Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does the Opus do when remote goes low but OS not loaded?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does the Opus do when remote goes low but OS not loaded?

I don't see this in the manual and can't find this info through a search.

I'm pretty sure my hard drive was frozen and didn't start spinning up (this was a couple of days ago). When I turned my car off, the Opus didn't shut off.

Today, I was transferring some files over to the car pc. I rebooted the computer, forgetting that my laptop hdd (in an external enclosure) was connected. The problem with this enclosure is that it probably isn't getting enough power through the bus when the computer starts up, which leads to erratic behaviour. Usually, the device is "detected", but the drive is not available, if it is left connected when the computer boots up (otherwise you just connect it while the OS is loaded and it works great).

Anyways, when I was testing this behaviour on my laptop, I noticed that one time, during the boot process, Windows pretty much goes to a gray screen and halts, right before you'd be presented with the login screen. Today, the same thing happened with my car pc, but upon turning the car off, the Opus also did not shut off.

So what does the Opus do, in terms of shutdown control, when you aren't in your OS?

I waited and it didn't shut off in either situation. The Opus is definitely losing the remote line.

I thought that the Opus mimicked the case's power button. Why would my computer not shut off in these situations?

Also, is this similar to what the Opus would do if Windows decided not to shut down? Does the Opus wait a set amount of time and then do a hard shutoff?
    '03 Intensa Blue Pearl Lexus IS300

Specs: Xenarc 700TS, Opus 150W PSU, CarCPU Case, 2.0 GHz Celeron D, DFI PS-35-BL, SB Audigy2 NX, Centrafuse 1.4

Progress: Car PC up and running!
    To Do: Navigation, WiFi, AM/FM Radio, DVD

No ideas?

Specs: Xenarc 700TS, Opus 150W PSU, CarCPU Case, 2.0 GHz Celeron D, DFI PS-35-BL, SB Audigy2 NX, Centrafuse 1.4

Comment

It will wait for a while, and then do a hard-off.

Comment

Is there any chance that you know how long "a while" is though? Have you ever tested it?

Comment

Have you considered asking the fine folks at Opus Solutions?
          It's their product, after all...
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
            Have you considered asking the fine folks at Opus Solutions?
            It's their product, after all...
            Yup, I'm just waiting for a bit more input before shooting off the email. But it's on my to do list if this doesn't turn up the answer.

I'll definitely post the response here in this thread for future reference in case anyone else is searching for the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by azzurro
              Is there any chance that you know how long "a while" is though? Have you ever tested it?
              IIRC its the turnoff period after you take out your key.

Comment

Originally posted by rev2
                IIRC its the turnoff period after you take out your key.
                Mine is set at 10 seconds, but it most definitely didn't obey...

Comment

Mine is set at 10 seconds, but it most definitely didn't obey...
                  Damn.

Sorry I couldn't be more help

Comment

Originally posted by rev2
                    Damn.

Sorry I couldn't be more help
                    Thanks for trying though

If no one has any other input, I'll be contacting Opus.

Comment

I have noticed this problem before too, so I made the following setup to reset the Opus:

2007 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L SOHC-VTEC

Comment

Originally posted by binary.h4x
                        I have noticed this problem before too, so I made the following setup to reset the Opus:

So there definitely is an issue here. How often do you experience this? Under what circumstances?

I can't say that I'm a huge fan of having to use a relay to cut power

Although I do like how you used a momentary switch, so it actually does act like a reset button

Comment

So there definitely is an issue here. How often do you experience this? Under what circumstances?

I can't say that I'm a huge fan of having to use a relay to cut power
                          about every 20 resumes from hibernation it win2k likes to freeze up on me.
                          2007 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L SOHC-VTEC

Comment

Originally posted by binary.h4x
                            about every 20 resumes from hibernation it win2k likes to freeze up on me.
                            Sucks that the Opus isn't working as it should.

I'm going to email them tomorrow and see what they have to say about it.

Comment

Working...
                            X