OPUS? IBM Thinkpad 560

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPUS? IBM Thinkpad 560

can you power a laptop with opus, i would much rather use a inverter but i do now know how, i heard dc-dc is best can someone give me advice for powering my laptop and controling it on/of? i altered this digram and i need some input on if this will work and the best power sorce to use with my laptop and componets

Why.

Why not use one of these http://store.yahoo.com/priorityelect...hin600an1.html

It's 30 bucks, and will do what you want.

Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

The Opus power supplies are ATX spec.
      A laptop isn't ATX spec.

Again, I'm going to ask this all-important question:
      Why don't you get a car adapter designed specifically for your laptop. It's the cleanest, most efficient way of accomplishing what you want.

You could use an inverter, yes.
      Here's how it breaks down:
      The car's electrical system is DC. The inverter converts DC to AC. The power supply of your laptop then converts the AC from the inverter to DC that the laptop uses.

The car adapter for your laptop takes the DC fo the car and regulates it to a clean voltage that the laptop uses. No conversions. No waste. No bulky devices. Less potential for interference and RFI.
      When you're given advice multiple times, do you think we're talking out our collective ***?

With a quick Google, I found three vendors that have i
      exactly what you need for under $50.
      Here's one for $44.95 before shipping: http://www.dsmiller.com/html/Laptop-...560-DK-B10.htm

Now here's my gripe:
      You've asked the same question about powering your laptop three times in three sperate threads. You've been given the same answers all three times, but you continue to ask the same questions.
      Why?
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

http://www.targus.com/us/product_det...sp?sku=APD10US
        http://www.lindelectronics.com/cgi-b...al_DC_Adapters

i think im going to go with lind, does that soud good, is my digram ok though?

Comment

Originally posted by gunshotspunture
          http://www.targus.com/us/product_det...sp?sku=APD10US
          http://www.lindelectronics.com/cgi-b...al_DC_Adapters

i think im going to go with lind, does that soud good, is my digram ok though?
          Yes. Now you just got to get it to turn off and on automatically.

SEARCH BEFORE YOU POST.

Michael
          ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

wiring it to the ignition will not do it

Comment

wiring it to the ignition will not do it
              Only if when you unplug the adapter from the computer (the one you normally use at home) turns off and on the computer. I am almost POSITIVE it does not.

Michael

Comment

so what do i need to do so that when im using a dc-dc converter to have it power of the pc and not suck juice form battery

Comment

so what do i need to do so that when im using a dc-dc converter to have it power of the pc and not suck juice form battery

YOU NEED TO SEARCH

Comment

I have a dell 700m laptop as my install & I have it running with an opus 150.... BUT there are cheaper ways of doing this for sure... as I am ALSO using a lind car adaptor to ACTUALLY power the laptop, as it runs on 16v...

the opus supplys 12v for my lcd backlight & external drives & rear view camera, the 5v runs also to the firewire hardrive, as well as all the usb stuff... the 3.3v may eventually power some led's & the opus DOES actually startup & shut down the laptop.....

this is done by hacking the power button on the laptop & connecting it to the opus ps connection..... then the next thing is to trigger the "on" signal the ps looks for after the initial pulse.... this is done by having a 5v relay that gets tripped by the usb coming up on the laptop, which happens right away, like an atx board would do.... the 5v relay grounds the green wire to the opus atx connector... when the opus gets this signal it then powers all it's rails.... bang your running......

the opus stays on all through the ign cycle, then shuts exerything down on key off...... it works great.....

if I had to do it over I would get seperate point source power supplys & a seperate sequencer...... but I had the opus left over from my prior p4 install
                    MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

i think i will just go with the lind and i dont mind manuly turning it on and off, o just want to know what do i need to do to insure that the lind dc-dc inverter does not suck the life out of the battery this is what i will be using for my ibm 560 http://www.lindelectronics.com/cgi-b...al_DC_Adapters this is the right unit? i just need ot know what need to be done to power it on with out touching the laptop (i have read about button relocatin from docking station) but i do not know what kind of wire to reconect to the docking station button to extend it? and i dont know if the dc-dc will still take the life out of the batter when laptop is turned off

Comment

if the lind is connected to ign it can't drain the battery when the ign is off

if the battery is in the laptop set an alarm action at 90% to shutdown.... even if something goes wrong & the laptop doesn't shut down... it will run until the laptop battery dies....... won't kill car...... biggest problem with this araingment is powering the usb & accessories.... if there on ign then the pc will bug when you turn off the ign..... every situation is different & this may or may not be an issue.... if you connect the usb supply triggered off the usb laptop 5v, this will insure that the aux ps for usb is always powered when the laptop is powered... this can't kill your battery....

Comment

Originally posted by Wiredwrx
                          YOU NEED TO SEARCH

gunshotpunture, the answers to your questions are all here in these forums. You're not asking anything that hasn't been asked before.

You would do well to stop asking questions for a while, doing some reading and learning something on your own.
                          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

you can't install a pc in your car if you don't know what your doing... you do have to know alot..... you need to edjucate yourself in a lot of areas.... you won't get any one magic answer..... if you research & read about some of the things that guys have given you clues too, then your on the right path, but if you think that all of your questions will be answered as you ask them, this is not tech support.... well it is, but not in that way......

read..... read....... search for topics of interest........ read the first 20 threads completely in power supplys, then read a bunch of another.... & another....... or else you'll be ripping it out & starting over months from now,

if you don't learn you can't do this & you'll **** it up for sure........

you really should SEARCH & READ.>>> LEARN or have a pro install it for you.

Comment

Working...
                            X