ac dc converter question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ac dc converter question

i have a touchscreen that came with a AC DC converter. which just converts 120V to 12V. if i just cut off the converter part then wire that end of the cord to a 12v supply in my car would it safely power my monitor?

also how do i tell which wire is 12V and which is the ground?

It should work.

You need to become aquainted with a device called a digital multimeter. DMM's are your friend. You can get them at Radio Shock or Home Depot.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

or one of those screwdrivers with a bulb (not the AC type but an automotive one)
      Lez, more widely known as flez1966

Comment

if i just cut off the converter part then wire that end of the cord to a 12v supply in my car would it safely power my monitor?
        Remember that the key word here is REGULATED, if you plug in to your car cigarette outlet you going to be using non regulated (durty) power.

you mean in the cable? if yes just look behind the AC-DC adapter and you will find a mark telling you wich is wich (xenarc is + inside the barrel - outside the barrel)

If you mean in your car just try one of those screwdrivers with a bulb like lez said or maybe is time to get a multimeter from ratshack and do a better test

Also In electric (old school at least) they teach you that live color is + (blue, red, yellow) and neutral color is - (black, white) remember this isn't a rule (you can find live color with a litle neutral on them so the is where it becomes interting )

Good luck with your project.

Thanatos.
        RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
        We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

DMM's are your friend
          I like AMM better

Thanatos.

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Comment

Mean Well power supplys.

Been posted before.... by me and other menbers. (good stuff! I use one in my setup)

Thanatos.

BTW if you work for them is no need to post pushing your product... that is kind a lame!

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Comment

use some sort of dc-dc regulator. it's what i do.

also fuses are your friend. use them. when in doubt, use a whole pack. can't hurt.
              Welcome, cdm.
              You last visited: 09-13-2006 at 02:42 AM
              Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 3.

Wow.. how things have changed in 4 years. Gone are the days of mcgyver and datalux

Comment

Working...
              X