Also Making a PSU

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Also Making a PSU

I too am making an ATX power supply and at the moment im going with the following specs:

Input:
    8 - 14 volts DC, non regulated

Outputs:
    12v @ 2.2 amps > 75% efficient @ 12 volts in
    3.3v @ 5 amps > 80% efficient @ 12 volts in
    5v @ 4.8 amps > 85% efficient @ 12 volts in
    -12 volts @ 0.1 amps
    -5 volts @ 0.1 amps

Power output approx = 67.9 Watts
    Power input = 81.48 Watts (80% efficiency at rated load.)

Typicial Full load Input Current = 6.79 Amps @ 12 volts.

Plus I would make it compatible with the ATX standard ie. all atx signals (power good, power standby, and power on)

If I had double sided plated boards built and the whole thing was about 3.8" by 2.5" by 2" with an aluminum heatsink/casing, would people be interested in buying one? How much would anyone pay?

I was also thinking of having the -5 voltage be an adjustable one so that if you didn't need the -5 and you needed say, -8 you could do it.

What do ya think?

Jeff_
    MPEGBOX - Plexiglass Computer
    www.mpegbox.com

I would definatly be interested in buying one, and i'm sure quite a few other people would be as well. An ATX PSU is the only piece of equipment I need to finish my carputer. I have been reluctant to build one myself since i'm not that confident with a soldering iron in my hand. Name your price and i'm sure I will be interested.

Comment

count me in. i am looking for a ps now
      99.9% complete.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/212327

Comment

yeh me too! as for price, well work out what its gunna cost u to produce, add some margin, and that will be the price
        http://www.mp3vl.tk Plans and progress on my install - (Updated 28 June 02)
        Australian mp3car Portal
        mp3car related links Check them out / Add some
        mp3car FAQ - RTFF

[########==]80% Assembling
        -=Current Progress: Working Sproggy supply, building box.=-

Comment

I'm working on it, I am going to order some boards pretty soon here. I'll let ya know when I get everything working!

Jeff_
          www.mpegbox.com

Comment

I am extremely interested in a power supply too! Please add me to any notifications you may be sending out. Thanks!!!

Gabbi
            [email protected]

Comment

if its affordable i am interested too !
              time for the sig:

'00 VW golf TDI upped to 130 HP - 18" RS 6 wheels - liliput 7" tft in indash housing - epia 10K - SB audigy - caliber 1 fahrad CAP - RF punch amp - hollywood 1.6K mono amp - boston acoustics pro - RF 10" DVD sub

Comment

Jeff, you know I'm interested. It's the only thing keeping me from going to Suspend To Ram.
                Player: Celeron II 633MHz, 256MB RAM, 20GB IBM 9mm 2.5" Laptop HD (180G/2ms), onboard ethernet/sound/video/tvout, 10"11"x3" case, MPBS1 70W DC-DC PS w/auto-shutdown controller, in-dash lighted switches, 7" NTSC TFT widescreen in-dash LCD, touchscreen, rear-window brake light installed Garmin GPS35 GPS, credit card sized IR remote w/IRMan, mini-wireless keyboard/mouse (sits under seat), PowerMate black knob, MP3s and GPS Navigation (Winamp, CoPilot, SA8.0).
                Car: 1993 Nissan Maxima, Black Emerald

Comment

I am doing this one: http://home.primus.com.au/bravo/Carp...bjcarputer.htm
                  Itīs a switching power supply, very efficient, it doesnīt need a transformer, only some inductors (easy to find or to make at home), itīs simple, and parts are not very hard to find, at least where i live.
                  Thanks to Bj, credits goes to him.

Greetings
                  mpt

Comment

Still working on my atx power supply, (even though my car player was stolen..) Here is the layout, I still have some changes to make.
                    My ATX supply layout

The supply is going to be 3.5 inches by 2.8 inches. (very small with lots of surface mount parts..)

It is going to have
                    +5 @ 5a
                    +12 @ 2a
                    +3.3 @ 5a
                    +5standby @ 0.25a 0r 1.5a (low power regulator or plain 7805 (350))
                    -12 @ 100mA
                    Adjustable -1.25 to -12 @ 100mA (default = -5)

Also has Power_good, and soft_on pins.

Jeff_
                    www.mpegbox.com

Comment

It looks like it is going to cost me 20 bucks for each of the printed circuit boards.

Right now it looks like parts costs are around 27 bucks. (in small quantities) I am ordering everything from digikey. This doesn't include the stuff I got as samples from National and Coilcraft. (I didn't use any MAXIM parts or transformers)

If I actually pay for everything the parts cost about 47 bucks.

So that would be 67 bucks just for parts.

Because the thing is so small, it will take a while to put one of these together, but the result will be a very nice 2.8 by 3.5 inch DC-DC Fully ATX Power supply.

If we say my time is worth minium wage, 6.50 an hour and it takes 3 hours to build one of these, that is going to be another 20 bucks.
                      Include shipping costs, that would be another 5-10 bucks. So 100 bucks for everything, (plus my gaurentee that it works.)

Chances are, when I get the first set of boards back, I will re-analyze what it will cost to build and go to some other vendors and check out quanity pricing, maybe I can aim to sell 20 of these. Or I can sell kits and have people solder and buy their own parts. Soldering surface mount isn't that hard if you have tweezers, a pentip soldering iron, and a wet sponge.

Because I did get a bunch of free samples, I could probably sell a couple of these complete boards for around 80.

How does this sound?
                      www.mpegbox.com

Comment

Hey Jeff
                        I'm interested in the kit for $75.
                        Email me at [email protected]
                        I can send you money through paypal.com today.

Comment

Sounds good Jeff. I'll email you.
                          Player: Celeron II 633MHz, 256MB RAM, 20GB IBM 9mm 2.5" Laptop HD (180G/2ms), onboard ethernet/sound/video/tvout, 10"11"x3" case, MPBS1 70W DC-DC PS w/auto-shutdown controller, in-dash lighted switches, 7" NTSC TFT widescreen in-dash LCD, touchscreen, rear-window brake light installed Garmin GPS35 GPS, credit card sized IR remote w/IRMan, mini-wireless keyboard/mouse (sits under seat), PowerMate black knob, MP3s and GPS Navigation (Winamp, CoPilot, SA8.0).
                          Car: 1993 Nissan Maxima, Black Emerald

Comment

Originally posted by accord:
                            <STRONG>Hey Jeff
                            I'm interested in the kit for $75.
                            Email me at [email protected]
                            I can send you money through paypal.com today.</STRONG>
                            Wait for me to get the first one working before you send me any money! :-)

It will be about a week or so before I can qualify the specifications.

Jeff_
                            www.mpegbox.com

Comment

Doh! I have just read the rest of this thread the day after my inverter got delivered!

I am going to set up the inverter in my car for now (since my box is practically done) and see if I can be bothered to switch it to a DC/DC system when you have all the information together.

Are you willing to ship overseas to the UK if the postage is paid?

Comment

Working...
                              X