External battery ruined laptop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External battery ruined laptop

I hooked up an external battery to my laptop and it ran fine for about 30min. The laptop then just turned off and now wouldnt do anything. I hooked it back up to a regular charger and the activity light for charging doesnt even blink. How the hell did this happen, what got ruined?

Originally posted by flaVius
    I hooked up an external battery to my laptop and it ran fine for about 30min. The laptop then just turned off and now wouldnt do anything. I hooked it back up to a regular charger and the activity light for charging doesnt even blink. How the hell did this happen, what got ruined?
    Mayb enothing. Try removing the battery. Then hold the power button for about 30 seconds. Try reinserting the battery, and try to power the computer on.

If not, submit for warranty work, or *** raping, depends on the situation.

Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Still nothing. No warranty so the situation is bleek, i dont want to get screwed . I dont understand, wtf happened to my laptop?

Comment

what type of external battery? how did you hook it up, and what is the input voltage on your laptop?
        95 Mazda Protege LX
        Worklog
        Overall [Project Dead] 0%

2003 Nissan Altima
        [XXXXXXXX--] 80% Planning
        [XX--------] 20% FABRICATION/INSTALLATION

Worklog

Comment

when you removed the battery to re-set the laptop did you remove the charger at the same time? you need to remove all sources of power.
          Visit my site V8 Scimitar

SP13000, 300GB SATA HD, 1GB DDR. Opus 150, K301 screen, Cisco WIFI, AQmax GPS, RoadRunner and FreeDrive, Sony MEX-R5 head unit. 4 years installed and it just keeps running!

Comment

19.5V input, its a masterpower battery

Comment

yea i removed the battery and the charger

Comment

.....you just ran an unregulated battery to your laptop? does your laptop input have a wide range of acceptable voltages?
                PC Components:
                Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
                My work log

Comment

that was stupid.

Comment

Wow. Unregulated battery to laptop and he's surprised when it frys?

More details of how you hooked up what if you want details on what happened.

-arebelspy
                    See my trades here! My For Sale/Trade Thread. Email joe at eipse.com
                    Originally posted by xdjxklusivex
                    i think every thread is now a whoreing thread

Comment

laptop power bricks are switching power supplies that output a well-regulated voltage to the laptop, so the laptop doesn't need to perform a lot of regulation internally (which saves space and heat inside the laptop)... therefore all the laptop's internal circuitry would almost certainly be designed for the intended regulated voltage only, and therefore it's not at all surprising that hooking up a battery to it would wreak havoc with the internal power circuitry... after all, as a battery goes from full charge to mostly discharged, it can easily vary by a volt or more, and if you allowed it to discharge too much, it could easily plummet several volts.
                      But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
                      Originally posted by Viscouse
                      I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
                      eegeek.net

Comment

Gimme a ******* break you act like i took a car battery and wired it to my laptop. The exteranl battery came with the charger and it comes with separate tips for universal applications. The mass produciton of it means obviously millions of people are using it you stupid pricks. I cant find anything on the net of this happening to some1 else. I hate condescending ****s, omg i bought a product and used it for its intended purpose, im such an idiot

Comment

You don't have to flip out. Nothing you said gave any indication that this was an external battery power system with a regulated output, all you said was an external battery. Personally I haven't ever heard of an external battery power system for a laptop like the one you are talking about, (and I'm sure many others haven't either) so we can't assume much other than that you had done just what you said, hooked up a battery to your laptop.

Now that you've clarified that your problem is that you used one commercial product (in the manner it was intended) to power another commercial product, there's not much advice we can give you other than the obvious: call tech support at both manufacturers... if you provided some more information about the battery power system maybe people could give you some ideas for testing it for obvious problems, but as with most mass-produced black-box devices like that you probably won't get very far unless it's just flat-out, obviously broken (like providing entirely the wrong output voltage) and from the sounds of it, it's probably already caused damage beyond hope of DIY repair.
                          But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
                          Originally posted by Viscouse
                          I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
                          eegeek.net

Comment

Sorry, i wasnt reffering to you, your response had purpose. Im talking about when some1 calls me stupid. I reallyjust want to figure out what got fried and if its fixable.

Comment

can you take pictures of what you used and the hookup of the connections to post?
                              Current projects: iGmod reloaded (Latest release) (put on hiatus indefinatly)

Unlimited Internet and gps tracking for $6 a month with boost mobile!

Carputer 2: www.lmaocar.com

Comment

Working...
                              X