The Best & Easiest Power System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Best & Easiest Power System

What is the best and easiest way to power a pc in your car? I hear you guys talking about building a dc-dc converter or shielding all sorts of stuff if you use an inverter.

I just want a simple setup, but I want the best sound and quality also.

What do you guys recommend?

And also, what is the best way to get sound from the computer to the speakers in my car? I don't want to use cassette adapter nor a FM modulator.

Well, the easiest (and most expensive) way is to buy a DC-DC converter from arise and plug it in.

Hook the 12V to your acc line, and plug the wires into your computer

The best way to get sound into your computer is to plug it into the aux in, if you have it. :/
    www.arbybean.com

Comment

Extension Cords.
      Lots and lots of extension cords...
      http://www.jeepmp3.com/
      CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
      Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

Originally posted by PatO:
        <STRONG>Extension Cords.
        Lots and lots of extension cords... </STRONG>
        LMAO !!!
        ~m
        PII 266, 512 MB RAM, 10 Gig, 36x CD-ROM, 16x DVD, DeLorme GPS, 5.6" LCD Screen, Dschmidt power controller, Keypower ATX DC-DC Supply, PowerAmp Macro controller, Dauphin mini-Kbd.
        Sony Head Unit, Sony Unilink input selector, rear deck Kenwood 6x9's, stock door spkrs... All in my '96 Civic, of course :}
        BC ROCKS!!!

Comment

If you don't have problems with noise, an inverter is the cheapest and easiest way.

However, a DC-DC is the best choice all around. It is more expensive, but nearly eliminates all the problems with noise and is just a better solution all around. It is only marginally more difficult than the inverter.
          Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
          Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
          "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

ok DC-DC thing for power...

but I don't have an AUX IN in my factory stereo, any other way for good quality sound?

Could just a new aftermarket amp do it? I don't want to replace the factory stereo system, and I don't really want to remove the factory amp either. But I will do what I have to in order to get quality sound I guess.

Comment

If you don't want to replace the factory radio, then you pretty much have 2 options. You could get an FM modulator or get a tape adapter (if your stock radio has tape). Neither one is all that great, but they'll work.

Although if your stock radio has changer controls you may be able to rig up an interface to feed in the signal from the computer into the radio that way. It could be very tough though.

Comment

If you have a pioneer deck with IP-BUS you can easily hack it and get AUX IN. Check my site and look under hardware.
                04 Acura TL w/ core2duo 2ghz laptop w/ 1gb RAM on a docking station.

Fast car, fast PC. ;)

http://www.arcdesigns.net/carpc/

My TL CarPC ver2

FSR Flash Skin w/ moving weather maps

Comment

Could just a new aftermarket amp do it? I don't want to replace the factory stereo system, and I don't really want to remove the factory amp either. But I will do what I have to in order to get quality sound I guess.
                  On my car I just pulled out the existing headunit and installed an aftermarket amp. The computer connects to the amp, which connects to the speakers.
                  Player: Celeron II 633MHz, 256MB RAM, 20GB IBM 9mm 2.5" Laptop HD (180G/2ms), onboard ethernet/sound/video/tvout, 10"11"x3" case, MPBS1 70W DC-DC PS w/auto-shutdown controller, in-dash lighted switches, 7" NTSC TFT widescreen in-dash LCD, touchscreen, rear-window brake light installed Garmin GPS35 GPS, credit card sized IR remote w/IRMan, mini-wireless keyboard/mouse (sits under seat), PowerMate black knob, MP3s and GPS Navigation (Winamp, CoPilot, SA8.0).
                  Car: 1993 Nissan Maxima, Black Emerald

Comment

Working...
                  X