No announcement yet.

need help on power

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help on power

Hi I need to take my car's power (12 volts DC) and get 18 volts DC at 3 amps. This isn't my field. Is there a circuit to do this and what and how would I need to make it. TIA

my $0.02 cents (value is based on the intelligence of the person reading this message)

well, you would do it with quite a bit of dificulty....

Skinnyboy, thats very nice to know but doesn't help me at all. I don't care if its hard or simple hell I know it can be done I see car adapters for laptops all the time and every laptop I have seem uses more than 12 volts of power.

my $0.02 cents (value is based on the intelligence of the person reading this message)

A simple inverter circuit connected to a custom transformer will do it just fine. You can wind a 2:1 transformer, and make an oscillator to feed the input. See for an example of an inverter. The transformer can be rewould for an 18V output, and then rectified. Note that this circuit is very inefficient. A better idea would be a higher frequency oscillator and transformer.
        Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
        Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
        "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Nationals webbench page..

In put the values that you need and it should beable to spit out a circuit at you. This should be an ok solution as long as you dont need heaps of current.
          [SIZE=1]'91 Nissan Stanza

[XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX] XX% Completed -
          Car Totaled and i bought a 20G mp3 player

a DIY video projector page