Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATX auto startup circuit

Hi,

A number of people have asked for some way to have their carputer startup when they start their car. The usual answer is to switch on 'AC Power Recovery' in the BIOS or run a button to the front of the car.

I didn't want to do either since I don't have the appropriate BIOS option and a button is ugly. So one of my friends designed this very simple circuit.

It relies on the fact that you'll have a 5v standby pin from your power supply and that this is available when you turn on the ignition. My sproggy-based power supply from Mastero had one.

In practise, about a second after I turn on the ignition, the computer starts up. Very cool. This also works in conjunction with moahdib/Jeff Mucha's shutdown controller, so my carputer starts up and shutdown cleanly with the car's ignition.

Circuit follows, can be built for about a dollar :-)

Spud.
    VIA C3 800Mhz, 192Mb RAM, 10Gb 2.5" HDD, built-in video & audio, 7" Redant widescreen LCD, Win98Lite, Girder, GPS & street maps of Sydney & Melbourne.
    Spud's Carputer 3PM

So let me understand it correctly,

I connect the ground on the BC548 to the ground wire on the ATX power supply or the car chassis?

How many volts should the capacitor be?

Can I get a BC548 at radio shack?
    24 y/o w/ Silver/Red
    2000 Honda S2000

http://www.squeezer.net

Comment

I connect the ground on the BC548 to the ground wire on the ATX power supply or the car chassis?

How many volts should the capacitor be?

Can I get a BC548 at radio shack?
      Yes, ground the transistor to your powersupply. I put the circuit in the same case as the powersupply, so that was easy.

Capacitor should be 16 or 35 volts, doesn't really matter, it only ever sees 5v.

I would imagine you could get a BC548 anywhere, they're very common. Failing that, get any small signal NPN transistor.

Spud.
      VIA C3 800Mhz, 192Mb RAM, 10Gb 2.5" HDD, built-in video & audio, 7" Redant widescreen LCD, Win98Lite, Girder, GPS & street maps of Sydney & Melbourne.
      Spud's Carputer 3PM

Comment

My computer boots up when I turn on my car, but it usually trips my inverter. So if I put your circuit into my power supply, will it cause a delay between when the car is started and the computer is turned on, even though my computer comes on when the inverter turns on.

What I am asking is:

I leave my inverter on so that when I start the car the inverter automatically comes on. Will you circuit give a slight delay between the time the inverter receives power from the car and when the computer starts, or am I missing something? Do I need to do anything to my settings in the bios even tho my computer turns on when I start the car?
        24 y/o w/ Silver/Red
        2000 Honda S2000

Comment

Originally posted by Squeezer
          My computer boots up when I turn on my car, but it usually trips my inverter. So if I put your circuit into my power supply, will it cause a delay between when the car is started and the computer is turned on, even though my computer comes on when the inverter turns on.

What I am asking is:

I leave my inverter on so that when I start the car the inverter automatically comes on. Will you circuit give a slight delay between the time the inverter receives power from the car and when the computer starts, or am I missing something? Do I need to do anything to my settings in the bios even tho my computer turns on when I start the car?
          The circuit will have a delay of a second or two. I'm not sure what you mean by "trips the inverter" but I assume you need a small delay from when the inverter starts up and when the computer starts up. The circuit should work ok, either way it's only about $1 to build to find out

BTW, the circuit isn't my design so don't blame me

Spud.
          Spud's Carputer 3PM

Comment

Thanks Spud! I'm going to be on vacation for a few days but I'm going to build this circuit when I get back. I'll let you know how it goes.
            24 y/o w/ Silver/Red
            2000 Honda S2000

Comment

If I wanted to make the delay longer like 3 or 5 seconds what would be the new values of the resistors that I would need?
              24 y/o w/ Silver/Red
              2000 Honda S2000

Comment

Originally posted by Squeezer
                If I wanted to make the delay longer like 3 or 5 seconds what would be the new values of the resistors that I would need?
                That's all to do with the RC timing constant, I can't remember it from my Uni days

Doubling either the capacitor value or the resistor value will double the time required to charge though.

Maybe you should try a 470uF cap and see how you go.

Cheers, Spud.
                Spud's Carputer 3PM

Comment

Is anyone able to repost this circuit? I need it now and it's gone.

Originally posted by spud
                  Hi,

A number of people have asked for some way to have their carputer startup when they start their car. The usual answer is to switch on 'AC Power Recovery' in the BIOS or run a button to the front of the car.

I didn't want to do either since I don't have the appropriate BIOS option and a button is ugly. So one of my friends designed this very simple circuit.

It relies on the fact that you'll have a 5v standby pin from your power supply and that this is available when you turn on the ignition. My sproggy-based power supply from Mastero had one.

In practise, about a second after I turn on the ignition, the computer starts up. Very cool. This also works in conjunction with moahdib/Jeff Mucha's shutdown controller, so my carputer starts up and shutdown cleanly with the car's ignition.

Circuit follows, can be built for about a dollar :-)

Spud.

