Travla meets Carnetix

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travla meets Carnetix

I recently purchased the Travla C158 case (90W psu) and the Carnetix P1290 DC-DC regulator....along with the necessary power cables to connect to my case (from mp3store). I have a couple of things that I needed advice on and I figured theres no where better to turn...

1. The Travla comes with a 90 watt psu and my regulator offers 12V @ 75 total watts....does this mean that it won't be enough to power my 90 watt travla psu? Should I have gotten the 60 watt psu instead?

2. The Carnetic P1290 offers 75 watts (6.3 amps) on its primary 12V line and 15 watts (3 amps) on its secondary 5V line. I need to power a usb hub, usb soundblaster soundcard, LCD screen, and external slot-load cd/dvd drive. Will my regulator provide enough juice?
    PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
    - Alpine W200/H701
    - ED Nine.2X
    - OZ Matrix Elites
    - ED Nine.1
    - Idmax 12's

C'mo you guys...I really need an answer to this asap so I can possibly either send back my 90W Travla and get the 60W Travla or send back my Carnetix P1290 and get the P1900....please help

Also, I'm using the Via Epia M10000...
    PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
    - Alpine W200/H701
    - ED Nine.2X
    - OZ Matrix Elites
    - ED Nine.1
    - Idmax 12's

Comment

you should be alright with what u have

the only problem would come is when you need more than 75 watts from the carnetix

Comment

The P1900 won't fit your needs either. It outputs 125 of it's 140 watts at 18/19/20V. You will blow your PSU if it expects 12V. The secondary output of 12V will be worse than your current situation using the P1900. Not sure what to suggest. I think you could be asking for trouble feeding 75W to a PSU that expects 90W.

Comment

I did some more research...

1. The Travla-90W case takes in 19VDC @ 4.73A
          2. The Travla-60W case takes in 12VDC @ 5A

3. The Carnetix P1290 provides 12V and 5V
          4. The Carnetic P1900 provides 19V and 12V

I'm assuming that the only combinations that will work are: 1 and 4, 2 and 3....and possibly 2 and 4

I have the following combination: 1 and 3

Are you sure this will work? I'm only giving my case 12V when its asking for 19V....but then again my mobo wants 12V...thats where i get confused...
          PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
          - Alpine W200/H701
          - ED Nine.2X
          - OZ Matrix Elites
          - ED Nine.1
          - Idmax 12's

Comment

If your PSU requires 19V, then it will not work. It will not blow the PSU like over-volting it could, but it won't work. It's not getting enough voltage or amperage. Also 2&4 won't work because the P1900 only outputs 1.25A @ 12V. You need to go with one of the other 2 combos.

Comment

Originally posted by 3onDubs
              2. The Carnetic P1290 offers 75 watts (6.3 amps) on its primary 12V line and 15 watts (3 amps) on its secondary 5V line. I need to power a usb hub, usb soundblaster soundcard, LCD screen, and external slot-load cd/dvd drive. Will my regulator provide enough juice?
              If you go the P1900 route (with 90W PSU), you can use the secondary output of 12V to power your screen. If you plan on powering all of the above, you will also need either 2 5V POL, or any regulator/PSU that can provide at least 5-6A @ 5V.

If you go the P1290 route (with 60W PSU), you can power the screen and PSU with the 12V line, and EITHER the usb hub or external drive. You will still need one 5V POL to power the other 5V device though.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the quick response...I was worried for a while...can't believe I overlooked this simple detail. This is my first setup and I was hoping to be able to install it this weekend...I guess i wont have the privelege for at least two more weeks...i'm probably going to send my 90W travla back once i get it tommorrow and get the 60W travla instead (i only lose shipping $ and time)

If I don't purchase an additional 5V POL, then is there an alternative way to power the peripherals...i.e. cig lighter...or is it wiser to use clean power?
                PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
                - Alpine W200/H701
                - ED Nine.2X
                - OZ Matrix Elites
                - ED Nine.1
                - Idmax 12's

Comment

You will need some type of regulated power. You will still need an additional 5V regulated output. A 4-port USB usually takes 2-3A @ 5V and so does an external slim drive. The 1290 won't power both.

Comment

Let's say I used my P1290 to run the following

12V: VIA M10K n LCD
                    5V: USB soundblaster

What would you recommend as a cheap addition to my P1290 setup if I wanted to also run the following: 2 Headrest monitors (12V 10W each), external usb CD-R/DVD, and USB hub?

Also, would i need a psu, regulator, or it doesn't matter....?
                    PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
                    - Alpine W200/H701
                    - ED Nine.2X
                    - OZ Matrix Elites
                    - ED Nine.1
                    - Idmax 12's

Comment

Your cheapest route (outside of a self-made creation), would be an M1-ATX. You can use the 12V rail (2A=24W) to power both screens. The 5V rail (10A=50W) to power the hub(2-3A), external slim-drive (2-3A). You would then have room to add an external usb/firewire hard drive (2-3A @ 5V) down the road if you wanted. It also means only one more device rather than multiple devices to try to wire up, configure, and stash away.

Comment

Originally posted by StrataG
                        Your cheapest route (outside of a self-made creation), would be an M1-ATX. You can use the 12V rail (2A=24W) to power both screens. The 5V rail (10A=50W) to power the hub(2-3A), external slim-drive (2-3A). You would then have room to add an external usb/firewire hard drive (2-3A @ 5V) down the road if you wanted. It also means only one more device rather than multiple devices to try to wire up, configure, and stash away.
                        You definitely make a good point...I was actually considering just running the extra devices to the cig lighter, but that would be a lot messier and I would be playing the guessing game...

...I think I'll buy the M1 today, hopefully i can get it before this weekend, thanks again for your help
                        PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
                        - Alpine W200/H701
                        - ED Nine.2X
                        - OZ Matrix Elites
                        - ED Nine.1
                        - Idmax 12's

Comment

I also had another quick question...I just got my external USB cd-r/dvd player shipped yesterday and I was running some tests. It only has a USB plug and gets its power via USB....I know that these players can consume up to 30 watts while running (i've seen that on some online power calculators).

Would it be ok to run this to one of the two onboard USB plugs on the VIA?

Would that provide enough power, or should I use my externally powered hub?

Also, if I have other devices that power themselves via USB (like the soundblaster live), could I use the powered hub to power all of these? Is there a general rule on the limit of the number of power sucking devices I can run to the hub?
                          PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
                          - Alpine W200/H701
                          - ED Nine.2X
                          - OZ Matrix Elites
                          - ED Nine.1
                          - Idmax 12's

Comment

Working...
                          X