Keypower ATX DC-DC Suppy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keypower ATX DC-DC Suppy

Just curious to hear if anyone has had good luck with this supply? I'm strongly considering getting it...my choice would be completed if I heard some good stuff about it first

Steve
    Athlon 500, 128 MB, ATI Xpert 4MB AGP TV-Out, Sound Blaster Live! Value, 8.4 GB, 2x20 Backlit LCD, Keypower 250 Watt ATX DC-DC, DSchmitd Startup/Shutdown Controller, IRMan + Backlit IR Remote, Custom Keypad, 5.6" NTSC LCD, In-Dash Slot Loading DVD, all installed in an '87 Honda Accord LX-i

I've had one for a couple of months now and narry a problem yet. It's definitely expensive, but I'd call them and after asking them how much it is for a non-dealer to buy it, tell them that's a little steep in price and see if they can give you a lower price. I did just that and got it for a slightly lower price. I'm glad I got it instead of the convertor.
    P4 2.4GHz, Intel mobo w/onboard sound & video, 128MB memory, 100GB Seagate Momentus laptop drive, Xenarc 700TSV 7" touchscreen, IRman using Girder, 150W Opus dc/dc psu, Alpine CDA-9835 h/u, MBQuart speakers, Infinity 15" sub, MTX amps.

Comment

Had mine for a while and I love it. No more inverter noise and dropouts. Expensive, but worth every penny.
      JohnRam

Comment

Tony, if you don't mind me asking...just how much did they give you off? I heard they retail for something like $170?

Thanks.
        Athlon 500, 128 MB, ATI Xpert 4MB AGP TV-Out, Sound Blaster Live! Value, 8.4 GB, 2x20 Backlit LCD, Keypower 250 Watt ATX DC-DC, DSchmitd Startup/Shutdown Controller, IRMan + Backlit IR Remote, Custom Keypad, 5.6" NTSC LCD, In-Dash Slot Loading DVD, all installed in an '87 Honda Accord LX-i

Comment

johnram, Tony S: Where did you buy yours? Is there a URL to buy it from? All I need for my system is a power supply and this'n sounds like a good one.

Comment

is this thing $180 shipped or 180 + shipment??? and how much do they charge for shipment...
            I am REALLY thinking about getting one since it's a 250W I can add whatever I want later on if i need to.. and I will just put the darn thing outside the computer case and find myself a way to extend the ATX connector.
            04 Acura TL w/ core2duo 2ghz laptop w/ 1gb RAM on a docking station.

Fast car, fast PC. ;)

http://www.arcdesigns.net/carpc/

My TL CarPC ver2

FSR Flash Skin w/ moving weather maps

Comment

moahib: you should be able to take that psu apart and place it within the box
              abcd-1
              Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
              You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

Hmm from the looks of the PSU it looks pretty big inside as well. i don't thinK i can fit it in the MSI..... anyone ever open one of these thimgs up and can give me the dimmensions of the PCB and max height of the parts?=) hehe i doubt anyone would but doesn't hurt to ask....

If i can fit it inside I will definitelly get one.

Fast car, fast PC. ;)

My TL CarPC ver2

Comment

You might want to take a look at Jeff Mucha's thread <A HREF="http://www.mp3car.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=9&t=000103" TARGET=_blank>HERE - http://www.mp3car.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=9&t=000103[/url]

~m
                  PII 266, 512 MB RAM, 10 Gig, 36x CD-ROM, 16x DVD, DeLorme GPS, 5.6" LCD Screen, Dschmidt power controller, Keypower ATX DC-DC Supply, PowerAmp Macro controller, Dauphin mini-Kbd.
                  Sony Head Unit, Sony Unilink input selector, rear deck Kenwood 6x9's, stock door spkrs... All in my '96 Civic, of course :}
                  BC ROCKS!!!

Comment

Is there any sort of "noise" from the audio using a DC-DC at high volumes? I know inverters are hell... even with grounding the PSU and everything else there is still some noise at very high volumes that can't really be fixed...

Fast car, fast PC. ;)

My TL CarPC ver2

Comment

No there shouldn't be any noise from the DC/DC even at high levels. If there is noise present it's likely from something else.

Comment

I was thinking about getting an MSI also and i was a little worried about the PSU fitting inside, but, if you wanted, it's techncally posible to leave the PSU outside the box and just drill some holes or something. It's kind of ugly and jury-rigged, but if you absolutely NEED a way to do it, then that's a possibility. Maybe you could do some fancy wire-work and mount connectors to the outside of the case to plug the PSU into from there so that there aren't any gaping holes in the side, and also to keep the cords from straining the connectors on the mobo and H.D and misc parts. This is what I'm thinking about doing.

Also, I talked to Keypower recently (last week) and they quoted me $130.

Why the hell are they so expensive when you can buy a regular atx PSU for $40? Is it doing something special or is it just because these are a sepcialty item?

Comment

Yes, it is doing something special. Well...not special...just not something that you see everyday...therefore they can charge big bucks and get away with it It converts 12v DC Current from your car's alt/bat. to the proper voltages needed to drive a computer motherboard/devices, whereas a standard atx power supply converts AC current into the proper voltages (DC). I do not know a lot about electronics...

Are DC-DC supplies anymore complicated than a AC-DC? I always suspected that the higher price of DC-DC supplies was just due to the low demand for them.

Comment

I would be willing to bet that if millions and millions of AC input ATX supplies had not already sold, the price of one would be higher than the price of the DC ATX supplies we are seeing...

AC supply is basically a transformer and a rectifier (I think)

DC supply is capacitors & regulators (i think)

mike
                            1999 voyager pontoon boat
                            (soon to be computerized)

Comment

Most DC-DC power supplies are just AC power supplies that work at a lower voltage and have an extra step to convert the incoming DC power to AC. AC is usually easier to work with in a more efficient manner.

The price difference is most definitely a volume issue. If they sold more, it'd be cheaper. IF you'll notice, out of the DC-DC supplies, the 42-52V ones tend to be cheaper than the 12V ones. That's because the telecom industry makes heavy use of the 42-52V ones. But relative to the computer industry in general, the telecom industry is still small.
                              Player: Celeron II 633MHz, 256MB RAM, 20GB IBM 9mm 2.5" Laptop HD (180G/2ms), onboard ethernet/sound/video/tvout, 10"11"x3" case, MPBS1 70W DC-DC PS w/auto-shutdown controller, in-dash lighted switches, 7" NTSC TFT widescreen in-dash LCD, touchscreen, rear-window brake light installed Garmin GPS35 GPS, credit card sized IR remote w/IRMan, mini-wireless keyboard/mouse (sits under seat), PowerMate black knob, MP3s and GPS Navigation (Winamp, CoPilot, SA8.0).
                              Car: 1993 Nissan Maxima, Black Emerald

Comment

Working...
                              X