"Dumb" Power Supply with 12V and 5V Output

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Dumb" Power Supply with 12V and 5V Output

Looking for a small power supply, to provide a solid regulated 12V to run my Xenarc screen, and a regulated 5V for a DVD burner and a powered USB hub. Obviously doesn't need to be high output, but I want it to survive battery cranking. And, by "dumb" in the title, I don't want a shutdown sequence, or anything like that; it will take it's shutdown cue from the main power supply (a DSX12VD) which provides a good ACC line,t hat will turn off when the computer turns off.

The reason I am not going with a 12V POL is because they all state that input voltage must be 1-2V higher than the desired output voltage. So, when the engine is not running in my car, the battery voltage is about 12.5 or so, and I would like to have a solid 12 volts to my Xenarc, in order to maintain image stability and display life, rather than subjecting it to a flucuating voltage

I think the Carnetix CNX-P1290 will do the trick, is there anything I am missing?

Dave
    2005 Infiniti G35 6MT Coupe Black/Black
    Core Duo CarPC
    CarDomain page

I was looking for something for a powered USB hub, and while I was looking at hubs I noticed it requires 7.5Volts. Just a heads up.

While I'm at it, anyone able to link me to a schematic to make a 7.5volt supply?

Comment

Thanks, but the specific hubs I have all require 5 V. I was sure to check that when I bought them (actually, before I bought them, 5V or 12V was a requirement, nothing in between)
      2005 Infiniti G35 6MT Coupe Black/Black
      Core Duo CarPC
      CarDomain page

Comment

Originally posted by Caelric
        I think the Carnetix CNX-P1290 will do the trick, is there anything I am missing?
        It will do what you need.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
          89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
          Y2K Accord Dell GX150
          RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
          EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
            It will do what you need.

Have a question about the carnetix, will it allow the computer (notebook carpc I am using) to remain on when you turn off the car?

- Tony

Comment

Same questions here. I am considering getting carnetix p1260 just to have stable 12V for my Tview, which needs 10W only though (would love a cheaper solution if possible), but how do you supply 12V with car not running?

Thanks a lot in advance!

P.S. Read a little more here and there, looks like Carnetix is way to go, since it can take 7.5VDC and ive out still 12V when engine is off.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladzio
                Same questions here. I am considering getting carnetix p1260 just to have stable 12V for my Tview, which needs 10W only though (would love a cheaper solution if possible), but how do you supply 12V with car not running?
                The battery.
                Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
                  The battery.
                  I incorrectly fraised(sp?) my question, I believe. I read carnetix specs and there is a wire than needs to be hooked up to some power source that goes on or off with ignition. When, I said with engine not running, I meant to say keys out of ignition. Therefore, I believe I would need to hook that wire to some constant 12V or just keep keys in with IGN on. As well as get voltage regulator to keep an eye on the battery charge.

Comment

Originally posted by JjSwee
                    I was looking for something for a powered USB hub, and while I was looking at hubs I noticed it requires 7.5Volts. Just a heads up.

While I'm at it, anyone able to link me to a schematic to make a 7.5volt supply?
                    Sure, try an LM338K http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM138.pdf

Michael
                    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

the carnetix will supply power for a set amount of time after you turn the ignition off... for some reason 15 minutes is sticking in my mind...
                      Pentium 4m 1.5GHz|MB896|Roadie Extreme|XM-Direct|Rikaline 6010|T-View 7"|Streetdeck|160gb Western Digital|1Gb DDR2-533 Ram

Comment

Originally posted by strohj
                        the carnetix will supply power for a set amount of time after you turn the ignition off... for some reason 15 minutes is sticking in my mind...
                        Roger that...

Comment

the carnetix will supply power for a set amount of time after you turn the ignition off...
                          You could add a "valet switch" to override the ignition switch. There are several vaiations on this concept. Here's one.
                          http://www.carnetix.com/forum/viewto...ighlight=valet
                          MikeH

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
                            You could add a "valet switch" to override the ignition switch. There are several vaiations on this concept. Here's one.
                            http://www.carnetix.com/forum/viewto...ighlight=valet
                            Nice and simple!

Comment

Working...
                            X