Help me pick a power inverter...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me pick a power inverter...

Very new to this - but I have been getting my computer ready for the car...and reading ALOT of post using the search...

Now, I need someone to point me to a good (cheap?) power inverter...

Here's what I will be running:
    - Standard computer PII/350
    - 5" LCD (should I hook this up to the inverter or to the car?)

Thanks for the help!

-Mike
    "As God as my witness...I thought turkey's could fly"

you should be okay with a 150w inverter.

If only playing mp3's the computer wouldn't need so much power (like the 250w maximum of a power supply).
    Search around this board and you'll see that most systems use about 35-60w when they're running, and like 60-100w when they are starting the computer.

one thing you could look for is the minimum input voltage. like a min. input of 9v suits better than a min. input of 11v.
    Because when you start the car you will get a voltage drop, and if you are unlucky the inverter will cut-out and then start again which means you are restarting your computer when you're starting the engine..
    An inverter with a lower min. input will keep the computer going, even during start, But this also depends on the condition of the battery of your car.

Hope this helps you out.
    Greetz

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: Raas ]
    Raas - The Netherlands
    ME: VIA epia m10000, lilliput 7', opus 150w, 80gb<br>
    GF: IBM Thinkpad 380, ext. 3.5 80gb, 40x4, PB-IR

Comment

I forgot to point out that I would like to also play DVD's in the future - but that is about it...

Any ideas about which brand / model would be good? If you like, you can point me to eBay - since I will prob buy from there...

Also, I have seen alot of inverters that plug into the cig. lighter...are thses acceptable? or stay away?

Thanks again!
      "As God as my witness...I thought turkey's could fly"

Comment

Originally posted by J. Michael Henry:
        <STRONG>Also, I have seen alot of inverters that plug into the cig. lighter...are thses acceptable? or stay away?

Thanks again!</STRONG>
        doesnt matter, I think most you will find DO plug into the cig lighter. First thing to do is aviod running the inverter to the cig lighter socket, instead running the inverter directly to the cars battery with some thicker wire....
        Project - GAME OVER :(

Comment

Working...
        X