carputer with both DC-DC and AC-DC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carputer with both DC-DC and AC-DC

How would I hook up both DC-DC and a AC-DC ATX power supplies to my bookPC. Reason for this is that I will leave the DC-DC outside the carputer and leave the AC-DC so I can plug it in my friend's house or whatever.... (partybox). Of course I will never power it up from BOTH PSU's...hehe just in case people are wondering.

If I make a Y adaptor would that screw up the other power supply when I power it up??

ATX 120VAC-DC
    |
    |
    |-------------- outputs to mobo / HD/CD ROM
    |
    |
    ATX 12V DC-DC

I recall I saw a website that someone had done this but I can't seem to find it... does anyone know or can help?
    04 Acura TL w/ core2duo 2ghz laptop w/ 1gb RAM on a docking station.

Fast car, fast PC. ;)

http://www.arcdesigns.net/carpc/

My TL CarPC ver2

FSR Flash Skin w/ moving weather maps

My knee-jerk response would be to build a switchbox.
    ~m
    PII 266, 512 MB RAM, 10 Gig, 36x CD-ROM, 16x DVD, DeLorme GPS, 5.6" LCD Screen, Dschmidt power controller, Keypower ATX DC-DC Supply, PowerAmp Macro controller, Dauphin mini-Kbd.
    Sony Head Unit, Sony Unilink input selector, rear deck Kenwood 6x9's, stock door spkrs... All in my '96 Civic, of course :}
    BC ROCKS!!!

Comment

What your going to want to do is build the thing up just with a DC-DC power supply and power the thing in a house by using a AC-DC converter. You DO NOT want to wire the outputs of both supplies together. It would be bad.

See if you can find something along these lines:
      supply

That way you can leave the book pc alone as a DC-DC box and power it with 12 volts when you are in the house..

You might be able to find one that is in a case so you don't have the open frame issue..
      But this is what I think you should do..

Jeff_
      MPEGBOX - Plexiglass Computer
      www.mpegbox.com

Comment

Here ya go..
        MPEGBOX - Plexiglass Computer
        www.mpegbox.com

Comment

hmm i had seen a setup with someone using both ac-dc and dc-dc but I can't remember where...anyone remember???? I was just curious how the guy did it.

thanks for the info Jeff. BTW. I want that PSU of yours are you getting my emails?
          04 Acura TL w/ core2duo 2ghz laptop w/ 1gb RAM on a docking station.

Fast car, fast PC. ;)

http://www.arcdesigns.net/carpc/

My TL CarPC ver2

FSR Flash Skin w/ moving weather maps

Comment

You could have two power supplies built in to the player with two power sockets on the back, one for 12vDC and one for 120vAC. And then have a switch to switch between which power supply is supplying the low voltages.

I was going to do this, but the switchmode I was going to use for the mains power is DEAD...

It WOULD have been good..
            This is the switchmode I was going to use...Oatleyelectronics

Comment

Heh, what I actually did while I was working on installing my system, to power my GPS and LCD which were wired to the cigarette lighter system.. (computer still had ac-dc PS so I just plugged that in).

Was I wired a 12V AC-DC basic wall PS, the kind of comes with most consumer devices, to a male cigarette lighter plug. Already had my battery disconnected as I was working on stuff.. pulled the cigarette lighter fuse just to be safe, and plugged it in.

Everything powered up great.
              Player: Celeron II 633MHz, 256MB RAM, 20GB IBM 9mm 2.5" Laptop HD (180G/2ms), onboard ethernet/sound/video/tvout, 10"11"x3" case, MPBS1 70W DC-DC PS w/auto-shutdown controller, in-dash lighted switches, 7" NTSC TFT widescreen in-dash LCD, touchscreen, rear-window brake light installed Garmin GPS35 GPS, credit card sized IR remote w/IRMan, mini-wireless keyboard/mouse (sits under seat), PowerMate black knob, MP3s and GPS Navigation (Winamp, CoPilot, SA8.0).
              Car: 1993 Nissan Maxima, Black Emerald

Comment

Or you could just use an old AT-power-supply
                Will give you more than enough to power the DC-DC supply

Greetz
                Raas - The Netherlands
                ME: VIA epia m10000, lilliput 7', opus 150w, 80gb<br>
                GF: IBM Thinkpad 380, ext. 3.5 80gb, 40x4, PB-IR

Comment

Agreed with Raas, that is what i do when i us my box for parties, but then again, i c where moahdib is going with his. I thought about doing this when i first started out, but never had time to execute on it. Anyway, i might try something this summer to c if it can be done, yes, you will need some sort of a switch board.
                  abcd-1
                  Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
                  You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

Probably the best idea would be to just power your DC-DC with an AC operated 12V PS when you are not in the car. An old AT power supply can be used for this. I do all the time when I need to test my player, mess with it inside, etc.
                    Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
                    Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
                    "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

It all depends on what your power supply is, some peoples, Aaron, only require 8 volts, but others may need over 12....

Comment

So use an adjustable DC power supply. Simple and cheap to make (have like 3 different versions on my site). That way, you can adjust it all the way to 30V or so (if you want to blow something up). A PC power supply will work with most commercial DC-DC units.
                        Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
                        Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
                        "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Well, if you use a 7812 regulator, and a transistor, for your 12volts, you will need at least 15volts...
                          :P

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Mucha:
                            <STRONG>Here ya go..</STRONG>
                            Wow, that's a good price. I was looking to build/buy one of these a while ago, and I couldn't even find the transformer for that price (so I just put up with unplugging my DC2DC and pluggin in a desktop supply).

Rob
                            Old Systems retired due to new car
                            New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Umm if i recall, i have one of those suckers underneath my desk here. Mine is Pyramid model ps-9kx....output 13.8V DC, 5amp constant 7amp surge. Last time (1yr ago) i tried it, i couldn't use it to power up my Arise ace-865v. Maybe i did something wrong back then but it just didn't power up my psu. I use regular PC PSU right now with a bad HD hooked up to power up my box. I will try this again and c what happens. Aaron, maybe u can help me rig up something to allow me to use this sucker, i payed like $49 for it if i recall and it is just collection dust here
                              abcd-1
                              Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
                              You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

Working...
                              X