Intra.. I dont know how that atx --> xbox adapter works.
                    does it change the atx standard power standby +5V to +3V that xbox uses?

Acree.. As I stated in may last post. I'm going to make an convertor simillar to the sproggy psu.

the noob questions seem kind of noob to me now that am alittle more in to the subject.. very much is explaned in the forum.. just didnt know what to search for.

Comment

yeah i believe it downsteps it 3.3v or something like that.

hehe, still got two of them gathering dust in the attic

Comment

I have a tribemods adaptor and opus and my xbox worked great in the car, I even used the on button to start up the xbox

Craig
                        Audi S8 supercar
                        Modded Xbox 400GB HD
                        Rear 7" screen & navplus

Toyota Hiace Van
                        Shuttle PIII 866 256Mb 10GB OPUS powered
                        MediaCar & Mappoint 2004
                        Custom fit 7" TFT VGA TSK

Comment

they now sell an xbox 12v powersupply, at llama.com IIRC

Comment

Originally posted by intra
                            Don't know how much this will help you but here's what i did and my results.

Prior to embarking on the whole carputer idea, i thought that an xbox would be great for a multimedia station. So i bought a Opus DC-DC PSU (150W) and a tribemods Xbox to ATX converter, pluged it all in and it powered up and would not boot the dashboard.

Maybe the hdd was just drawing too much load or it might have had a little sad.. i dont know.. but hope this helps in some way.

Pete.
                            I used a 90 watt M1-ATX and it powered up with no problems...well, I did have a problem when I was doing testing with 3 AMP AC-DC power supply, it didn't supply enough amps to power it up with the hard drive...but once I got a bigger 15 AMP power supply, it ran fine...and of course, it runs fine on a 12V car power.

Comment

hello tranman,
                              i was curious, you only plugged in the m1-atx without the apache 2.6 adapter and it worked in your xbox? what version of xbox do you have? any info is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X