two m2-atx

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• two m2-atx

it's possible to connect in parallel two m2-atx?

togheter on the ignition, togheter to the motherbord, hdd, etc and only one to the motherboard power pins...
    on each psu the same shutdown time (for hardoff only, because only one control the pc shutdown)...
    same diode on positive cable...

it's right?
    thank's

No. You can parallel wire the 2 together.
    But if you want to try it, go a head and tell us your experience.
    2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
    89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
    Y2K Accord Dell GX150
    RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
    EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Originally posted by MatrixPC
      No. You can parallel wire the 2 together.
      But if you want to try it, go a head and tell us your experience.
      Can or can't?

Seems feasible if you need 300w or so. Set the first one up with all the fancy startup and shutdown circuits and then set the second one up as a dummy supply that has no delayed turnoff, just on and off and jumper the mobo wires so it thinks the non-existant mobo is sending an all OK signal (if that is even necessary). When the first one powers up it can activate a relay that sends power to the second one.

I guess you'd set the main one to power the mobo and the second one to power the HDD, fans, CD-rom, usb hub, etc...

I'm sure it's been done with other PSU's, so it should work with the M2.
      1999 Black Pontiac Trans Am
      CarPC's in F-bodies
      How To Relocate Climate Controls on the 97-02 F-body Cars
      (AMD Sempron 3000+, Opus 150)
      Car PC system is out, Alpine system is in.

Comment

why in the world would anyone need that much power to a computer in a car envir.? Are you people running servers or something? Last i checked, it doesnt require much to run a PC for music, gps, movies, networking. Jeez...

Comment

Originally posted by [H]Bugster
          why in the world would anyone need that much power to a computer in a car envir.?
          Please don't waste posts. Help or don't post.
          CarPC's in F-bodies

Comment

Originally posted by JasonWW
            Please don't waste posts. Help or don't post.
            Waste posts? I fail to understand what that means.
            This is a community forum, i think i should be able to ask questions or comment if i feel compelled to do so. Im wasnt flaming anyone, so i dont see what the problem is here.

Comment

Arg! Twice I got my hopes up that someone was going to post something usefull as I really want to know if the M2's can be joined and twice I am disappointed because you are having a social discussion. Maybe you should check out the "off topic" section for social talk. Or check this thread:
              http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60720

No one here cares about the WHY someone needs that much power, this thread is about joining the M2's together.
              CarPC's in F-bodies

Comment

Originally posted by JasonWW View Post
                Arg! Twice I got my hopes up that someone was going to post something usefull as I really want to know if the M2's can be joined and twice I am disappointed because you are having a social discussion. Maybe you should check out the "off topic" section for social talk. Or check this thread:
                http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60720

No one here cares about the WHY someone needs that much power, this thread is about joining the M2's together.
                were you successful in doing this? I am thinking about adding an extra video card to my system but i seem to be lacking extra power. it would cheaper go get another m2-atx rather than getting the dsatx or the opus 250

Comment

dont know if it will work, but if u use a diode on every wire going to and from the two psu (before the splice) (so that one psu cant feed power intoo the other)it should be ok, would reccomend trying it on two old inhouse psu's, btw, the power on wires (green) cannot be spliced (i think),

Comment

i dont know about the m2-atx psu, however when i've dealth with 24v to 12v converters in a vehicle, and needed extra power, tried splicing two together i always found that one always worked harder (hotter). Even tried having equal cable lenghts and everything but no joy.

dunno if that helps or not, just my 2 cents.

Comment

it'd probably be best to use one M2 for the motherboard, and use the +12V rail to trigger a relay to turn on the second M2 (in dumb mode) which would power the HDD, monitor, USB hubs, etc. Hopefully there wouldn't be enough of a delay from when the second M2 receives power till the HDD starts spinning to cause problems with bootup.
                      -Jay

1997 Chevy S-10, ext. cab
                      CarPC Progress: 75% - Functional, but not quite finished.
                      Check out my progress.

Comment

So no one has been successful in implementing this?

Has anyone been successful in implementing any of the DC-DC PSUs with turn on and what not in the car environment?
                        Jan Bennett
                        FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I should work ... (maybe) ... you might as well try it.
                          The M1 specs say that the PSU comes up, then waits a second until it activates the boot switch. So may 6 seconds from when you turn on until boot starts. So with a small relay you could activate the second one in dumb mode. Nothing more complicated than in the old days when ther were external cases for hard disks and SCSI drives.

But ... watch the power lines between the two. That is, treat everthing on the second PSU as "external devices". Best bet would be to power the monitor and external USB hub and disks. All that would connect the two would be the signal cables.

And ... watch ground line issues. It may not be a problem but to be safe make sure both PSUs are close and you ground both to the same spot (preferrably clode to the PSU).

Let me know how it works .... I had planned to do something similar for a truck install and want to see how yours works out.

Cheers!
                          ... Mike ...

Comment

i would think that it would work fine, just so long as the M2 powersupplies are isolated (meaning there is some break in physical connection such as a transformer or inductor) otherwise, i would just see it pulling from the PS with the least resistance to it.
                            but im no expert, didnt spend enough time in electronics in college (altho i wanted to)
                            im intrested to see if it does work too, not for any particular reason, just sounds cool
                            It works!!

Almost all of the time too!

Comment

Ok guys... you all were trying to think too hard about it. No need to splice all the wires together. I drew up this diagram which will allow you to hook up 2 M2-ATX power supplies together. Wire the first one up as illustrated below, set to MODE 0 - ATX Dumb Mode. The +12vdc splice is from the first power supply off a yellow (+12) line. There will be next to nothing for power draw, since a normal relay doesn't pull much current, so it's not going to hurt your supplies. The second one which powers your motherboard should be strapped (with the jumpers - see the M2-ATX manual -here-) to whatever MODE you are using for your startup/shutdown mode. I use MODE 1. Hope this helps

/EDIT: Removed misleading diagram so there is no confusion.

NOTE: IF YOU'D LIKE A LARGER VIEW OF THIS DIAGRAM, CLICK -[ HERE ]-

Comment

Working...
                              X