Wiring IGN on an Opus 120W

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring IGN on an Opus 120W

I'm about to buy an Opus 120 W PS and had a wiring question. What I want to do is be able to have the Opus turn the computer on/off with a SPST toggle switch instead of with the ACC line. Is it safe to use the unregulated power line from the car battery through the switch like is shown in the Opus User Guide? I'm not really sure how much power that the IGN line of the Opus is wanting to draw or if it would be affected by random power spikes. The switch is rated pretty high at 15-20 amps and my system probably only uses 5-10 amps.

Here's a picture in case my explanation is confusing.

System specs:
    Pentium3 800EB processor, 512 mb pc133, onboard video/sound/lan, WD 40 GB 5400 RPM HD, Bu-353 powered through USB, 8" touchscreen wired to powersupply molex (uses 1 A)

You'll be fine doing that, the power draw on the ign line is very low, like under 200 mA. The 20 amps for the system power (although I think the opus 120 watt is fused to 15 amps?) will be drawn through the yellow line.
    My 2002 F250 Install

Comment

Ok that's good. I just wasn't sure if the IGN of the Opus needed clean 12 volt power.

Comment

Hey I'm trying to do something kind of similar, and I think my question is the same as yours. But since I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to electronics, I figure I better ask first.

I've got an Opus 90w. I've had it working great now for about a year, but I'd like to put a switch on the Opus IGN line to fool it into thinking the car is On/Off/Acc depending on what I need.

Like I said, I *think* you just answered this question, but can I do this using a 3-position switch:
        Attached Files
        2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport 4WD
        Opus 90W, Epia M210K, Lilli 7" TS, 30GB, CDR/DVD Slot, PowerMate, Earthmate, 200GB Seagate 3.5", Verizon BroadbandAccess, CentraFuse, Valetine1 .....

Comment

Your diagram is a on-on SPDT switch. There's another kind of SPDT switch that has 3 positions (on-off-on) and I would think it would be better suited for your application.
          Using your diagram you would never be able to shut off the computer while the car was still running.

Comment

oops. sorry. i dont even know how to draw a good diagram. the switch i have is on-off-on. i just didn't show the off position. i just want to make sure the random 12v line i have going in would be ok to send to the opus IGN line.

thanks
            Opus 90W, Epia M210K, Lilli 7" TS, 30GB, CDR/DVD Slot, PowerMate, Earthmate, 200GB Seagate 3.5", Verizon BroadbandAccess, CentraFuse, Valetine1 .....

Comment

Originally posted by roleary
              oops. sorry. i dont even know how to draw a good diagram. the switch i have is on-off-on. i just didn't show the off position. i just want to make sure the random 12v line i have going in would be ok to send to the opus IGN line.

thanks

Yes, as long as you are using the Ignition wire for the ps. As mentioned, the Ignition wire probably only draws about 200 ma. Any wire should be sufficient to supply an additional 200ma.

Michael
              ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

thanks for the help as always

Comment

Working...
                X