Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the ultimate carputer power supply??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the ultimate carputer power supply??

IT'll be 250-300watt, standard ATX (full size power suppy case) BUT!!! it will be able to run on either 12voltsDC OR 240voltsAC OR 110voltsAC THATS RIGHT!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!PLUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    When being powered be 12volts, you can have either a 240voltAC OR 110voltAC output to power a small device that can't be used from a dc-dc converter, (I don't know what that would be)

Is this possible???? I THINK IT IS!!!!!!!
    Just gimmi a a few months and we will see where it goes..

!!!!PLUS!!!!!
    it should be quite cheap as it won't cost much to make!!!!!!!! YAY!!! Don't believe it?? too good to be true?? (probably.. :P) BUT ITS A DREAM!!! and I think it is possible.. ask me a question about it??? any question, and I will answer it!!!
    2 week temp ban (spam and complaining about deleted posts)
    register another account and you're gone for good.

I'll take four!!

do you accept paypal?

lol....tell him he's dreaming.
    Jarrod - Holden VX S!

Comment

I"M NOT DREAMING!!!
      I might be tripping though.. :P I personally think it is totally possible..

Comment

ok, heres the million dollar question

how r u going to get a steady 12v output with a decent amount of current... say 4a or even 8a?

i`ve made a good dc-dc, but at the moment im using linear regulators to get 12v, and it sucks
        My Setup

Comment

I'd like to see how your going to fit a dc-dc power supply, DC-AC inverter, and an AC-DC power supply in the space of a standard psu.

Also is it going to auto detect the power? or will it have to be manually switched? Auto detect could save some headaches, like plugging a dc-dc psu into a mains socket. mwahahah
          http://www.mp3vl.tk Plans and progress on my install - (Updated 28 June 02)
          Australian mp3car Portal
          mp3car related links Check them out / Add some
          mp3car FAQ - RTFF

[########==]80% Assembling
          -=Current Progress: Working Sproggy supply, building box.=-

Comment

too bad its another one of skinnyboys ideas.

Tom

Comment

yeah, THEMP3KID's email address listed in his profile is "[email protected]"
              Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
              Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
              I'M DEBT FREE!!
              I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

give the kid a break..
                He's entering the board with a new userid.
                I know I have talked about him too, but when he's entering with a new userid, I assume he now knows how to behave himself on the board, and therefore not posting any 'un-usefull' posts to this forum...

When something is not possible, give him a short advice and then step back from the thread, let him learn by himself that something is just not possible..

Well skinny/kid, I'm not gonna tell you this won't work, simply because I don't know myself... If it works, good for you, and for the whole community.. If it doesn't work, don't ask us a zillion times why it doesn't

Greetz.

[ 02-12-2002: Message edited by: Raas ]
                Raas - The Netherlands
                ME: VIA epia m10000, lilliput 7', opus 150w, 80gb<br>
                GF: IBM Thinkpad 380, ext. 3.5 80gb, 40x4, PB-IR

Comment

We got ourselves SkinnyBoy Version 2.
                  Dude you been here long enough not to ask that sort of questions... Even though you got a new nick.

[ 02-12-2002: Message edited by: Fosgate ]
                  Fosgate

System Comp V3 - In progress.
                  Low power MB with C7 CPU, DC-DC PSU, car ECU link, USB TV, GPS, 7" TFT, Wireless, Voice.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hunt 79:
                    <STRONG>ok, heres the million dollar question

how r u going to get a steady 12v output with a decent amount of current... say 4a or even 8a?

i`ve made a good dc-dc, but at the moment im using linear regulators to get 12v, and it sucks </STRONG>
                    Foward converter. should give steady 12volts out with down to a 10volt in at about 12amps (well, thats what I am aiming for)

I'd like to see how your going to fit a dc-dc power supply, DC-AC inverter, and an AC-DC power supply in the space of a standard psu.
                    Also is it going to auto detect the power? or will it have to be manually switched? Auto detect could save some headaches, like plugging a dc-dc psu into a mains socket. mwahahah
                    Hmm, A good question, but I am not trying to do this how you think... The mains output (240 or 110volts) will be at a high frequency, so it won't be suitable for everything.. Also, its just a standard PS with a mod so it will work with 12volts DC as well as 240volts AC.. So, the mains part is really easy, and the mains output is just a bi-product of it being able to work off both AC and DC.. ALSO.. I think there is already an UPS that does this... It could run from both AC and DC.. plus, when being powered from dc it had a ac output, and was the same size as a standard power supply, witht eh batteries mounted in one, (or 2) of the cd drive bays.. So, if the power went off, teh mobo/hd would be powered from a DC-DC converter, adn teh monitor would be powered by an inverter in teh PS.. I saw this alond time ago, thoiught it was a good idea, but it was expensive...
                    Yeah, It'll have a switch to select the input voltage, and I was actaully thinking of having 2 different power conections for teh 2 different voltages..

[ 02-13-2002: Message edited by: THEMP3KID ]

Comment

Originally posted by THEMP3KID:
                      <STRONG>ask me a question about it??? any question, and I will answer it!!!</STRONG>
                      Instead of dreaming about it, why don't you do it and then come back and impress us when it is done. Actions always speak louder than words.

Rob
                      Old Systems retired due to new car
                      New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Yeah, I don't have any free time at teh moment, nor money.. I will try to do a little work on it each night and lots this weekend. I should have something within the next month or so...

Comment

Everyone please note this down, we going to have the ultimate power supply created by THEMP3KID/SkinnyBoy in the month or so...

Who's the first one to try it out? Do we have any Volunteers?
                          Fosgate

System Comp V3 - In progress.
                          Low power MB with C7 CPU, DC-DC PSU, car ECU link, USB TV, GPS, 7" TFT, Wireless, Voice.

Comment

If this idea was a software package I think the term we would want to use would be 'vapourware'.

also BTW, your excessive usage of that green smiely face ( ) gives you away every time. If your trying to fool everyone with a new user id, I think changing your attitude would be a good idea would it not?

[ 02-13-2002: Message edited by: magnetik ]
                            Project - GAME OVER :(

Comment

I wasn't trying to fool anyone with my new name, it was just one I created a while ago, and didn't like the name.. Okay, more about this power supply.. I have drawn up the general idea of how I am going to do this, but am not sure if it will even work yet,,So ask questions, show me whats wrong with it..

It looks like it would work to me..

Comment

Working...
                              X