No announcement yet.

what to do about the 1x6 p4 connector?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to do about the 1x6 p4 connector?

i have a p4 motherboard that requires 3 power connectores. the standard 2x10 ATX connector, the 2x2 four pin... and a 1x6 connector. the opus 150watt doesn't have the 1x6 power connector. does that mean i can't power tihs motherboard?

What motherboard are you using? 12V P4 connectors are 4 pin (2x2) not 6 pin. You have 2 options to power your motherboard using your existing PSU. One is to purchase a P4 cable and add it to your power supply. The second is to find another power supply. Like the PW-200V or PW-200M, there are others out there as well. I have included 2 pictures that show the P4 mods. One requires you to solder the cable to your PSU, the other plugs right into a standard 4 pin molex. But before you waste your time with the mods, check to see how many amps the +12V rail on your Opus supports. I would say it needs 10-14 amps to support a P4 but i'm not an expert. I'm using a Pentium M motherboard and powering it by a PW-200V which supports 12amps on the 12V rail and it works perfectly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/P4-cable-Pentium...QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/sc.8/ca...it.A/id.303/.f
    Attached Files
    Don't hold your farts in! They travel up your spine, into your brain, and that's where you get crappy ideas from!!!

Comment

Can you post the motherboard model so we know what connector youre talking about
      2004 G35 Coupe project

Comment

i don't know what the model of the motherboard is... but it's the 3rd connector on a P4 motherboard. the motherboard has THREE power connectors going to it. one is the standard 20 pin ATX... which the opus has. the second is the 4 pin square one... which the opus has as well. the last one is a flat 6 pin connector. it also comes from the power supply. i'll try to find a picture of one.

Comment

is it out of a gateway or dell? I have a p4 1.3 gatway that has some wierd aux. connector I cannot remember the molex name right now, but i had to get a special power supply to replace the one that came with it.
          My Install

Software:
          CFiG v1
          iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell
          Working shell for a CarPC

StopWatch
          StopWatch plugin remade for centrafuse RC1

Comment

the connector you are talking about is most likely the auxilary power connector providing extra 3.3V and 5V juice. It is only needed if you are using more than 18A on 3.3V or 30A on 5V. So just hook it up as it is. If you need more answer, look up ATX specs.
            I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you an understanding.

Comment

thanks a lot guys. i just left it open. system works fine. oh btw.. it's a compaq.

Comment

Originally posted by rushnrockt
                the connector you are talking about is most likely the auxilary power connector providing extra 3.3V and 5V juice. It is only needed if you are using more than 18A on 3.3V or 30A on 5V. So just hook it up as it is. If you need more answer, look up ATX specs.
                This can be a good answer to my questions... I've a 1.5 Ghz centrino and the MB has the p4 connector, I wanted to use the M1 atx, so can I leave the p4 4pin connector free and use only the other 2 connectors?

My system:

8' VGA/TOUCHSCREEN
                Aopen XC Cube MZ 855 Barebone (integrated video and sound)
                Centrino 1.5 Ghz
                1x512MB DDR 2700
                DVD-RW Slim
                3.5' 60 GB HD Maxtor Ata 133 - 7200 Rpm
                USB Mini Keyboard
                USB GPS BU-353
                Linksys USB Wireless adapter

Comment

Originally posted by luckyno
                  This can be a good answer to my questions... I've a 1.5 Ghz centrino and the MB has the p4 connector, I wanted to use the M1 atx, so can I leave the p4 4pin connector free and use only the other 2 connectors?
                  No. The connector that Poe was referring to on his setup is entirely different. You need that 4-pin connector to provide 12v power tot he motherboard. M1-ATX ain't gonna cut it.
                  Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                  How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

thanks! I'm a newbie and here where I live in Switzerland, there isn't anyone with a car pc, my friends always laugh when I speak about my project

Comment

You need geekier friends.
                      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Working...
                      X