No announcement yet.

Completely disappointed/confused

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Completely disappointed/confused

Okay I have an old Compaq SFF Evo d510s desktop that I was gonna use for my carpc. Well I got everything installed and ready and got my touchscreen bezel made and all and bought the Opus 120 watt PSU not even thinking straight. Today when I went to wire it all in I realized the Opus which is ATX based (20 pin) will not work as the Compaq motherboard is a freaking 14 pin.

I have searched and searched and found nothing. My question is can I rewire the plug off the Compaq PSU to make it work with the Atx standard plug on the Opus? If I can will someone kindly lead me in the right direction or point me to a thread that explains the process. I am not that electronically inclinded but I can rewire things if I know what I am looking at. Thanks.

Looks like your not the only one...
    2005 Ford Focus ST

You sure thats enough power? Isnt that a 2ghz machine?
      2005 Ford Focus ST

I think 120 is fine for only what I am using it for. Only DVD, 40 gig hard drive, and Frodoplayer will be used. 120 watt should be enough right?

Thanks for linking that to me. I didn't even find that. My search ability sucks donkey balls.

Looks like most people just go the inverter route. I again searched but no clear answers. How does an inverter work with powering up the system and gracefully bringing it down? Can it do automatic restart/shutdown?

No. You'll need an an SDC (Startup/Shutdown Controller)
            Originally posted by ghettocruzer
            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
            Want to:
            -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
            -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Originally posted by CoolRex
              I think 120 is fine for only what I am using it for. Only DVD, 40 gig hard drive, and Frodoplayer will be used. 120 watt should be enough right?
              The applications you're going to use have no bearing on how much power the CPU and components will draw.
              No, 120w would be enough for that system. The CPU is a P4 2.4Ghz (according to what I found on Google.. They may have different CPUs at different speeds).
              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
              How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Yes it is a 2.4 gig P4 system. Are you saying that 120watt PSU won't be enough?

Sorry for all the questions, this is confusing me but I am trying to learn!

I took a look at Ashsoft's diagram but the PSU plug has two wire colors unaccounted for....a white wire with a red line, and a peach/pinkish wire. I can't find any info on the pinouts for the Compaq D510s mb to psu attachment. Grrrrr so close yet so far..........