HP E-PC Power

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP E-PC Power

I do not understand what the big deal is over powering the HP E-PC.
    The specs on my AC power supply read:
    INPUT - 120-240V ~ 1.8A 50/60 Hz
    OUTPUT - 19V =-=-= 3.16A

The specs on the notebook power supply I just bought reads:

INPUT - 10-15V =-=-= 6.5A
    OUTPUT - 19V =-=-= 3.16A

Should work just fine. I have 3 of these E-PCs, each with 10gig HD, 128mb RAM

One will be for sale by the way very soon.
    Attached Files

clarification on the powering the e-PC

The question really is how do you power a HP e-PC without using the brick. Because the e-PC only uses a direct plug/brick and not a 20-pin plug that goes to a power supply like other PC's or VIA mini-ATX boards.
    How will you plug a M1-ATX or M2-ATX to the HP e-PC if it doesnt have a plug for a 20-pin ATX plug? that is the question...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ejcpv
      The question really is how do you power a HP e-PC without using the brick. Because the e-PC only uses a direct plug/brick and not a 20-pin plug that goes to a power supply like other PC's or VIA mini-ATX boards.
      How will you plug a M1-ATX or M2-ATX to the HP e-PC if it doesnt have a plug for a 20-pin ATX plug? that is the question...!!!
      first off, this thread is a few months old. Second, I don't see what the problem is. he has a new brick that plugs into the cigarette lighter and powers the computer. the computer clearly has a power supply built in that directly accepts power from this brick, via a simple barrel connector, and provides power to everything internally. There is no need for an ATX power supply in that situation.
      But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
      Originally posted by Viscouse
      I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
      eegeek.net

Comment

Originally posted by ejcpv
        Exactly,

Thats what make it easier because the e-pc uses a AC adaptor/brick/PSU similiar to laptops.

The AC adaptor outputs 19V @ 3.16A max. All thats needed is a car-laptop adaptor thats rated at 19V @ 3.16A or more.

I dont understand where that M1-ATX or M2-ATX comes in because the MB will just take 19V directly and it will work, infact its perfect for a car PC because they are cheap and easy to power.

If you look at the second picture, that PSU + SDC and your car PC is virtually complete.

Those car-laptop adaptor input voltage is normally from 10V, this is not low enough to survive a crank reliably. I havent seen any of those adaptor that will accept from 8V-16V.

Comment

The CarNetix P1900 should work well for this application. It survives engine cranking and has a startup/shutdwon controller. It also has a secondary output if you need to power your screen or USB hub.
          http://www.carnetix.com/CNXP1900.htm
          MikeH

Comment

Just a heads up:

The P4 versions of the HP E-PC have a large requirement off the 12V line to power the P4 CPU. The P1900 CAN NOT supply enough power on the 12V rail by itself.

If you have any other version of the E-PC, you'll be OK.

EDIT: The power brick from the P4 versions say output of 4500mA at 12V

Comment

Originally posted by Lurieh View Post
              Just a heads up:

The P4 versions of the HP E-PC have a large requirement off the 12V line to power the P4 CPU. The P1900 CAN NOT supply enough power on the 12V rail by itself.

If you have any other version of the E-PC, you'll be OK.

EDIT: The power brick from the P4 versions say output of 4500mA at 12V
              Can this be confirmed?? I've been searching, but this is the only post that says an E-PC 42 won't work with a carnetix 1900
              Hardware: [-------- ]30%
              Software: [----- ]20%
              Install:[------- ]70%
              2005 Subaru WRX - New 1.83 GHz Mac Mini - OSX/parallels is my front end - K301 InDash monitor

Comment

Originally posted by OUSilver05 View Post
                Can this be confirmed?? I've been searching, but this is the only post that says an E-PC 42 won't work with a carnetix 1900
                <most of this is from a different post>

Ok, my setup has the E-PC/40 PSU feeding the PC via a cheap terminal strip.
                I did this to figure out how much current each of the supplies was providing.
                I made these measurements, and also looked at the power good signal.

I found the following, peak load conditions;

19v supply 1.3 Amps
                12v supply 4.2 Amps * not compatible with carnetix 1900 spec *

FYI's
                I also have a E-PC/42 which I rejected as an upgrade since it draws too much power and adds no functionality.

I've used a carnetix 1290 along with a laptop 19v psu but went back to the inverter/brick because I like it's audible low batt alarm, and the ease of plugging in the ac brick.

Comment

Originally posted by ejcpv View Post
                  I am a bit confused, can we power the e-pc 42 with M2 ATX, yes or no??? I have similar issue but in my case I bought the M2 ATX PSU ..and I am still wondering if this can power up my e-pc or not

Comment

ey,

I was, also, wondering if it's possible to use ONLY the 12v rail from a M2-ATX, or any picoPSU...?

thx,
                    Hans

Comment

Originally posted by happyguy View Post
                      I am a bit confused, can we power the e-pc 42 with M2 ATX, yes or no??? I have similar issue but in my case I bought the M2 ATX PSU ..and I am still wondering if this can power up my e-pc or not
                      Sorry the M2 ATX is not a good choice for the EPC-42. I used to have one of these but I had to use a Power Inverter to plug in the power brick. It worked well, but have since upgraded.
                      New Age Garmin - Skin for RR
                      New Age Slider - RR SKin In Progress
                      "It's called CODE because I don't want you to know"

Comment

Working...
                      X