DSATX Power Supply on LV-673 MoBo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSATX Power Supply on LV-673 MoBo

I have an LV-673 motherboard, which does not have a standard ATX power supply input, but rather has a 4 pin 12V input, wihch matches the J8 connector on the DSATX supply.

If I plug this in, and the 20-pin connector (J7) on the DSATX is not plugged into anything, will the DSATX put the full output to that 12v rail instead of the one on the J7 connector?

Second, how will the shutdown controller signal the mobo to shutdown? Will a pulse on the 12v rail signal it to shutdown?

Finally, if I connect a power button from a standard case, where would I plug it into? The mobo, or the DSATX? If so, where on it?

LV-673's specs can be found here: http://www.commell.com.tw/Product/SBC/LV-673.HTM

DSATX power supply specs can be found here: http://mpegbox.net/dsatx.html

Thanks for any help.
    Dave
    2005 Infiniti G35 6MT Coupe Black/Black
    Core Duo CarPC
    CarDomain page

ok, I just realized you just throw a 2 wire jumper from the DSATX to the power button jumper on the mobo. Duh.

On the other hand, I am powering the powersupply with an ATX powersupply on the 12V rail, and the DSATX is getting 12V from the ATX 12V rail, but it is not seeming to put out 12V on any of it's lines, except the red led is light up steady, which means it should be working (according to the docs for the DSATX)

Any ideas?
    Dave
    Core Duo CarPC
    CarDomain page

Comment

Originally posted by Caelric
      ok, I just realized you just throw a 2 wire jumper from the DSATX to the power button jumper on the mobo. Duh.

On the other hand, I am powering the powersupply with an ATX powersupply on the 12V rail, and the DSATX is getting 12V from the ATX 12V rail, but it is not seeming to put out 12V on any of it's lines, except the red led is light up steady, which means it should be working (according to the docs for the DSATX)

Any ideas?
      Dave
      You need to simulate the motherboard turning on the power supply by shorting the green wire on the 20 pin cable to a black pin. Then it will turn on the supply.
      MPEGBOX - Plexiglass Computer
      www.mpegbox.com

Comment

Yep, got that wired already, which is why the ATX power supply is actually powering up the DSATX. But the DSATX is not putting out power to the actual motherboard...

Dave
        Core Duo CarPC
        CarDomain page

Comment

Yep, got that wired already, which is why the ATX power supply is actually powering up the DSATX. But the DSATX is not putting out power to the actual motherboard...

Dave
          You did the green wire thing on both the DSATX and the power supply powering it?
          www.mpegbox.com

Comment

No, just on the ATX powering it; the DSATX is only hooked to the mobo via the 4 pin 12V cable, because thats all the power input the mobo has. It does not have a 20 pin atx connector on the mobo.

Dave
            Core Duo CarPC
            CarDomain page

Comment

Hmm, tried shorting those pins; apparently it needs those pins shorted to put out power, even though that connector is not connected to the mobo. Wonder if there is any other way to do this.

Second problem: I can turn on the computer by connecting a power button to it, but I can't get the DSATX to output a turn on signal even if it is connected the same exact way the power button is connected.....any ideas?

Dave
              Core Duo CarPC
              CarDomain page

Comment

Hmm, tried shorting those pins; apparently it needs those pins shorted to put out power, even though that connector is not connected to the mobo. Wonder if there is any other way to do this.

Second problem: I can turn on the computer by connecting a power button to it, but I can't get the DSATX to output a turn on signal even if it is connected the same exact way the power button is connected.....any ideas?

Dave
                Have you tried the polarity?

What are the power pins called in the manual? Are they PWR and GRND or PWR and 5VSB?
                www.mpegbox.com

Comment

PWR and 5VSB

Tried switching the polarity as well, on both the DSATX and the mobo (obviously, it's the same thing, but tried, just in case)

Like I said, I can hook up a powerbutton, and turn it on/off from there, but not with the cable from the DSATX.

And yes, my wife is upset that I am working on my carPC rather than celebrating New Year's...

