To use the lighter adapter or not...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To use the lighter adapter or not...

I bought a 300w power inverter from circuit city to power my 250w power supply in my computer. The inverter comes with a cigarette lighter attachment... but the interesting thing is that my 2000 Jetta actually has a 12V power socket in the trunk. The bad news is that I checked the manual, and it said it could be used to power up to 120w. I was wondering if that was just for appliances or if a power inverter would be a special case. It just seems to me that either my 12v sockets are weak, or one could never use the lighter adapter for this inverter. Just another in the list of decisions I need to make. Thanks again in advance for your help.

Originally posted by allstarme:
    <STRONG>I bought a 300w power inverter from circuit city to power my 250w power supply in my computer. The inverter comes with a cigarette lighter attachment... but the interesting thing is that my 2000 Jetta actually has a 12V power socket in the trunk. The bad news is that I checked the manual, and it said it could be used to power up to 120w. I was wondering if that was just for appliances or if a power inverter would be a special case. It just seems to me that either my 12v sockets are weak, or one could never use the lighter adapter for this inverter. Just another in the list of decisions I need to make. Thanks again in advance for your help.</STRONG>

Chances are that your computer is not going to draw more than 50 watts unless you have a bunch of stuff in it. If you do draw more than 120 watts from that lighter outlet, you will just blow a 10 amp fuse or whatever that goes to it. You could try it, if you blow the fuse you might want to run some heavy gauge wire from the battery to the trunk, if you can.. It is usually not a good idea to use a larger fuse, because you run the risk of burning you car down.
    MPEGBOX - Plexiglass Computer
    www.mpegbox.com

Comment

Working...
    X