MPBS1 ATX 12V DC-DC Power Supply

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPBS1 ATX 12V DC-DC Power Supply

Here are some of the pics of the supply I built.

Random Pictures of MPBS1 ATX Power Supply

Here are the Specs:

Input:
    8 - 14 volts DC, non regulated

Outputs:
    12v @ 2.0 amps > 75% efficient @ 12 volts in
    3.3v @ 5 amps > 80% efficient @ 12 volts in
    5v @ 5 amps > 85% efficient @ 12 volts in
    -12 volts @ 50 mA amps
    -5 volts @ 50 mA amps
    +5 Standby 0.5 Amps (option #1)
    or
    +5 Standby 1.5 Amps (option #2)

Standby Current (main rails off no +5VSB load) < 0.5 mA (option # 1)
    or
    Standby Current (main rails off no +5VSB load) < 10 mA (option # 2)

Operating Current (no load) = < 150 mA

Power output approx = 70 Watts
    Power input approx = 82 Watts (80% efficiency at rated load.)

I'm still not sure what to charge for the kit/supply. I am going to sell 2 of them for 90 bucks so I can get back some of the costs of development. I have spent over 60 hours designing and testing, but I don't know if I can order the parts in the quantities I need so that it costs me less than 90 bucks to build them. (it takes at least 2-3 hours soldering if you do it right) I will defiantly be selling kits. One option is to provide the board, heatsink housing, and maybe some screws. Along with a detailed guide and parts list. All of the parts can be ordered from www.digikey.com, but it looks like if you buy them in small quantities, it will cost about 90 bucks in parts.. :-( (and digikey is probably not the cheepest place to buy them, but they have everything.) If you wind your own coils, that will shave off 15 bucks on parts and if you get the main 4 ICs from Santa, that will shave off another 30 bucks.

Jeff_
    MPEGBOX - Plexiglass Computer
    www.mpegbox.com

I want it!!!
    04 Acura TL w/ core2duo 2ghz laptop w/ 1gb RAM on a docking station.

Fast car, fast PC. ;)

http://www.arcdesigns.net/carpc/

My TL CarPC ver2

FSR Flash Skin w/ moving weather maps

Comment

Sign me up...Can u send me the info. I want to build one this summer for my next project. Can this psu power up my setup. Infact, if you where to rate your PSU against the arise ACE-865v what would you say.
      abcd-1
      Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
      You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

i want one too!!!!!!!!

Comment

I am also very interested. If you could e-mail me or info on order or obtaining directions. [email protected]

Comment

Can this psu power up my setup. Infact, if you where to rate your PSU against the arise ACE-865v what would you say
            Well, I don't know much about the Arice 865, but It looks like it has 1 more Amp on the 5 volt line, and a little more current on the negitive supplies. It is also an AT supply.

You could eaisly rig this supply up to not supply 3.3 volts and instead supply 5 volts at 10 amps (just like the sproggies). Also, you can bypass or not use half the atx stuff on this board. As far as size, this supply is 3.8 by 2.5 by 1.2 inches small. I'm not sure how big the 865 is however. If the Arise 865 is only 60 bucks, it is a pretty good deal, but if you need an ATX supply that is tiny, (which is why I built it) then this one does the trick. I would say that this supply is the ATX version of the 865. But the design is probably vastly different. I still need to characterize noise and heat and test it in a car, but I am really confident thus far.

Jeff_

Jeff_
            www.mpegbox.com

Comment

Jeff: Looks like you got a real business on your hands now! If you're going to make a few, I would be interested too.

Also, (I'm sure you've tested it on a car already but...) you mentioned that it takes input voltage of anywhere from 8-14VDC but don't most american and japanese cars operate at 14.4V while they're running? Or is that not enough to make a difference?
              95 Honda Civic DX Coupe - In Progress
              mp3civic site

Comment

Sign me up for the kit form please!
                Custom Linux system on an '89 VW GTI 16V Edition One
                Jogdial volume control, Sony joystick, IR remote...
                Used to be the fastest Linux on the road, until all these NOS types came along...

Comment

Originally posted by schrodos:
                  <STRONG>you mentioned that it takes input voltage of anywhere from 8-14VDC but don't most american and japanese cars operate at 14.4V while they're running? Or is that not enough to make a difference?</STRONG>

good quetion because my car idles at 13.98vdc and i'm sure it gets higher as you accelerate

Comment

Jeff have you done the in car test yet?

Fast car, fast PC. ;)

My TL CarPC ver2

Comment

My car, according to spec, runs at 14.5V - 14.8V with the alternator going.

So is it going to be safe, Jeff?
                      Player: Celeron II 633MHz, 256MB RAM, 20GB IBM 9mm 2.5" Laptop HD (180G/2ms), onboard ethernet/sound/video/tvout, 10"11"x3" case, MPBS1 70W DC-DC PS w/auto-shutdown controller, in-dash lighted switches, 7" NTSC TFT widescreen in-dash LCD, touchscreen, rear-window brake light installed Garmin GPS35 GPS, credit card sized IR remote w/IRMan, mini-wireless keyboard/mouse (sits under seat), PowerMate black knob, MP3s and GPS Navigation (Winamp, CoPilot, SA8.0).
                      Car: 1993 Nissan Maxima, Black Emerald

Comment

Originally posted by jshrieve:
                        <STRONG>My car, according to spec, runs at 14.5V - 14.8V with the alternator going.

So is it going to be safe, Jeff?</STRONG>
                        I'm working on it.. I am in the process of buying a house..

The only issue is that the DC-DC converter has to supply a voltage higher than the input. If You wanted you could rig it so that it takes up to an 18 volt input. The only problem is as you increase the voltage above 14 the regulator gets more inefficient. And if it is tying to "boost" to a voltage that is lower than the input, it generates a bunch of heat. There will be a workaround and it shouldn't be a problem.. you will just have to keep that in mind.

Jeff_
                        www.mpegbox.com

Comment

Well I just tested it again under light load, it seems to work just fine up to 17 volts. It will not put out rated current at that high of a voltage input with the inductors I used. If you buy a kit and wind your own inductors, you could build one that could take a 8-17 volt input.

Sorry this is taking so long. I just ordered a bunch more parts from digikey. I should have a pretty nice kit available soon.

Jeff_
                          www.mpegbox.com

Comment

Originally posted by moahdib:
                            <STRONG>Jeff have you done the in car test yet?</STRONG>
                            I have not. :-(

I will get to it soon, like I said, my car mp3 player was stolen so I have to start from scratch if I want to test it out fully, that is why I am hesitant to take orders just yet. I want to be damn sure "I" am happy with it before I share it with other people, if I make sure I cover all my bases, I won't have people breathing down my throat saying I over looked something.

Today I started building up another one,
                            I am taking pictures for the kit as I go, and building a comprehensive parts list.

Jeff
                            www.mpegbox.com

Comment

When you are turning on the car how low does the voltage drop to?? would the ATX DC-DC just die if it goes below 8V?

BTW: I REALLY want your PSU Jeff bc of it's size =) I don't think I can fit the 250W Keypower DC-DC inside my bookPC...hehe... please hook me up!

Fast car, fast PC. ;)

My TL CarPC ver2

Comment

Working...
                              X