Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does desktop power supply need to be turned on?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does desktop power supply need to be turned on?

When I bring my carPC indoors I want to connect it a desktop atx psu.

I am running a via epia mii10000 w/ a m1atx...

I connected the m1atx to 12V and GND from the desktop PSU (took from 4pin molex connector, not the 20pin connector) and changed the jumper setting to "normal psu" mode.... Plugged in the desktop PSU, tapped the motherboard 'on' pins, and nothing happened. Checked the voltage coming out of the desktop PSU and there is nothing and the fan in the psu's case is not running..... I get the impression the desktop psu is 'off'. Is there something I need to do to tell the PSU to 'turn on'..?

I also tried to change the jumper settings on the m1atx and connect the ign wire to 12V.. still nothing.

Did i break my psu somewhere along the line?

Ultimately if i have a desktop psu, plugged into the wall with absolutely nothing connected to it and check the voltage of its molex connectors(both 5V and 12V) should I see a voltage? Can i take power from the 20pin connector instead of the molex?

Thanks
    B Smoov
    Project Status: 90% Complete

Next Step: TIVO for Radio

Ampie Case :: MII10000 Mobo :: M1-ATX PSU :: 512MB RAM :: 2.5" HD, 60GB, 5400rpm, 16MB Buffer :: DWW-700H :: Centrafuse

http://www.hardwarebook.net/connecto.../atxpower.html

short pins 14('power on') to 13.

thanks
    B Smoov
    Project Status: 90% Complete

Next Step: TIVO for Radio

Ampie Case :: MII10000 Mobo :: M1-ATX PSU :: 512MB RAM :: 2.5" HD, 60GB, 5400rpm, 16MB Buffer :: DWW-700H :: Centrafuse

Comment

Working...
    X