playstation power supply??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• playstation power supply??

alright, this is a little off topic, but still a power question. searching the net on lunch today, i came across a page where some guy built a portable playstation. now, i got a little excited...only to be shot down by the fact that all he used was an invertor...doh. so, i thought i would ask the circuit gods here at mp3car if anyone has made or modified the power supply for a playstation so it can run off of 12v dc. kinda a shot in the dark, but i figuered why not try...

~mike
    Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
    PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
    2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

wats the supply required for the playstation .... never used it so dont know

Comment

well im not sure of the output power. but it takes 120v ac, and i know that there is a power board on the inside. im at work now so i have no way to check. maybe i will check the board this weekend, when i have some time. maybe someone else knows....hopefully

~mike

Comment

Depends on the model of playstation. Playstation models older than SPCH-500x all take 120v household current and have the psu inside. models SPCH -> PSOne use an AC Adapter. I don't know the voltage off hand, but you can buy a cigarette lighter adapter (and even a portable screen) for the PSOne

Comment

I looked into this a while back for the same reasons but I never went anywhere with it. I did find that the original Play Station with the internal 110V power supply used 7.5V from that supply. The same goes for the newer PSOne, only with an external wall-wort power supply.
          Still workin' on it.
          FUBA Homepage

Comment

well off the top of my head i have the 7001 series. it has a traditional ac power cord that simply pugs into the back of the unit. all the power regulating circuitry is inside the case, nothing external.

so based on the replies so far, the simplest answer is to regulate the 12v down to 7.5 volts. i would also have to verify the input current as well to make sure that is correct. if i can get all the data, hopefully someone can help me throw together a quick circuit.

~mike

Comment

if you're doing it on the cheap then by all means go for hacking your 7000, but my personal reccomendation is to just get a PS One. They're built better to be carried around like that.

Comment

Sony has made a cig. adapter for the Playstation and the lcd monitor that you can get. the adapter is $39.99. I know Toys R Us has em (thats where i work).
                2004 F-150
                Shuttle XPC, 80gig HD, Wireless Internet, DVD
                "How piMP3d is your ride??"

Comment

ive got no problems with ripping apart the old one i have. got a ps2 now so i dont really have a use for the old playstation. i really dont want to use the inverter cuz i dont want the extra rf noise that will most likely result.

~mike

Comment

the adapter i mentioned above is NOT an inverter. it plugs from the playstation into the cig. adapter or straight to the engine. if you want to make ur own, thats cool too, i figured i better clear that up quick.
                    2004 F-150

Comment

i thought that adapter is only for the ps1, since the new ps1's have the external power supply. if it will work with the original playstations then it might be a possible solution.

~mike

Comment

sorry, after looking into it some more i found that it does only work for the PSOne and not the older versions. ill be interested in hearing what happens with your research because i have an original Playstation (got it 1 week after they came out), and ive thought about throwing it in the car. again, sorry i was no help.
                        2004 F-150

Comment

hey, no harm done. at least someone it putting some input into this thread... anyway, i pulled apart my psx last night, for about the 10th time since ive had it. and i have the 5 wire power supply. (5 wires from ps to main board)

now, can i simply start tapping the outputs of the connectors with a multimeter and read what the voltages are. should i just tap 2 pins and read the voltages, or should i tap 1 pin and use a ground? note to everyone, there is no black wire, so i dont know which is used as a ground (if any).

someone with some circuit testing experience help me get started.

~mike

Comment

Rule of thumb, try the earth pin on the plug if you need a ground, if it has an earth that is.

Rob
                            And you say people actually pay money for M$ Windows?
                            www.mp3mini.co.uk (Does what it says on the URL) www.openclassic.co.uk (The new car, with zero rust!) www.rob-web.co.uk (My other site)
                            Total re-design underway: on the whole progress is very slow as the car is taking up too much time :)

Comment

Have you tried an inverter yet? I have a dreamcast running off an inverter and have zero noise.

Comment

Working...
                              X