Comment

is it only me having problem with jeff mucha shutdown controller?
                    mine does not start the computer nor shutdown autumatically...
                    manual says it sends a signal to mobo after ignition goes low...
                    does it mean when i crank to start the engene?
                    still nothing happens even i wait a long time...
                    please soneone help me...
                    thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by iPal
                      is it only me having problem with jeff mucha shutdown controller?
                      mine does not start the computer nor shutdown autumatically...
                      manual says it sends a signal to mobo after ignition goes low...
                      does it mean when i crank to start the engene?
                      still nothing happens even i wait a long time...
                      please soneone help me...
                      thanks...

It sounds like you have it hooked up wrong. You are supposed to hook the "AUX" line on the unit to your car's "accessory" circuit, which is only hot when the key is on. When this line goes dead, the unit will power down your computer (after an adjustable time delay.)

The shutdown controller does nothing to start your computer, it relies on your motherboard's ability to power itself up when juice is applied. My motherboard (epia5000) does not do this when it has been shutdown properly or hibernated, only when it is shutdown improperly. If I wanted to shutdown my computer in such a manner, I would have no use for the shutdown controller, a simple relay would do the trick. So I've had to make my own startup controller to supplement it (by the way I've no need for the schematic I requested to revive this dead thread, I've figured it out on my own )

Comment

I can not veiw the picks. What am I doing wrong? Also there is another way to shut down your computer safley and turn it on when you get in the car. As far as shutting down get a small ups that has the system shutdown software feature and plug it into an inverter that is powered off your starter. That way when you turn off the engine the ups would kick in and the shut down your computer saftly. As far as boot up there is 5v and I beleave 3.3v stand by power on the computer when the power supply is on. Get a wireless door bell chime that is powerd from either 2 or 3 AA AAA C D. I prefere AAA or AA simply because this unit would be smaller. You have to make shure that the unit has a ding selection because if when the button is pushed and ding, dong is heard it would actully turn on then off the PC because it would be sending two pulses. You only want one. So you would power the door bell by the standby power and then wire it to a small 5v relay. A relay is basically a switch that opens or closes when voltage is applied to it. So the relay would get it's power from the speaker terminal and then wired in parallel to the on button in the PC. So when you push the button on the wirless dorm bell it will power the relay closeing the circuit and power on the PC. It would be just like pushing the on button wirelessly. These wirless door bell systems work off RF up to 150' so you could power it from a long rang without aiming it at the PC.
                        Opus case. MB 899 core duo 2.0ghz
                        Dual vga out, 400 gb hard drive, Centrefuse front end
                        zapco 1000.4 for zapco 6.5 componets
                        zapco 1100.1 for 2 13" W6.

Comment

The pics are gone, that was my point in reviving a year dead thread.

A UPS solution adds unnecessary complexity and redundancy. You are basically adding another (expensive) battery to a system that already has a huge battery (car battery) just so you can use the shutdown circuit that this new battery (UPS) comes with. Why not just add the shutdown circuit alone and use what you already have as far as batteries? That is what we are talking about.

As far as the remote startup, I'd rather just have my system come on when I start the car. It takes less than 30 seconds to boot anyway. And some guy ringing his doorbell across the street won't accidentally start my system and drain my battery.

Originally posted by inniss777
                          I can not veiw the picks. What am I doing wrong? Also there is another way to shut down your computer safley and turn it on when you get in the car. As far as shutting down get a small ups that has the system shutdown software feature and plug it into an inverter that is powered off your starter. That way when you turn off the engine the ups would kick in and the shut down your computer saftly. As far as boot up there is 5v and I beleave 3.3v stand by power on the computer when the power supply is on. Get a wireless door bell chime that is powerd from either 2 or 3 AA AAA C D. I prefere AAA or AA simply because this unit would be smaller. You have to make shure that the unit has a ding selection because if when the button is pushed and ding, dong is heard it would actully turn on then off the PC because it would be sending two pulses. You only want one. So you would power the door bell by the standby power and then wire it to a small 5v relay. A relay is basically a switch that opens or closes when voltage is applied to it. So the relay would get it's power from the speaker terminal and then wired in parallel to the on button in the PC. So when you push the button on the wirless dorm bell it will power the relay closeing the circuit and power on the PC. It would be just like pushing the on button wirelessly. These wirless door bell systems work off RF up to 150' so you could power it from a long rang without aiming it at the PC.

Comment

If you are using a dc to ac inverter it should only have power when the engine is running unless you are connecting the inverter straight to your battery then you are running the chance of draining your battery when the engine is off. Also I was refering to a small $30 ups unit or cheaper. It was just a suggestion. As for as the door bell you can select a custom freqency by changing the jumpers if for some reason your neighbor has the exact same unit.
                            Opus case. MB 899 core duo 2.0ghz
                            Dual vga out, 400 gb hard drive, Centrefuse front end
                            zapco 1000.4 for zapco 6.5 componets
                            zapco 1100.1 for 2 13" W6.

Comment

why didn't you just connect the green wire on your ATX power connector to any one of the black ground wires. it will come on when ignition is turned on. When you turn on the resume power option in the bios, thats all the bios does, is turn on a transistor that does that internally.
                              24 y/o w/ Silver/Red
                              2000 Honda S2000

Comment

Working...
                              X