Clear All

• need help with power requirements

I have the following setup

FIC Mainboard AZ11E
    AMD Thunderbird 900mhx
    GeForce 4200 graphics card
    Soundblaster live 24bit sound card
    2 X 512mb pc133
    4 usb devices (touchscreen, gps, keyboard, wireless adapter)
    60gb notebook hard drive

Everything works fine on workbench using a/c psu, initially worked in the car first 3 times turned on using M1-ATX psu. now the only thing I get is a week cpu fan and usb devices light up, but computer wont boot. tried using inverter and pc psu to test if this was problems with M1Atx and it booted just fine. Obviously at this point I believe its a power issue. My question is this, given my setup should the M2-ATX be enough to power this or if not can anyone offer suggetions on what psu I should use. I would like to use something that incorporates startup/shutdown and regulator all in one like the M2-ATX.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Originally posted by trickyuno
    I have the following setup

FIC Mainboard AZ11E
    AMD Thunderbird 900mhx
    GeForce 4200 graphics card
    Soundblaster live 24bit sound card
    2 X 512mb pc133
    4 usb devices (touchscreen, gps, keyboard, wireless adapter)
    60gb notebook hard drive

Everything works fine on workbench using a/c psu, initially worked in the car first 3 times turned on using M1-ATX psu. now the only thing I get is a week cpu fan and usb devices light up, but computer wont boot. tried using inverter and pc psu to test if this was problems with M1Atx and it booted just fine. Obviously at this point I believe its a power issue. My question is this, given my setup should the M2-ATX be enough to power this or if not can anyone offer suggetions on what psu I should use. I would like to use something that incorporates startup/shutdown and regulator all in one like the M2-ATX.

Thanks in advance for any help.

The DSATX should do the job nicely and it has more features and flexibility than the M2 or M1 if you can afford the price.
    MPEGBOX - Plexiglass Computer
    www.mpegbox.com

Comment

Always the salesman, zootjeff!
      You've every right to. DSATX gets great reviews. It's certainly my choice when I can afford a DC PSU.

That CPU draws roughly 50w max. The M1ATX supplies 2amps on the 12v rail. 2amps X 12volts = 24 watts. So there's your problem right there. Why it powered it up even once, i have no idea. The math says it shouldn't have, especially with the big honkin' 3D video card you've got in there.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
        Always the salesman, zootjeff!
        You've every right to. DSATX gets great reviews. It's certainly my choice when I can afford a DC PSU.

That CPU draws roughly 50w max. The M1ATX supplies 2amps on the 12v rail. 2amps X 12volts = 24 watts. So there's your problem right there. Why it powered it up even once, i have no idea. The math says it shouldn't have, especially with the big honkin' 3D video card you've got in there.

will the m2atx do the job or should I go with the dsatx

Thanks,

Comment

Thanks,

Whoa, the dsatx is 190.00 would it not make more sense to just us the m1atx i already have an pay 200.00 for mini-itx board setup?

Comment

Thanks,
            If Temperature protection, LED diganostics on board, adjustable low voltage detection, serial port connectivity, extra power to allow room to grow, support direct from the designer, and supporting US manufacturing are of value to you, go with the DSATX. Otherwise get the M2-ATX.

-Jeff
            MPEGBOX - Plexiglass Computer
            www.mpegbox.com

Comment

Heh. Jeff is right, you really do get what you pay for. I can vouch for him, great customer service, and a great product as well. Worth every penny!

Dave
              2005 Infiniti G35 6MT Coupe Black/Black
              Core Duo CarPC
              CarDomain page

Comment

Working...
              X