• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commell 672 and PSU?

Hi!

I just bought a Commell 672 mobo:
    http://www.commell.com.tw/Product/SBC/LV-672.HTM

Will equip it with a [email protected] + 2 x 512MB DDR2 + 3.5" SATA HDD + 7,5" LCD (This is what need powering)

I bought a M1-ATX PSU for my CarPC but then realized that 90W won't be enough for my system...

Searching and reading the other threads around here I seem to understand that it's even better to not try it as can also burn right? (for the problems with the 12V rail)

So I was thinking to use the M1-ATX with a Carnetix P1900 (140W):
    - the M1-ATX would just power the mobo
    - 4 pin +12v of the P4 cpu (on the mobo) would be attached to the Carnetix
    - HDD and LCD attached to the Carnetix

Do you think it is reasonable? Would the M1-ATX resist without burning if used just to power the mobo?

Thank you guys for your help!
    2005 BMW X3
    • Motorized Lilliput 629GL-70P
    • 3Ghz Commell LV-672
    • 300G HD / 1G RAM
    • Griffin Powermate
    • Motorola MPX220 + Leather craddle

Boy, some research and planning would have saved you a major headache and asome bucks, too.

1) There's no need for a 3Ghz P4 in your car. It's only going to suck precious limited power. I'm not saying don't go that route, just that it's SEVERE overkill.
    2) You've learned that the M1-ATX is only 90w. I suggest you searcht he forums for a power calculator and get an estimate (none of them are particularly accurate) of the power draw for that system.
    3) The Carnetx P1900 is a POWER REGULATOR. All it does is provide a clean 12v signal to whatever device is behind it. That's not going to work for a motherboard, since a motherboard needs power from all three rails (3.3v, 5v and 12v).
    4) Your idea of running the Carnetix and M1-ATX in conjunction may or may not work. I don't know. There could be issues with remote power-on. It sounds like a sound theory, but it's ONLY theory. I don't think anyone has attempted what you want to do.
    5) I think you'd be better off lowering your CPU speed to a lesser P4 (2.4Ghz or so) and using a DSATX 220w or a Keypower 250w (both DC-DC power supplies). The Keypower doesn't have a built-in shutdown controller or any battery protection, so that's something to consider.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions!

I was thinking of using the m1-atx as a standard dc-dc psu (no delay configured) cascaded to the p1900 (with the delay configured).

m1-atx can power the rails for 12, 3.3 and 5v on the MB. On the other side the Carnetix has 12v out so can power directly the CPU on the MB connectors and other devices such the HDD.

But I guess as the m1-atx drain power from the p1900 that the total watts available to my system would be 140 rights? that would be not too much for the p4...
      2005 BMW X3
      • 3Ghz Commell LV-672
      • 300G HD / 1G RAM
      • Griffin Powermate

Comment

What about using the Pulse feature of the P1900? so both directly attached to the battery of the car.

M1-ATX used for timings of startup

J8 of M1-ATX (optional ON/OFF switch liek the one used to power up the mobo normally) connected to the Pulse pin (J2) of the P1900.

That WOULD work for the power up giving me a total of 90+140W. Now I have to think about shutdown but guess that would be quite similar:

- timing and shutdown process of the PC controlled by M1-ATX, once the delayed is reached the M1-ATX gives power off signal to the mobo and to the P1900 with Pulse feature.
        2005 BMW X3
        • 3Ghz Commell LV-672
        • 300G HD / 1G RAM
        • Griffin Powermate

Comment

dude, have you even looked at the carnetix P1900 specs? the main power output is 19V. The 12V rail you want to use is a secondary rail.

you need to do lots more reading.

Sell the m1-atx and the 3ghz P4 and get an opus 150W and a P4 2.4 or lower OR underclock the 3ghz.

Comment

Yes, I have the installation manual of both; I simply thought I could use the secondary output (+12v)... what's wrong with it?

I could return the M1-atx for an opus 150W... but do you think that it will be enough? I tried with some power simulator online but still not sure as I'll use the integrated vga... so:

- Commell 672 with agp vga integrated
            - 2 x ddr2 512MB ram
            - Cpu [email protected] (downclocked @ 2)
            - 1 HDD 3.5" SATA 300GB
            - 6 usb devices
            - 1 7.5" LCD Touchscreen

would be anyway something like 200W with the simulators I found with google
            2005 BMW X3
            • 3Ghz Commell LV-672
            • 300G HD / 1G RAM
            • Griffin Powermate

Comment

okok 15W max for the sec output

still trying to understand if 150W will be enough...
              2005 BMW X3
              • 3Ghz Commell LV-672
              • 300G HD / 1G RAM
              • Griffin Powermate

Comment

I found some power tests on the mobo manual:

with a [email protected] + 1 DDR2 RAM
                power required is 101W

with a [email protected] + 2 DDR2 RAM
                power required is 157W

so 6 usb devices would be 24W
                LCD screen would be 8W
                HDD 13W

I reached another crazy idea...

what about using the M1-1ATX for powering just the LCD and HDD and all the rest with the OPUS?
                2005 BMW X3
                • 3Ghz Commell LV-672
                • 300G HD / 1G RAM
                • Griffin Powermate

Comment

Working...
                X