brand new dc-dc...big spark

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brand new dc-dc...big spark

hey, well i just got my dc-dc, and rigged it up to the car. Sadly, im a stupid idiot and i put the neg. in the pos. and the pos. in the neg. and SPARK! car fuse blown. After replacing the fuse in the car, now the DC-DC dosent work . have i killed it?
    Computer:

FV24
    custom plexi case
    p3 650

6.4 lcd

everything working...except stupid lcd isnt working with shuttle board

hmmm
    what power supply WAS it...
    it might be just a few blown components, or most of them..
    where did the spark come from??

Comment

hey muki
      It would be helpful to identify your problem if you could post a pitcure of the PSU component side .... also use a multi meter and check the supply for broken links ...

might help ..

Mastero

Comment

Might not..
        yeah, look for spark "grilled" bits..

Comment

u probably would have blown the fuse in the dc-dc...

i connected my amp up the wrong way once, had a big spark, a bit of smoke, but luckily all i damaged was the 2 30 amp fuses in the amp
          My Setup

Comment

unfortunally, reversing polarity is still number one cause of killing electronics.
            thank god that manufacturers know this and in most cases it wont kill your things totally.
            you most lightly killed somekind of protection in the circuit somewhere
            time for the sig:

'00 VW golf TDI upped to 130 HP - 18" RS 6 wheels - liliput 7" tft in indash housing - epia 10K - SB audigy - caliber 1 fahrad CAP - RF punch amp - hollywood 1.6K mono amp - boston acoustics pro - RF 10" DVD sub

Comment

you probably either blew a fuse or blew a diode.
              24 y/o w/ Silver/Red
              2000 Honda S2000

http://www.squeezer.net

Comment

it sparked right at where you put the neg. and pos. wires. Im going to use a voltometer to find out which wire is pos. and connected it directly to find out if its totally dead.
                Computer:

FV24
                custom plexi case
                p3 650

6.4 lcd

Comment

ok...i found the neg. the psu still doesnt work. I also found the fuse on the psu, its fine. The dc-dc is from ICP Electronics, model ACE-865V Dc input: 8v-16v===15a
                  dc output: +5v==6a
                  -12v==0.5a
                  +12v==2a
                  -5v==0.3a

thanks you guys, you have been a great help, any suggestions, or anything else that could be the cause of it....anyone want to buy a DC-DC psu...lol
                  Computer:

FV24
                  custom plexi case
                  p3 650

6.4 lcd

Comment

here is the link to the psu
                    http://icpelectronicsinc.com/ace-865v.htm
                    Computer:

FV24
                    custom plexi case
                    p3 650

6.4 lcd

Comment

how much are you selling it for?

Comment

The input of the Arise supply is protected via a fuse and diode if I remember correctly, so I doubt you killed it. Someone with electronics knowledge will be able to determine the problem in a few minutes, but a blown fuse is fairly obvious. If I remember correctly, the diode is reverse biased in normal operation, and there is a fuse in series with +. When things are connected backwords, the diode is forward biased and conducts large currents and thus the fuse blows....but I could be thinking of something else. Best to have someone check it...or post some really good close up pictures of the input half of the supply.
                        Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
                        Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
                        "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Did you do a voltage check on your car where your power supply plugs in to see if you only blew one fuse?

How did you check to see if the fuse in the PSU was good?

As the Diode is preventing reverse current, sometimes it gives its own life...like a fuse, have you checked the diode (I have seen on in a radio, don't know if it is the PSU)
                          current projects

Comment

sadly, im an idiot and have no idea what a diode is. The fuse is not blown though, there was some kind of black rubber over it, and i cut it off, and examined the fuse, which is fine.
                            Computer:

FV24
                            custom plexi case
                            p3 650

6.4 lcd

Comment

Are you sure that tyyhe power supply doesn't work??
                              it could have just been the fuse that blew in the car, and the spark you saw was because you were shorting out the car battery, and the fuse blew..
                              Either that, or, no, there is no or, there couldn't be anything wrong with the power supply, because the fuse would have blown too quickly for any real dammage to occur...
                              I first though that you might hae blown up a capacitor by connecting the voltage around the wrong way, but I think you would have known about it, I did this a few weeks ago, and it went off like a gun..

Comment

Working...
                              X