Dave
                  Core Duo CarPC
                  CarDomain page

Comment

Ok, I think I see what the problem is. I have the PS_On sense pin in the 20 pin connector shorted to ground on the DSATX itself, so the DSATX thinks that the computer is on, even when it is not. So, this might make it not send the on pulse?

If so, what should I short it to other than ground? Ground on the mobo?

Or something else?

Or am I totally off base?

Dave
                    Core Duo CarPC
                    CarDomain page

Comment

Ok, I think I see what the problem is. I have the PS_On sense pin in the 20 pin connector shorted to ground on the DSATX itself, so the DSATX thinks that the computer is on, even when it is not. So, this might make it not send the on pulse?

Dave
                      Yes, the DSATX needs to know that it is on. It sounds like you'd be better off with a DSX12VD rather than the DSATX. Either way your motherboard requires a special inversion on the power switch. They were designed for most motherboards that use PWR and Gnd rather than PWR and 5VSB. You can use a relay or make this little circuit. Or I can make one for you..
                      www.mpegbox.com

Comment

Originally posted by zootjeff
                        Yes, the DSATX needs to know that it is on. It sounds like you'd be better off with a DSX12VD rather than the DSATX. Either way your motherboard requires a special inversion on the power switch. They were designed for most motherboards that use PWR and Gnd rather than PWR and 5VSB. You can use a relay or make this little circuit. Or I can make one for you..

No, I need the DSATX because the power draw I have is about 160 watts, and the DS12VD only lists at 120 watts. Or at least that what it looks like.

This mobo is a PITA, but it is the only mini-ITX that supports P-M on a 533 mhz FSB, PCI-X, SATA, and dual channel memory.

Any other way to sense the mobo is on besides on the 20 pin ATX plug?

And yes, I would love it if you could make that circuit for me, and get it to me before next weekend...what kind of cost are we looking at. plus mailng it to Hawaii?

Dave
                        Core Duo CarPC
                        CarDomain page

Comment

Some thoughts: maybe a jumper from the power LED which has VCC, N/C and GND? The green wire on the 20 pin ATX (which is pin 14, I think) wants to see GND when the board is on, and no connection when the board is off, right?

So, if that is true, then either find a GND on the board which is actually only GND when the board is on, or make a relay switched connection to GND, which is switched on when the board is on?

The is a standard 4 pin header on the board for powering HD's and such, which could be used. Not sure if the GND on it is always GND (probably) or only when the board is on, but I know the 5V and 12V on it are only on when the board is on....need to get my multimeter and check it. I'm trying to imagine the circuit I would need if GND is constant, but the 5V/12V are switched. This could be used as a mobo ON sensor for the 20 pin ATX.

Dave
                          Core Duo CarPC
                          CarDomain page

Comment

Ok, that idea did not work. Since the DSATX has no idea that the mobo is on in the first place (without jumping pins 13/14 on the 20 pin header), then it won't send any power on JP8 which is the only power input the mobo has. So, if there is no power on JP8, no way for the mobo to turn on and send a signal to the DSATX that it is on.

So, how in the hell do I tell the DSATX to start sending power on JP8 to the mobo, and then the mobo letting the DSATX know it is on or not?

Dave
                            Core Duo CarPC
                            CarDomain page

Comment

Commell Mobo

Dave,

I have the commell lv-672 and had the same issue just before christmas. Jeff gave me the same drawing you have and I used the transistor schematic. It works great now. Follow his directions and you should be fine. You can build your own circuit. I etched a small pcb and used velcro to hold it to the bottom of the case. I used this method to etch the pcb http://www.fullnet.com/u/tomg/gooteepc.htm and I used ExpressPCB http://www.expresspcb.com/ to draw the circuit. Took me about 2 hours to build because I had all the components.

Hank
                              2005 Titan SE - TiPuter
                              Commell LV-677 CoreDuo
                              200G HD / 1G RAM
                              Lilliput 629GL-70P
                              Phoco/XMD1000/WinTv/
                              BU-353 GPS/WiFi/Bluetooth
                              DSATX

Comment

Working...
                              X