Need A DC-DC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need A DC-DC

Hey guys, well I think I've given up on finding a 350W DC-DC or hav9ing my current 110v psu converted.... So im goin to try and use two sperate psus, one for the mobo, and the other for everything else...

The mobo itself requires a miniumum of a 250W psu, and i was think of using a 100-150W for everything else... would this work?

or is there a way to string together dc-dc psu's to get around 350W?
    Debating on installing a carpc in my Jeep.....

Why in gods name do you need that much power? Thats just silly?

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ighlight=dsatx
    Take my advice: Do not try to build a system that includes EVERY feature. Start with the basics, build it to a bug free state, and THEN add on.

Comment

There was a recent thread about combining output of multiple PSU's, but I didn't read fully to find the outcome. As far as running multiple PSU's, it is definately feasible. I currently have two psu's in my car. Also my main fileserver in my house (houses 8 large drives) uses two PSU's as well. Biggest thing to tackle is syncing the startup and shutdown. In my fileserver I just tap two lines of the ATX connector from the second PSU to handle the syncing. In my car I don't do quite that because I have one up front for my screen, usb hub and dvd drive. I just tap off the same accessory line.

Comment

well the mobo needs 250W as stated in its oweners manual, since its a dual vga mobo, then i have 2 HDDs and many USB devices.... and soon a watercooling pump

Comment

Originally posted by djXternal
          well the mobo needs 250W as stated in its oweners manual, since its a dual vga mobo, then i have 2 HDDs and many USB devices.... and soon a watercooling pump
          DSATX at 220 watts is your best bet for a DC-DC
          MPEGBOX - Plexiglass Computer
          www.mpegbox.com

Comment

The mb alone most certainly should not need 250W. It is probably including some basic components. They couldn't possibly tell you exactly what you need anyway as different CPU's can change things signifcantly.

If the components are run off a different power supply, it shouldn't be a problem. Run you drives, fans and any other powered devices off of the second PSU. Just keep an eye on the individual lines as wattage is far from the only factor. You don't want a 150 watt PSU with 25 amps on the 5V line and only 2 amps on the 12V line.

Comment

djXternal...
              You are aware that the PC has three rails:
              12v, 5v and 3.3v.
              Most peripherals operate off either 12v or 5v. The 3.3v is for the PCI bus.

Have you considered getting a primary PSU (Opus 150w, Keypower 250w or DSATX 220w from zootjeff) for the PC and an Opus POL power supply for devices? The POL is a lot lower rating, but it's only supplying 5v to the devices that require 5v (USB hubs, fans, slim optical drives, etc.)

Oh, and I think you're completely loony for trying this.
              But then again, they thought Einstein was loony, too. Have fun.
              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
              How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

that might be a good idea with a 250W dc-dc and the POL psu... the 5.25" HDDs use 5v? or 12v? i cant really remember....

and i cannot go with less than 250W for the system, I had this whole thing running off a 250W 110vac psu before and the stability was not cool....

Comment

If he is going to run the drives off of a seperate PSU if he does indeed need to, I would suggest getting the Carnetix 1290. Gives you another 6 amps on the 12V line (enough for 2 3.5" drives + fans + screen) and 3 amps on the 5V line (for a USB hub or external slim dvd drive). Keep in mind that the 5V line on that will not handle a USB hub and a slim drive. I actually still have to order a 5V POL ps so I can power my slim drive as the 1290 I have obviously isn't enough at start-up.

Comment

Originally posted by djXternal
                    that might be a good idea with a 250W dc-dc and the POL psu... the 5.25" HDDs use 5v? or 12v? i cant really remember....

and i cannot go with less than 250W for the system, I had this whole thing running off a 250W 110vac psu before and the stability was not cool....

As I stated in my previous post, the HD's run off of 12V's. Keep in mind that your 250W PSU was probably a generic POS (sorry if I'm assuming wrong). Also you were running your 2 HD's and probably a cd/dvd drive off it as well. Take those out of the equation for the main PSU and you shouldn't have stability problems.

Comment

well heres the list of things im needing to run on the secondary psu.....

2 5.25" HDDs
                      Possibly 2-4 Large 120mm fans
                      And probably some usb devices (not many though)

Comment

before searching for power needs, identify what the type of system is...

what are you using for a motherboard? cpu? how much ram? hdds? any optical drives? wifi? what type of pump are you using? what screens are you using?

you could probably get away with a cheap psu
                        1995 Ford Mustang Convertible
                        DSATX | Shuttle XPC SN41G2Bv2 | 619GL-70NP | CF 1.6 (which is still unusable in the car!)

Comment

I would suggest going with the 1290 as I stated before. It will be plenty for your hd's and fans. It also gives you the option to add a USB powered hub (which I highly suggest) if you decide to add more usb devices. There might be better options out there, but that is what I used and it is serving me very well. Not the cheapest route, but most power solutions for the car are not.

Comment

alright heres the lsiting of the system.......

Mobo: EpoX EP-8rgm3i
                            RAM: 1 stick 512Mb PC2700
                            HDD: 1 30GB 5400 RPM
                            1 80GB 7200 RPM
                            Optical Drives: 1 Slot Load DVD-ROM
                            USB Devices: 802.11b adapter
                            two touchscreens
                            GPS mouse
                            ....not sure on the pump yet, might be in the area of a 12v 10amp pump, but that might be ran off my acc line stead, or straight from battery
                            and i have one dww-750j in-dash motosized screen, and a 7" lilliput

Comment

Originally posted by schpanky
                              before searching for power needs, identify what the type of system is...

what are you using for a motherboard? cpu? how much ram? hdds? any optical drives? wifi? what type of pump are you using? what screens are you using?

you could probably get away with a cheap psu
                              This will help you figure out what to do for the main PSU. Depending on your processor, I would suggest going with the OPUS 150W or jeff's PSU. I'm sure jeff's will be more than enough for just the system board, ram, cpu, pci cards. You said you are using onboard video (even though it is dual vga). As long as you don't go with some crazy video card and stick with the onboard, you shouldn't have a problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X