How long will my battery last?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long will my battery last?

Okay, I am going to show my ignorance on my first post. I will admit that I know nothing about electric/batteries etc. That is why I cam here to ask my question. Okay here it goes.

I have purchased a water heater ( for a stock tank that I can’t get electric to) that is designed to work off either a 12 volt or 6 volt battery. The heater is 600 watts with a 12 volt battery or is 300 watts with a 6 volt battery. I have no idea how to maximize the battery life so I am not changing batteries daily. The advertisement said

Extending battery time - Batteries can also be banked together in PARALLEL (not series) to extend the time in between visits to remote stock tanks. You can also extend the running time by up to 4 times by using 6 volt "GOLF CART" batteries and running the heater on only 6 volts. On a 6 volt battery they will last 4 times longer in between charges BUT they will not run as HOT either which could work out nice for smaller or really remote tanks!

So, If I get a 6 volt golf cart battery, how long should I expect that it will stay heating? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by tmorgant1
    Okay, I am going to show my ignorance on my first post.
    DO NOT DOUBLE POST. Please delete one of your posts.

Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

How? I put it in the wrong place. Didn't mean to make you mad. First day and I'm already in trouble.

Comment

Okay, I am going to show my ignorance on my first post. I will admit that I know nothing about electric/batteries etc. That is why I cam here to ask my question. Okay here it goes.

I have purchased a water heater ( for a stock tank that I can’t get electric to) that is designed to work off either a 12 volt or 6 volt battery. The heater is 600 watts with a 12 volt battery or is 300 watts with a 6 volt battery. I have no idea how to maximize the battery life so I am not changing batteries daily. The advertisement said

Extending battery time - Batteries can also be banked together in PARALLEL (not series) to extend the time in between visits to remote stock tanks. You can also extend the running time by up to 4 times by using 6 volt "GOLF CART" batteries and running the heater on only 6 volts. On a 6 volt battery they will last 4 times longer in between charges BUT they will not run as HOT either which could work out nice for smaller or really remote tanks!

So, If I get a 6 volt golf cart battery, how long should I expect that it will stay heating? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You need to provide more information. It depends on the capacity of the batteries you use, how many, and how you wire them, in parallel or in series.
        Also, batteries will lose voltage as they "get low". Therefore, we would also need to know at what voltage the heater will cut out, and also, at what capacity in the battery the voltage will drop.

There is no answer based on the information you provided.

Michael
        ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

How? I put it in the wrong place. Didn't mean to make you mad. First day and I'm already in trouble.
          Not mad. Just go to the thread, and hit edit, and try and delete it. You might need to hit the "go advanced" button to delete the thread.

Michael

Comment

I want to use one battery at a time and change them out as they go dead. I guess that is part of my question, what size battery and once that is established how long will it last?

Comment

I want to use one battery at a time and change them out as they go dead. I guess that is part of my question, what size battery and once that is established how long will it last?

Like I said, it is impossible to know with out knowing a lot more information. I need to know the size of the battery, not physically but capacity wise, at what level the voltage will drop and to which point, and at what voltage your unit will stop operating. There are too many unknowns.

But, here is the thing

VoltageXamperage=wattage.
              Batteries are rated in amps, or milliamps, or whatever. With that rating, which is dependent on the battery, we can START to calculate an approximate length of time. But remember, we do not know at what voltage the heater will stop working, and we don't necessarily know at what level the votlage of the battery will drop. A 12 volt deep cycle battery (golf cart batteries are deep cycle, but not 12 volts) is rated at X amp hours until it the battery voltage drops below 10.5 volts. We need to know the same thing about your cart battery to determine your question with any sort of accuracy.

Michael

Comment

Too many unknowns to answer your question directly. The facts you were given about voltage, series, etc are accurate. Your best answer will come by trial and error. Hook it up and see if it gets warm enough and how long it takes to run down.
                ~Jimmy

Comment

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm

Best explanation on the web!
                  MikeH

Comment

to

Michael

Comment

Okay does this help

Trojan T125 6 volt battery

CApacity Minutes at 25 amp = 488
                      Capacity Minutes at 75 amp = 132
                      5 hour rate AH = 195
                      20 hour rate AH = 240

Heater 12 volt @ 600 watts, 6 volt @ 300 watts
                      (Ni-Chrome coils / High Wattage Density)

Comment

Okay does this help

Heater 12 volt @ 600 watts, 6 volt @ 300 watts
                        (Ni-Chrome coils / High Wattage Density)

Unless I'm missing something you will only get 150 W when powered by 6V.

V=I*R (R is the heating element, it is a constant)

so if V is halved, current will be half. Then

P=I*V , where V is half and I is also half the original. Therefore,

Power is one fourth of the original.

All of that aside, the battery voltage will decrease as it is depleted. That means the heater puts out less and less heat. The question of how long the battery will last is also determined by at what point is the heat output no longer adequate. Trial and error is the best way to determine that.
                        ~Jimmy

Comment

Working...
                        X