CarPC Wont Boot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CarPC Wont Boot

the computer does not even turn on.. when i do it get it on sometimes it posts then crashes.. a red light apears on the motherboard.. its an Abit AA7 i think off hand..

I need help!!!

I have got a OPUS In Car 12V DC-DC 150W ATX Enclosed Power Supply

http://linitx.com/product_info.php?c...roducts_id=344

The specs of the computer are :

amd athlon xp 2000+
    512mb DDR Ram + 256mb DDR Ram
    60gig hd IDE
    PCI Sound Card
    128mb agp nvidia geforce 3 ti 200

Have you calculated your power requirements on each rail of the PSU? Sounds like problems from over driving your PSU.

Comment

i used a factory 145watt powersupply no trouble at all!

Comment

Power supplies vary. If the stock one has more juice on the 5V rail and that is what is straining on your Opus, it doesn't matter that the OPUS has 5 more watts. The important factor is what your system requires and what the Opus provides on each rail.

Comment

will i be better off getting a 200watt psu ?

Comment

well i mean all fans turn on etc.. then no display..

Comment

If your problem is not because of power issues, than no you won't. I can only make assumptions, it may not be that you are drawing too much power. Your PSU could be bad, or your wiring is not correct. There are a lot of possibilities, but you can narrow them down if you calculate your power requirements.

Comment

i just did a wattage calulator.. it came to 165watt

Comment

Again, wattage is not the problem obviously. You need to look up the requirements of each of your components and add up the total requirements on the 3.3V, 5V, and 12V. Then look up the output of the Opus and see if you are over the limits. You may be within limits, which will rule that problem out. If you have the money to waste and don't want to deal with the problem properly, just buy another PSU. Problem with that is it may be a wiring issue and a new PSU won't do anything for you.

Comment

i dont understand this but when i take the ground off its still runs.. i can't see where its grounded.. unless its grounding through the usb port to the touchscreen diplay..

Comment

just found out that it is groundin on the vga cable.

Comment

Originally posted by World705
                        just found out that it is groundin on the vga cable.

That doesn't sound good. IN any event, are you listening to what you are being told.

CHECK THE DAMN WATTAGE ON EACH RAIL FOR YOUR SYSTEM, and report back. I have a feeling you are exceeding the 5 or 3.3 volt rails with that superduper Graphics card and the extra ram. But that is just my opinion (and, most people here will tell you that 512 is more then enough for car use, unless you are gaming, and then well, carputers really aren't at that stage quite yet, at least with a DC-DC ps)

Then, check the wiring to the OPUS, all of them. Make sure you have ignition, constant positive, and ground correct.

No more posting till you get us those answers, O.K.

Michael
                        ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

how do i measure the wattage? accuratly

Comment

Originally posted by World705
                            how do i measure the wattage? accuratly

No real need to measure the wattage, just determine an approximate wattage on each rail using this

http://www.ohmygodmyarmfelloff.com/MP3Car/PSUpower.asp

Realize though, that is is an approximation. I think your athlon and the graphics card are drawing lots of power. I do not think that the calculator takes the real power requirements of your card into account.

I would try a bargain basement Video Card to see if you can boot. I am ALMOST POSITIVE it is the Video card and that Processor sapping up 3.3 and 5 volts. Consider the Vid Card an extra stick of RAM, an Extra Fan, and of course, then there is the actual card. I might even call that a second video card in the calculator along with the other things.

Then you have the Processor, which is approximately 55 watts. A look here http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm shaows that the processor is using 2.2 volts. This MOST LIKELY comes from the 5 volt rail (since the PS usually provides more amperage on the 5 volt rail then the 3.3 rail) 55/5 is 11, plus the already listed on the calculator 5.5 amps (which does not include the processor) and you are overloading the Opus's specs as seen here http://www.opussolutions.com/index.php?p=product&id=25 even though your total wattage consumption is below the 150watts that the Opus can supply.

Michael
                            ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

The problem you are having could be from various issues (as stated by other members) BUT, on a regualr computer if the RAM is no seated correctly or bad, most the time wont show video output. Something else that just came to mind is, Do you hear the POST test beep? if not hook a case speaker to the speaker plug in on the motherboar and listen for beeps (the types of beeps will tell you if you have bad RAM, Bad video card etc., one short beep means everything is working, not sure what the other beeps mean off hand but you can just Google it). If you already have that speaker installed and you are arent getting a post test then I would first try and remove one of the sticks of memory, then down grade the video card and keep troubleshooting that way until the computer boots......

Comment

Working...
                              X