Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can you power a 12v auto notebook adapter with the primary 19v output of a p1900?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can you power a 12v auto notebook adapter with the primary 19v output of a p1900?

can you power a 12v auto notebook adapter with the primary 19v output of a p1900?

Originally posted by derbis

Sure, if you want to blow it.

Michael

P.S. It can be done, but it will require additional components, and aint really worth it when you can power the laptop from the cars 12 volt power source, the battery.
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

My original thought was "Not for very long..."
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by derbis

The other thing I thought of though, is that it is possible that your laptop actually needs 19 volts (I know the 2 I have do), and therefore you can power the laptop directly from the p1900, assuming that the p1900 can output enough AMPs for the laptop.

Michael
        ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

one of my problems, i think, is that i'm using a dell latitude d600. i've read that dell builds their power structure a little different, ie, i cannot simply cut some wires and go from the p1900 to the back of the notebook.

damnit. this was the only reason i purchased the p1900. how on earth do i get power to this thing? i've got a dell branded auto/air adapter but it looks like it needs more amps than i can give from the p1900 secondary output. here's the lable from the adapter:

dc power adapter
          input: 11-16vdc, 8a max
          output: 19.5v - 3.34a
          max output power: 65w

if i go back to my original plan of using the auto adapter directly to the battery, i'm back to the original problem of power drain in standby. any thoughts?
          (sorry bout the double post)

Comment

isn't the power connector to the dell just a barrell connector on this laptop? If so, you should probably be able to connect the p1900 to the laptop with a matching barrell connector from RS. Check it & check polarity.

If you're not comfortable doing this you can sell the p1900 and get a 12 notebook power supply like this.
            EPoX mATX SocketA w/onboard Geforce4MX / 512MB PC2700 / AthlonXP 1600
            Lilliput / DVDrom / Opus 150W / WD 3.5" 160GB / SB Audigy NX
            XP home / Road Runner / iGuidance 4.0

Comment

There is a very simply solution to this problem. All you will need is the Dell in-car power brick and a relay of reasonable size. Just wire the coil of the relay to your ignition-switched power source (tapping into the cigarette lighter plug typically works just fine) and wire the output switch of the relay in-line with the fat cable that goes to your battery. Save the P1900 to power any external devices like disks and USB hubs.

-g.

Comment

Doesn't dell power brick come with the cig adapter? And in most car, cig lighter socket is OFF when the key is out.
                2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Working...
                X